It’s Official: Rob Ellis to Join Anthony Gargano, Josh Innes Added to Lineup

Confirming our two previous reports – that Rob Ellis would join Anthony Gargano and that Josh Innes would join the station – CBS Philly just sent out the following press release:

SportsRadio 94WIP, Philadelphia’s premier sports radio station, announced today new hosts for its afternoon and evening programs beginning on Friday, Jan. 3, 2014.  The announcements were made by Andy Bloom, WIP Operations Manager.

Joining afternoon co-host Anthony Gargano is six-year station veteran Rob Ellis. Ellis, the four-time winner of the Great Birds Debate and WIP evening host since 2010, is already one of WIP’s most respected and popular anchors and will be heard weekdays from 1:00-6:00PM, ET on-air, online a tCBSPhilly.com and via the Radio.com app for a variety of mobile devices.

“Rob is an outstanding broadcaster whose talent has been recognized by the local media, listeners and Philadelphia’s biggest names in sports,” said Bloom.  “Pairing him with ‘The Cuz’ creates a one-of-a-kind combination of sports savants who will deliver a wildly entertaining program each day.”

“I am thrilled and excited for the opportunity to move to afternoons with Anthony, who I consider the voice of Philadelphia sports,” said Ellis.  “I’m looking forward to sharing with listeners the compelling sports dramas that unfold every day.”

Following Gargano and Ellis will be one of sports radio’s rising stars, Josh Innes, weekdays from 6:00-10:00PM.  Innes comes to WIP from CBS RADIO’s all-sports station in Houston, Sports Radio 610 (KILT) where he has been hosting afternoon drive for the past three years.  He started at KILT in 2009.

Added Bloom, “Josh has the sports knowledge and strong opinions that are consistent with the original DNA of WIP.  Fans of SportsRadio 94WIP will appreciate Josh’s style and instantly connect to his personality.”

As expected.

1. Only WIP would fluff a dude’s credentials and try to make him seem legit by saying he is the four-time winner of a lame ass debate that they created.

That said, I like Ellis, but not because he won that shit.

• Thor From Chester- The West End

December 19, 2013 at 4:28 pm

It was painfully obvious Gargano needed some kind of help. WIP afternoon ratings would have been subterranean with another couple days of Gargano flying solo. “Where You at with the 4 for 4 ? ”

I’m sure they are paying the guys a decent salary. Do some homework and stop with that ridiculous cackling and laughing every sentence fragment. HAAAAA HAAAAA HHHHHAAA!!!

Its kind of sad that Philadelphia sports fans have to deal with Cataldi and Gargano. Basically 2 loud mouth hacks with very little insight. .

2. Who cares?

3. They should have gave me the slot so I could talk about my ugly son, and my out of work husband.

4. Yeah, a dude from Houston is going to play well in Philadelphia.

• The move from Houston certainly was a disaster for Harry Kalas. What ever happened to that loser?

• Especially a “dude” from Houston that love the Cardinals, Chiefs, and LSU. Knows nothing about hockey, neither do I, but I’m from the Houston area. Every story will be about one of those 3 teams He had a following, but it’s sophmoric b.s. which you can get anywhere, and the guy is barely 30, doesn’t know a lot of history, knew nothing in Houston, The only reason the afternoon show in Houston he was on had ratings was they’ve been the established sports station in the market since ’97 and have the Texans.

• Actually, he’s a fat, hipster, contrarian, St. Louis Cardinals fan from Louisiana. I hope Philadelphia puts him in his place.

• JOSH INNES: He mirrors his self-loathing on the world like a virulent strain of H1N1. Philly, he’s all yours.

• Josh Innes will not last 365 days in Philly he’ s a weak wuss who degrades callers, harasses women, talks openly about his sexual adventures, and treats women like trash. He should go over real well up north. Philly fan do what they do in my former jome town Chicago, kick his wussy behind every freaking day. I hope you all have another sports talk radio station to listen to in the afternoon.

• HOrseface Hughes

December 22, 2013 at 8:18 pm

“osh Innes will not last 365 days in Philly he’ s a weak wuss who degrades callers, harasses women, talks openly about his sexual adventures, and treats women like trash. He should go over real well up north. Philly fan do what they do in my former jome town Chicago, kick his wussy behind every freaking day. I hope you all have another sports talk radio station to listen to in the afternoon.”

Sounds like a younger Cataldi, and he has been raping this city dirty since the late 80’s.

• Josh Inness is not from Houston. He is from Baton Rouge, La. I want to thank you so much for hiring this guy. He got a free pass from people in Houston because of southern hospitality. I hope you folks make him cry like a little girl. He is a self centered baby that likes to provoke people when there is no chance of having to back it up. Please, please crush him.

5. Eric from Champ nutrition

December 19, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I’m shocked with the way macnow eats, he hasn’t dropped dead of a heart attack yet

6. Good reporting Kyle, CB was the only outlet from day one that had this story.

Raw deal for Macnow but I understand why they’re trying to get younger. Gargano and Ellis seems like an odd pair but they’ve worked well together whenever Ellis has filled in for Macnow in the past.

7. The dude from Houston better have thick skin though, I don’t know if he knows just what level of angry retarded bullshit he’s in for from callers/tweeters as a radio personality in Philly.

• He has thin skin and he is from Lousyanna not Texas we wouldn’t claim this Katrini refugee. You all are going to eat his phucking lunch. I am tunning in via internet to listen to you all rip this puss another backside.

• WilliamRobert…did josh innis screw your mom and wife in the same night? Lol. Loser

• Josh_Innes_Sucks

December 22, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Innes is horrible. And apparently his skanky daddy issues girlfriend who dj’s a failed show is moving with him. He has no sports knowledge and tries to make everything about him, his lame sex comments, his dumb dad who once voiced scooby doo, his granny, LSU, St Louis Cardinails or black & gay people hopefully loving him.

• hey chris anybody who says the r word is a asshole fuck you man

8. Great another mike miss Riley Cooper show today. Off to blobber fat mouth cuz

9. Mike Miss is doing a show about his twitter and blog posts today. Should be interesting to see some of these comments read on air.

10. Hey Anthony my dick needs to be sucked meet me at pinzios

11. Great another mike miss Riley Cooper show today. Off to blobber fat mouth cuz !

12. SexualChocolateBaby

December 19, 2013 at 3:34 pm

@Denny Falcone, so I’m not the only O&A listener here?

• IT’S been a lousy week of radio for O&A. I hope tomorrow is better with the idiots all in.

• "Uncle" Paul Hargis

December 19, 2013 at 6:34 pm

I feel its safe to say, based on how brutal many of the commenters are here, that many of us are fans of that delightful show. I also feel comfortable saying Denny Falcone is mein furher.

13. Your washed up Old Pal, Glen Macnow

December 19, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Well they finally did it. They shoved me out the door and to boot they bring in some clown from Houston to do the 6-10pm slot. A town with no hockey team. One of the worse baseball teams in recent memory and an choking dog of an NFL team. Sounds like someone who is really qualified to discuss Philly sports. Why not give Jolly or JodyMac the 6-10pm shift. Better yet why not gives it to someone who really deserves it, MEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

14. I heard Bernie from Broomall has a big dick

15. I heard Bernie from Broomall has a big dick !

16. Ellis is the guy who tries to appear smart & insightful but isn’t. Gargano just plays up the phoney Italian stereotype too much & is overbearing.

I predict that Ellis tries to slurp Gargano hard but Gargano tires of him in less than 2 years.

• Thor From Chester- The West End

December 19, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Now that you mention it Gargano always seems to survive but its his co-host that always ends up getting fired or demoted.

• nobody knows nothing

December 19, 2013 at 4:54 pm

ellis is an angry, humorless, dweeb. he must have practiced cliches for years as he speaks almost exclusively in them. but still hasn’t mastered the language (shares this handicap with gargano) constantly misuses words (misnomer for misconception is a big one).

cuz and ellis together means i’m moving to 97.5 in the afternoons…

• ellis at least actually knows sports and has a chance of giving me something i haven’t thought of. I’d rather not switch to Eskin 2.0 aka “The man who revolutionized what great Philadelphia sports radio is all about.” lol what a fucking ridiculous ego it takes to want that as your opening in an “about me.”

• Cary Williams Interior Decorator

December 19, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Ellis isn’t that bad. He comes across as stale sometimes but hes better than Gargano. 97.5 sucks outside of Bruno/Mayes.

17. He’s better off getting away from the cuz, yuck! Sick ride bro!

O&A guy here too!

• Damn it, I posted as Paul Hargis above, then scrolled down to see you here. So now and henceforth, I call the name Lyle Chipperson. Tss.

18. I am hoping in purgatory that Gargano has to eat an endless supply of horrible Primo hoagies including some of their rancid tuna fish hoagies until his gullet bursts only to have to repeat it daily.

19. Mike miss won’t be happy until Riley Cooper is lynched on a crane a la Brody

20. Bring back Bill Campbell!

21. Macnow had to go – the times have passed him by and CBS gave him an exit with as much dignity as possible. Rob Ellis is probably the smartest talking head in Philly and will be great with Gargano. Should be entertaining.

22. Rob Ellis and Gargano=Mikey Miss FTW
    I can’t stand Garganos voice. Dude you aren’t from South Philly

23. Happy in Houston

December 19, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Hey Philly fans, Houstonian here. You guys have a national reputation for being merciless. I hope you live up to your rep when it comes to reacting to Innes. Houstonians were too nice to his clown act. He doesn’t know anything about sports, and quite obviously would rather attempt jokes about the waitresses at a remote location. He thinks he’s funny, thinks he’s irreverent. He’s neither. Has a massively inflated ego with nothing to back it up.

He’s a middlebrow doughboy with a wet rag in his skull. A couple months ago he got in a rather heated argument with his co-host, on air, that got personal. He was clearly on the edge of losing it while the co-host remained calm and amused. Please, Philly fans, make him cry on air. Make him resign from the business in tears.

24. Gargano is a fraud and I feel sorry fpr Macnow…they’ve taken to calling him a broken man, defeated, beaten, dispirited, hopeless—but then, they have access to a thesaurus.
    Mikey Miss can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of him at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don’t even invite him.
    Eskin still has no idea what makes most women tick, despite having asked literally hundreds of certified watchmakers.
    Cataldi is more than just a collection of annoying, loosely bundled neuroses. There are some entertaining, tightly wound psychoses in there, too.
    And Rhea…she always considered the difference psychological, so she was horrified to learn that men and women also have substantial physical distinctions. What people don’t understand is that the drinking, casual sex, and off-color jokes are the only way of coping with the pressures of reading the weather report.

25. Over The Hill Macnow

December 19, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Don’t worry fans nobodies gonna keep old Glen down. I’ll always be with you. Something tells me I’ll become a radio legend kinda like Kris Gamble and Joe Pelligrino. Just a little inside info here but they asked me to fill in for Big Daddy when he takes a couple days off for his big show in Media next year. Old Glen’s gonna be eating good that week in the Tasty Kake Studios. Goose gonna leave Cuz a surprise.

26. Gargano is stealing money

December 19, 2013 at 8:22 pm

How many co-hosts is this now for the cuz?

Missanelli
    Martorano
    Missanelli again
    Macnow

At some point don’t we have to look at the GUMBA who still doesn’t know how to properly run a radio show? How is this guy doing drive time in Philly???

27. I read this story and then figured I would read the comments, I was amazed at the amount of stupid , waste of time comments that were posted. Amazing, your parents and children must really be happy to be related to you people

• Who are you, the Goombah’s childhood friend BOB?

Either that, or you’re from out-of-town, and don’t realize that 95% of the on-air “talent” at the 2 sports-talk stations are complete wastes of space.

“Now hit the road, or we’ll beat your brains in.”

28. I agree with Bob Solorio. Angelo’s description of Rhea doesn’t do her justice. Oh, by the way she’s running in the 6th race at pimlico this Saturday. Clark stop eating mommies oats !

29. I Hate Steven Singer!

December 19, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Angelo better watch out, his neck could be next. CBS Radio across the country is dumping bloated veteran salaries faster than Ruben Amaro can get his hands on ‘em. At some point the shtick of a 60 year-old man fawning over 18 year-old strippers is going to grow old, Philly.

30. Does anyone know whether rhea’s son is retarded? He must be from rhea banging jolovitz.

31. This will be Da Cuz’s seventh partner..

Macnow twice
    Missanelli twice
    Martarano twice

And now Ellis

32. I still can’t figure this out. WIP wastes money to bring in that blowhard Barkann and they can’t find any money for Macnow. Barkann is overexposed and basically parrots the same drivel he delivers on his CSN shows. They must be paying this bum from Houston nothing to do the 6-10 shift. By removing Ellis from those hours you are weakening that shift and gaining little by bring him in the afternoons. Age has nothing to do with this. Mike Francesa is Glen’s age and his show on WFAN is a huge moneymaker. Chris Russo is also south of fifty and he is doing well on Sirius. On the whole almost all the hosts on WFAN other than Boomer and Carton are old. Mikey Miss is the same age or close to Macnow’s age. Mikey just acts younger because he is a fan of Alt music. In reality all the movies and TV shows he references are identical to what Glen talks about.

Cataldi is over 60 and he’s being paid 1 million +. There has to be a reason behind this and it’s not money or age. What are they going to do when Rob Ellis wants to get paid, fire his ass too. Macnow should have walked. Doing “Reporters Round-up” on KYW 1060, seriously and his three hour love fest with Ray Didinger on Saturday. Ray was ten times better with either Ellis or Reuben Frank. They actually talked football and other sports than Glen wasting half the show on nonsense.

33. I can’t believe the amount of people on here who have so much to say, yet hide behind a screen name. I am disgusted at the amount of personal attacks on the men and women of WIP and 97.5. What a sad group of people with nothing better to do than hide behind a computer screen and fire off nasty, hurtful, and disgusting comments for cheap laughs and a feeling of own self-worth. Whether you like the on-air personnel of these radio stations or not, there is absolutely no reason for this.

I am not happy with WIP’s decision on Glen Macnow’s new role with CBS, but I agree when Rob Ellis filled in for Macnow, he and Anthony Gargano had some good shows. I am definitely going to miss “Who’s That Guy?” and hope they keep the “4 for 4″ when it comes up again. Wasn’t a big fan of Ellis’s listener debates, but I will keep an open mind on everything. I am very uneasy on bringing in Innes, but I know nothing about him and will give him a chance as well. One thing is for sure, it only takes a second to change the channel so I hope WIP is working hard to keep me listening!

Good luck to Glen, Rob, Anthony, Josh Innes, and everyone at WIP!

Again, my real name is my screen name. I do not shy away from identifying myself when I make public comments.

34. Beat It Hoagie Mouth

December 20, 2013 at 9:13 am

Those “Bob Means Jobs” commercials of Gargano’s are the worst! “Meet my childhood friend Bob Marino from Valley Green Bank!” Just fucking awful. “Stay tuned for for updates from Valley Green Bank wuth my childhood friend Bob Marino!” Who write this crap? Enough with that shit… “Yo Cuz!” Yo Bro!”… Who gives a fuck if he’s your childhood friend, Gargano? Shut your fat slobbering, lispy hoagie mouth you fat fucking phoney stereotypical eye-talian from “Sout Fi-wee”. You give all Philadelphians, folks of Italian descent, and everyone from South Philly a bad name. And those over-the-top show intros… “Goooooood Aaaaaafternooooon Ev-er-reeeee-bod-eeeeee!.” Just awful…

35. Those Gargano intros are a blatant and lackluster of Chris Russo’s intro… Which Gargano listened to all the time when in NYC. If you don’t know who Russo is he’s a sports radio legend and now does a national afternoon on Sirius. Btw, all you O&A fans are lame, those guys are so jealous and in love with Howard Stern it’s ridiculous…, Stern is the Ali, Babe Ruth, Jordan of radio. G.O.A.T.

36. Well after all those years of getting screwed by the Phillies in trades, I think we finally got even. Ennis was a total idiot and probably got his job in Houston thanks to his father.
    He had no business on a major radio show. One of his favorite topics is talking about his junk and banal issues like cartoon shows and he loved to talk about his importance.
    I bet he lasts two weeks before he has a major breakdown. Philly fans will have him in a mental hospital in no time. I wish I could listen to them kill him.
    I hope you like hearing about LSU, Les Miles, and Josh’s bathroom issues.
    Its riveting sports radio.
    He might have worked in Houston for a couple of years but we don’t want any credit for his lame act.
    Instead of being classy when he left Houston in an article in the Chronicle he threw Rich Lord under the bus.
    If it wasn’t for Lord I wouldn’t have even listened at all.
    You can have the obnoxious mental midget.
    There are no returns on this deal. No returns and all sales are final.

37. Current status of Philly Sports Radio

Missanelli: Stubborn, becomes unlistenable. Tried tuning in again his hard headed Foles take made me turn him off again.
    Bruno & Mayes: Best thing going
    Jon Marx is good but that fucking Brace makes me wanna puny him in his face
    WIP morning show? 5 minutes of quality per hour rest garbage. F the Wing Bowl
    Gargano & Ellis: Can’t stand the fucking Italian Cuz loveliest and Im half Italian. That said I like Ellis and will tune into these guys.
    Reese & Brakan: IDK I listen to Tony & Harry

38. Anthony & Angelo has to GO!

December 20, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Angelo Cataldi and Anthony both suck huge asses!

Anthony gives me a headache.
    Angelo is a poor man’s Rush Limbaugh

how can CBS.. have such amateurish hosts?

39. Anthony & Angelo has to GO!

December 20, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Ike Reese gives me a headache as well..

his voice is just not meant for radio..
    he needs to clear his throat more often!

it’s so damn irritating.

40. Anthony & Angelo has to GO!

December 20, 2013 at 5:22 pm

I like Hollis & Rob ..

Hollis is cool ..
    which is what you need on radio..

not loud, fake, obnoxious laughs every few seconds..

Is that all you go Anthony?
    God damn dude..

41. Anthony & Angelo has to GO!

December 20, 2013 at 5:23 pm

@ Kyle Scott

Thanks for posting this..
    i’ve been meaning to unleash on these amateurish hosts..

but they seem to do a great job of censoring ciriticsm.

42. Derrick Coleman = Coach Killer
    Anthony Gargano = Host Killer

• good one DocInDE :)

that’s so true..
      Anthony is as dry as a 60 year old vagina..
      he thinks by laughing, it will somehow win over his listeners/guests.

Radio Personalities are supposed to be entertaining.
      Which.. Anthony is NOT!

• oh yea..

and someone tell him..

STOP WITH YOUR FAKE “IM A GREAT DADDY” STORIES.

it makes me want to throw up..
      i tune into Sports shows to get away from life..

all i hear about is how great of a dad he is,
      or how much his wife loves him,
      or the wonderful plans he has to raise his sons.

STFU Gargano..
      talk about SPORTS, you fucking buffoon!

43. Macnow made Gargano (who recently proclaimed himself “the pontiff of Pattison avenue”) tolerable. He cannot carry the afternoon show on his own. 2 hours of “violations” and 3 hours of commercials do not make a show. Butt Plugs, Rollerblades, and pomeranians would make it a show.

44. what do all these have in common-big daddy, angelo, rhea, ike-axe you a question? reese, gargano, big daddys daughter, macnow, coatsie, the goose, tim-he scooooooores saunderes, lil ant, massimo, shawn and brace, mike-i am sienfield missinelli, and finally g-pumpkin head cobb-THEY ALL BLOW-i rather listen to mike francessa and his annoying accent-wtf are we left with maybe ray didinger all day-i am embarrased that all these smucks are half ass celebrities and are making more money than me-i think i’ll spend the 10 bucks for g-cobbs web site- wtf can this clown offer?

• very true..

ESPN has some good hosts…
      they’re young, fresh, and professional.

except for Phil from Mount Erie.
      He sucks!

WIP is stagnant..
      they need to catch up with the times..
      all their hosts are old farts..

tune into the ESPN up the dial..
      it’s a completely different world..

there are a few buffoons on there as well..
      but for the most part.. they’re all professional and very good..

i just wish they would start a local morning show..

Angelo & Anthony just ruins my day..

45. Honestly, they should have given Rob Ellis his own show in the 1-6 slot. Gargano seems like a nice guy but I just can’t listen to him.

46. About Josh Innes. Thank you Jesus he is no longer on KILT – the best sports talk station in Houston.

You folks in Philly will get to hear all about his daddy multiple times a day, his girlfriend, his lame voice impersonations, him calling his granny and putting her on the show, who he likes to masturbate to (he actually says this on the show). Sports really aren’t his thing. He thinks he is an entertainer and the talk show is getting in the way of that. He loves to come up with skits that may go on for days having nothing to do with the sports talk show you dialed up.

Other than Josh, Kilt in Houston has some good sports talk show hosts and I listen to all of them. Josh brought in a phrase at the beginning of his show “You Know How We Do It – One, Two, Three, You Found It. That gave me enough time to get up and change the station. I did try to keep up with what time they would be doing different interviews on the show so I could listen to them. Rich Lord was the one that mostly handling the interviews and he did a great job.

To the people in Philly, sorry for your bad luck here. But then again maybe he will change. Very unlikely though as he had a call-in vote last summer as to whether he should change and the vote came back YES – he should stop all of his antics. He changed for a few days and then right back to the same ol’ none sports talk show Josh.

47. Listening to this Innes guy tonight. I’m sorry, but I honestly feel he wont make it here in Philly.

48. To my brothers and sisters in the great city of Philly. Let me be the first to warn you, Josh Innes is literally the worst sports talk show host I have ever heard. He went over like a fart in church. Escort him to the door ASAP. We in Houston could tell this guy knew relatively nothing about sports. What’s worse, he didn’t take the time to try. He’s lazy and it will be evident early on. Good luck with this trash!

49. Wow. this is a fun group. Let me roll up my sleeves too. Cataldi doesn’t like sports that much at all. He gets bored easily. He watches zero NHL or NBA games during the course of a year. He loves the Yankees and likes the Eagles. He works on the talk show extremely hard and he is brutally honest about himself. That goes a long way with listeners. People enjoy hearing a sorry SOB who admits he is more screwed up than even they are. He brings in the dollars because he fawns over sponsors. He proves conclusively that sincerity trumps knowledge by a mile. Big Daddy Graham is a uniquely talented listener and talker. The rest of the shows are horrible. The only other professional on the air at WIP is Ricky Ricardo. Why would they bring this dope in from Texas when Ricardo is sitting right there?

50. And while I am at it…..97.5 is like Father Mike and a bunch of altar boys. I can’t even tell them apart. They all walk ahead of Mike carrying a cross and swinging incense for the holy man. Missanelli is a piece of work himself. He suffers from a major a Peter Pan complex and is narcissistic to the nth degree. Bruno is an inch away from losing his mind. Life confounds him.

51. As I was saying….Gargano is in over his head. He continually resorts to the “hi how ya doin” rap with the same small bunch of people he knows personally. Strangers never call him because he is too busy shooting the breeze with his personal friends about the holidays and each others families and he doesn’t take to strangers. Macnow is the classic case of the guy who tries too hard to be one of the boys. He pretends to really really like “guy things” like wing bowl and all that crap. People can tell though that he is smarter than the character he tries to play on the radio. He was always scared to death of being found out to be intelligent. He was obsessed with the “guy” routine. Thus the burgers, beer, babes. It was unseemly for a man of his stature.

52. hope Innes is gone soon, he has to beg or pay to get callers that don’t berate him, too much talking about how philly listeners hate him

53. Josh Innes sucks ass. He babbles unlistenable bullshit for 95% of his air time, 1/4 of which is about sports. I can’t stand another minute of him in Philly. Bring Eskin back WIP!

54. Dan the Transplant

July 6, 2014 at 3:22 am

Oh, and I forgot, we always have Jolly, if you can stand his voice and his inflated opinion of himself.

What passes for radio talent in this town or at least to radio management, truly amazes me.

55. At least innes isn’t black