This is So Perfect

1. lol they already deleted it!

2. The Original that guy

July 12, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Man, fuck ESPN. I get that they have a contract for nba media rights, but basketball fucking sucks. Seriously. Its a whole bunch of spoiled thugs dunking and playing little defense. The. Few white gusy playing are either white trash from the USA, or foreign players like dirk and Nash. Ok i get it most hockey players are canuck, but fuck itnhas everything i want, scoring action, shooting, and hitting/fighting. Rivalry games are so intense. Philly pittsburgh for example. There is no rivalry anymore in the NBA.

ESPN do the right thing and put some more hockey on SC.

3. @bert, i just checked it, it’s not deleted. but that was the ultimate comeback.

4. espn has been gettin served lately

5. Oh the Humanity

July 12, 2013 at 1:34 pm

You are right. Perfection….I pray that I live to see the day that ESPN tumbles from its righteous glass house .

6. Lafferty, Daniel

July 12, 2013 at 1:41 pm

The Sharks are giving the Kings a run for best NHL Twitter feed. #shitthebeach

7. Haha. They just trashed the Blues Twitter feed, too!
    Meanwhile, the Phillies, who don’t know how long a homestand is.

8. And now back to live coverage of The 2013 RE/MAX World Long Drive Championship on ESPN

9. I truly miss ESPN’s hockey coverage.

Back in the day when they actually broadcast the games (!), they did a terrific job.

10. the espn reign is just about over. who the fuck watches espn anymore? also, as far as sharknado is concerned count me in teh select few who gladly paid it no mind. you sheep are pathetic, i am currently contemplating un-following those on twitter that did watch–my philly sports info would take a serious hit (not from this site of course) but i have a hard time respecting people that would have time to piss away watching such garbage–i’d rather pop in my old son of a beach dvd’s

• Alright Senator McCarthy, calm the fuck down. Its a silly fuckin movie meant to be over the top and stupid. If it really pisses you off that much then I dont know what to say…Go smoke some pot or get a big bowl of ice cream or somethin.

11. hey “The Original that guy” I couldn’t have said it better….
    so true, you’d think now that the season and the draft is over that the non-stop NBA coverage would slow down….nope….I can’t watch the channel anymore..

12. Todd Van Poppel

July 12, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Espn lame jokes on sc make it unwatchable

13. The other day, ESPN mentioned the names of the people who were elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame. It took all of about 15 seconds. No pictures, video highlights, career stats or anything. They then proceeded to show highlights of NBA SUMMER LEAGUE games. Yes that’s right, fucking summer league. Games played in gyms where no one even watches them live got more coverage than the Hockey Hall of Fame.

14. ESPN blows…way too much arrogance, over-hyping, and forced stories. I refuse to watch it anymore. Join me. NBC Sports is tolerable and looks promising with the new EPL rights.

15. What do you hockey idiots not understand about this. Espn is a business concerned with generating the highest ratings possible and promoting the leagues they have contracts with. As much as you may not want to believe this, hockey is well behind the other sports in ratings. The majority of Americans care more about the nba than the NHL so espn puts way more basketball talk on their shows than hockey. Compare the ratings from the nba and NHL finals this year.. It’s laughable how low hockey’s were.

• Lafferty, Daniel

July 12, 2013 at 5:47 pm

If they’re not going to cover hockey then they shouldn’t call themselves the Worldwide Leader of Sports.

Everybody understands why hockey isn’t covered on ESPN as much as the NFL, NBA, and MLB. What people don’t understand is why SportsCenter will spend more time covering Tim Tebow than the Stanley Cup Final.

ESPN’s ratings have been falling off over the past two years and once Fox Sports 1 hits the air they’re going to have some legitimate competition.

• Truthfully, i dont think most fans understand why it isnt covered as much as the other three leagues. All we ever hear out of hockey people is “oh the nba sucks” or “hockey is so much more exciting” it’s like they have the red headed stepchild syndrome and feel the need to thrash other sports to feel better about their own not being top dog.
        The problem is espn does cover hockey, it just doesn’t get as much air time as hockey fans want. It’s not like they go an entire hour without even mentioning the sport at all when its in season. While I too suffer from tebow bore, they realize he’s a polarizing figure and use that to generate ratings.. Which is more ratings than running hockey highlights would bring.
        As much as I would love to see fox sports 1 take down espn I doubt it’ll provide any true competition. There was a lot of buzz surrounding NBC sports network’s launch and that really didn’t do much.

• Lafferty, Daniel

July 12, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Do you ever read Bristolnomics on Deadspin? Last year, they literally spent more time talking about the Miami Heat in one month than the talked about the NHL all season. Literally.
          That’s why people bash ESPN’s NHL coverage.

• I’ve never really read deadspin but after I read your comment I found one of the bristolmetrics from jan that was saying how espn doesn’t give a shit about the NHL because they only devoted 13.5 total mins, out of 560 total sc mins for the week, to hockey while they’re in the middle of their regular season and devoted 16 mins to MLB in their offseason. The only counter point I’d make to that writer is that even the most hardcore hockey fan would admit that regular season hockey doesn’t mean shit. However, that article says they talked about the heat for 20.5 mins so it must not be the same article you’re referencing.
            In regards to the stat you mentioned, I hate the way articles will use numbers like that that at face value look ridiculous but if you delve deeper they may not be so insane.. If you told me the month you were talking about was when the heat were in a middle of a playoff/ nba final run I really wouldn’t be surprised that that got more coverage than the NHL for the year. Like I said before, even hardcore hockey fans don’t pay 100% attention to the regular season so you can def expect espn to only provide true coverage for the playoffs.. Which last what 2 months tops?
            I understand your frustration with espn. Hopefully fxsp1 provides broader coverage. I just get mad when hockey fans feel the need to put down other sports.

16. ThePhillyFlash

July 13, 2013 at 9:28 am

The cynic in me has always believed ESPN deliberately went out of its way to ignore the NHL because of their hissy fit over letting Versus/NBC Sports Network snatch up the NHL broadcast contract. So ESPN decided that if they don’t have the broadcast rights for hockey, it no longer exists to them.

While its true that hockey is the redheaded stepchild of the four major sports, and ESPN has to bring people what they think has the greatest interest (and, in turn, draw the highest possible ratings), to shunt hockey off into some dark corner like they’ve done is reprehensible if not irresponsible. But let Bristol get back broadcast rights to NHL and you’ll see hockey all over the place.

Meanwhile, I agree with Cole that FOX Sports 1 (dumb name by the way) won’t amount to much, if any sort of a threat to ESPN. Oh, sure, people will tune in at first, if but for no other reason than curiosity, but it won’t unseat the colossus in Bristol.

• gotta remember NBC Sports is changing. once the contracts run out on all those shitty hunting shows Versus had (part of the buyout was that NBC had to keep showing them, im pretty sure), they can really change their system, have a highlight show, etc. NBC does a great job during events (US Open for example) with their small segments of sports highlights. They also got some great talent at NBC if they wanted to make a run (someone like Dan Patrick would just LOVE to dethrone ESPN). Both companies are picking up talent, and ESPN is driving everyone away with fuckers like Skip Bayless.

One can only hope either there is a takeover or ESPN realizes they are threatened and are currently shitty and overhall the system. who knwows tho.

17. Hockey blows. Nobody gives a fuck. That’s why it’s not on ESPN.