Jon Marks Hung up on Bob Costas Today

Bob Costas threw out the first pitch in St. Louis the other night and, because it ended up here…

Voila_Capture 2014-08-21_03-56-07_PM

… he was given a second opportunity, with which he threw a strike. He’s been getting needled for it and, consequently, has a “50 Cent couldn’t have done it better” line he keeps ripping out and seems generally defensive about the whole thing, the way you might expect Bob Costas to be defensive about something that questions his manhood but is utterly unimportant.

Anyway, today he was on 97.5 with Jon Marks and Sean Brace, both of whom went after him pretty hard about the whole thing. He was a good sport about it for the first few questions – busting out the aforementioned 50 Cent line along with back-to-back Major League references – but then got weirdly serious when Brace joked that Costas was blaming it all on the catcher, A.J. Pierzynski, whose baseball career keeps getting in the way of his broadcasting career:

Costas: “No, no, no no– now this is how all this stuff works, a guy does a good natured thing… which everybody there enjoyed… and people try to make it into something it’s not.”

Brace: “You got a mulligan, Bob… you can’t get a mulligan on the first pitch, Bob!”

Costas: “If you want to go to the State Legislature and say that I can’t do that at a Phillies game, go right ahead. But keep this in mind, although people don’t keep anything in mind because they’ve all lost their mind…”

And then he said something undoubtedly profound.

Things progressed normally after that, with Costas being his usual smarmy self. But before they let him go, the first pitch was brought up again:

Brace: “I’m gonna get my rolodex of excuses out the next time I mess up, too. Alright?”

Costas: “I take a second chance one time in something that is not my primary profession. In the space of talking to you guys for 10 minutes, you’ve needed two second chances.”

Marks: “I’m guessin’ the difference is we don’t care and you do. See ya, Bob.”

Click.

Audio after the jump.

Courtesy of 975

1. Just the Worst Radio Show in Philly doing Worst Radio Show in Philly things

• Kyle's Keyboard Muscles

August 21, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Truth. +1

• Jesus christ. Hard to listen to and EMBARRASSING. especially when those idiots said the list of star female athletes is small. Holy fuck how do they have a show? Should be suspended at minimum for treating a broadcast legend like that.

• Josh Innes is the worst

August 21, 2014 at 5:39 pm

I guess you haven’t listened to the Josh Innes show on 94wip.

I’d rather listen to Marks & Brace before that fat blowhard,Howard Stern wannabe who talks everything but Philly sports.

In reference to the Bob Costas interview I agree they were a little out of line and Marks shouldn’t have resorted to hanging up on him,that was very immature and childish on his part.

• fat boy is pretty funny. he knows more about philly sports than those 2 creampies.

• I might be in the minority, but I think Josh Innes is okay. His schtick is a little tiring but I’d rather have him be a little different and probably a little too over the top than just have another Rob Ellis clone. Rob Ellis is a douchebag, he’s the most prototypical sports radio host ever, I can’t stand listening to him

• Josh is by far the worst thing on Philly Radio. When he does leading off you can hear the disdain in his voice. He needs to go immediately. The next worst is Phil from Mount Airy. Un-listenable

• Inness, even though he is not from Philly, knows more about Philly sports than those 2. And he knows far more about non-Philly sports than those 2. I think probably because he’s a fatass with little else to do and those 2 are out running around at bars and getting laid etc.

I like Inness. He reminds me of…me.

• Innes actually knows his shit.
          The 700 level fan who love cuz & Ellis I’m a 4 for 4 & family man shit hates him. Love when they get fired up when he bad mouths someone like chase utley

• Josh Innes, I know you read this blog and I am sure you are such a blow hard you read comments about yourself.

You are insufferable to listen to. It isn’t because of your abrasive “honest” shtick that you think you have going. It is because you are unoriginal and rarely have anything interesting or valuable to add to any conversation. If I wanted to hear someone complain for 2-3 hours, I would just listen to my wife.

You are not the first person who hides behind the transparent mantra that you are being honest and saying things that everyone else is thinking. You say things just to evoke emotion and a reaction while adding nothing to a real conversation. You bring down meaningful discussions/debate.

• Kyle's Wife Bangs Black Guys

August 24, 2014 at 9:32 pm

I like Innes. He makes innuendos about how the rest of the WIP roster is nothing but cartoon characters and schtick (DUH CUZ for instance) which is spot on.

• abu bakr al baghdadi

August 22, 2014 at 1:00 am

Costas kind of deserves the abuse for being dumb enough to get involved with these 2 hacks.

• Totally unlistenable. They score an interview with Costas and rip him for 5 minutes about his shitty first pitch. Give him some quick grief and move on. You should be thankful someone of his stature is calling in. Hell, Jose from Norristown has too much stature to call into that crapass show.

2. Oh God, how am I supposed to take these jokers seriously? They sound like complete idiots for 3 hours a day. I really wish our sports radio hosts could speak the English language without sounding like mongoloids.

3. Not at all a Bob Costas fan but honestly he doesnt know a Sean Brace from a knee brace. Those clowns should be thrilled he came on their show. When you are the low man on the pole like they are, you let the top guy treat you however he wants and ask for seconds.

4. Who listens 97.5 anyway? Its crappy.

5. Yo yo yo Bobby C, come on playa, you cants be throwsin a ball like dat yo, haahhahah, you donts be gettin no mulligan homey!!

-Sean Brace

6. The difference of the level of talent and respect between Sean + Jon and Bob Costas is like two dinner theater background actors to DiCaprio.

7. Marks and Brace suck

August 21, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Nothing shocking, just two douches who shouldn’t have a radio show hanging up on a guest that’s way out of their league.

8. Costas should not have had a mulligan for a first pitch however Brace & Marks could have been less of dicks to him.

9. The two fools just make me shake my head. They actually make me shake my god damn head. What a poor excuse for a radio show.

10. Hello?…………………Ah, Hello………Is anybody there?………..Fucking jerkoffs!

11. Allen Rothenberg THE Injury lawyer

August 21, 2014 at 4:50 pm

A douche is a douche…Costa’s had a chip on his shoulder about the candy throw…and seanjohn and Marks sounded like two jerkoffs in a bar trying to outdo each other as to who was “funnier”..in the end..Marks couldn’t handle Costa’s smarmy douchey comebacks…they all sucked

12. I wish they gave bob the background of brace before he even got on the phone… “Hey bob we know it is Philadelphia so you would assume these are legit radio guys but just want to give you a heads up that one of the interviewers is a 35 year old bald, uneducated, wanna be ghetto ass clown who still lives in a section of Philadelphia with a roommate where everyone who hangs out there still is in college.”

Do you think he would of still even got on the phone? Costas is a tool but he is definitely above getting ridiculed by dooshbag brace and marx.

The only one dumber on the station than brace is martinez… I feel bad for his kids…

• AGREED.

• Very true, Costas is a legend in broadcasting, Brace is a barback

• Kyle's Wife Bangs Black Guys

August 24, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Which is exactly why Philadelphia has the reputation it does in the national media.

This is one of the largest media markets in the country, and yes the world. Instead of having real talent on the radio, we are given HACKS like Brace, or ASS CLOWNS like Angel Cataldi, who is only here because he couldn’t get a job in his native NY. Same goes for Morganti. These guys come here, have horrible relations with the national people, do MORONIC stunts like the “Dirty 30″ and fully intend to cash out and go back to their native areas when they are done raping the name of Philadelphia for profit. And we let it happen, and continue to happen, by supporting these carpetbaggers. We deserve it because at least some segment of the population actually listens.

13. So they get one of the biggest names in sports journalism to go on the air with 97.5, and they spent half their time basically antagonizing him?

Not a good idea.

I’m guessing he won’t be back on their station any time soon.

14. Worst part is you know marx did that just so mikey fuckface would be proud of him… Following in lonely dad’s fucking footsteps of being a condescending dick.

• …and you know Brace only pulled that shtick about St. Louis “baseball heaven” as homage to ego-king Mike Miss.

• Haha. Mikey Miss must have demolished you on the radio. Asswart.

• Kyle's Wife Bangs Black Guys

August 24, 2014 at 9:49 pm

WOW, he was “demolished” by a guy who wasted a law degree only to become a frequently unemployed radio hack hung up on him. How ever will he continue in life???

15. Hoagiefest is Back

August 21, 2014 at 5:15 pm

what a couple of shit stains

16. Keepin' it Real

August 21, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Those two ass clowns should be honored that a legend like Costas would even waste a second of his time of their lousy show. It’s crap like this that makes me miss Tony Bruno’s show even more…

• Josh Innes is the worst

August 21, 2014 at 5:45 pm

I read somewhere that Tony Bruno might end up in Cleveland.

If that’s true then Bruno won’t last too long considering the fact that he’s such a Lebron hater/nba hater,that bald-headed fool will say something so stupid,the bigwigs will fire his ass ASAP.

17. Steve Jeltz's Cock

August 21, 2014 at 5:40 pm

I just gained a lot of respect for marks & brace. That’s actually pretty fucking funny they told costas to fuck off

18. Jon and Sean aren’t nearly as bad as Mayes and Kayal. They’re all bad but at least Jon and Sean don’t plug their fucking twitter accounts every 2 minutes or demonstrate lack of knowledge towards anything outside of football. The one thing that drives me crazy about Kayal is that he has to bang the nfl drum every second. For example when Harry was talking about how the nfl will have problems with fans watching with all these flags. Kayal basically drools over the sport like he has a shot to go anywhere in the business saying that the nfl is king and can’t do anything wrong. I for one won’t be watching a game that has 20+ flags thrown every week

19. Saw a new report on CBS sports that potentially Sixers do trade Thad and pick up a 1st rounder, Mbah a Moute and Alexey Shved. Pretty sure Shved can’t shoot but fills up the stat line otherwise in steals, assists, etc. So he’ll fit right in.

• CLAP YA HANDS EVERYBODY 4 TANKADELPHIA 76ERS

August 21, 2014 at 6:02 pm

@Juanita Ray

And since sf Luc Richard Mbah a Moute like Joel Embiid is a Cameroon native,he’ll naturally be tasked with being Embiid’s mentor,and to show him how to carry himself professionally.

I’m still holding out hope that Embiid will suit up this year.

20. Marlo Stanfield

August 21, 2014 at 5:45 pm

I loved 97.5 when it was bruno and mayes, the only show I liked. I liked missaneli years ago when he didn’t have the biggest ego on the entire planet, but now is just too much up his own ass. I never hated jon or sean as producers, I guess because they didn’t get the air time to let their true colors show. But I have barely listened to the station at all since tony left, and never listen to jon and sean. They are the definition of two tools who try so hard to be cool and funny. Two weasely pricks who have inflated egos because their dumb uneducated asses have a medium to spew their often completely misguided and inaccurate opinions. most of the time on polarizing issues one takes the politically correct argument, and the other gives a watered down counter argument but it couldn’t sound more fake. Hopefully these two pompous pretentious douchebags just demolished their careers so brace can tend a bar and marks can do whatever the hell he can do well if anything.

• Yea. They straight up had him on to antagonize him and provoke him. Bringing up the pitch once or twice maybe and poke fun at him a little, but jesus they brought it up over and over for minutes and minutes. It was so fucking awkward, I don’t care if its bob costas or not, how do you have someone on your show only to fucking make fun of him over and over. Then he seems to joke around back and make fun of you and you hang up? I think there might be some implications from this. You bring my sister that hundred large yet marlo mother fucka?

• Proposition. Mayes and bruno move to wip, and they take back the radio play in Philadelphia. Missaneli talks like his shit doesn’t stink and cuts off callers or laughs over them like the argument they just made I’d the most ridiculous thing he ever heard when he really knows he is wrong.WIP should try and capitalize on this and bruno leaving.

21. Just curious does anyone in philly like any sports talk hosts? Bunch of negative pricks

22. Really hope these a-holes get demoted or fired for this, but unfortunately the people running 97.5 are stupider than these nitwits.

23. Catch a damned pass

August 21, 2014 at 7:22 pm

I thought Marks left the station?

24. Off topic from this post – but just reading the comments….and I never post…BUT….

I absolutely agree that Josh innes is the worst host to hit Philly sports radio waves EVER!!

He has ability in radio, but his talents are better suited for a pop culture/ TMZ format. I could hate on the guy, but that’s counter productive..

I’m MAKING A PLEA to 94wip – I’ve been a 20+ year loyal listener…PLEASE replace Josh innes!!!

Glen macnow, Garry Cobb, Mark farzetta….hell I would take Howard eskin back over Josh…

Spike eskin or andy..PLEASE make a move soon..Philly fans deserve MUCH better!

• Props to Spike for landing the PD gig but he has no say in any line up changes. It is all Andy Bloom.

• Anti 4 for 4 guy

August 21, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Love josh

• I know it is you josh, making multiple accounts.

The same guy who came out said he like Kyle Scott and admitted he reads and gets info off this site. Anyone who sources THIS website, shouldn’t be talking about sports in Philly

• Fat fuck josh is pretty funny. He had me loling few times

• Who’s Josh Ennis?

• Kyle's Wife Bangs Black Guys

August 24, 2014 at 10:00 pm

I like Innes. The last thing I want to hear is another jerk-off who does no show prep, and wings it by bringing up mob movies from the fucking 1990’s, or their favorite burger joint EVERY FUCKING DAY.

Innes trolls on the brain-dead slobs that the other 95% of sports talk show hosts in this town pander to. That makes me laugh because they do not even realize they are being trolled, and apparently neither do you.

25. This site is a joke, Kyle pretty much only gets viewers because everyone knows it’s better to view and post comments rather than read his shit.

Where the fuck has Jim been Kyle you fuck, he was gay but still better than you

26. whats up with these retards gasping for air after every sentence? they are on the wrong side of the glass. they are not ready.

27. I would bet with one phone call, a pissed off Bob Costas could have these clowns sent back to Pitchers Pub. They have balls though.

28. I think its more along the lines of no brains. Once or twice with the breaking balls about his pitch…but my god you gotta keep going back to it…? I’m sure there’s something you could ask costas about ..but again look who’s doing the questions..

29. Their mentor, Miss Mikey still has to teach them how to beat up their producer.

30. Fuck Brace, fuck Marks, and especially fuck Costas. If he’s such a legend, why is he wasting time calling into their shit show? (And it’s a shit show) Because he’s such an insecure person about not having any athletic ability, whereas if he just embraced being a dork, he wouldn’t have come off like a whiny tight ass. So in conclusion, fuck Brace, fuck Marks, and fuck Costas (and his political views that he loves to try to mix with my sports.)

• Doc bresslers anal cavity fillers

August 21, 2014 at 11:40 pm

+10000

What this boils down to is two ass Clowns who suck at doing radio berating some dork who can’t throw a baseball that dork getting upset and whining like a little bitch. While dickface costas deserves broadcasting props, he was almost certainly a nerd growing up and is insecure. Holy shit did he have an excuse for everything? Great missinelli point, he would have acted EXACTLY the same way if he was being chastised for something

• I feel like Costas is a mix of a Chris Wheeler fucking know it all, with a Jamie Moyer sense of humor, a Stephen Hawking athletic ability and a touch of Ted Nugent/(insert annoying liberal musician or celebrity) sense to piss me off with their political views when I don’t want to hear political views piece of shit. Whew, I feel better.

31. I think the most annoying thing about 97.5 is the commercials. Feel like I’m going to lose it Everytime I hear that time after time, annoying Delian den commerical. Joe Cordell,esq etc

32. What is wrong with you?

August 21, 2014 at 11:45 pm

I love you assholes that do nothing but bitch and moan about these two radio hosts. If you hate them so much, why do you listen all the time?

• Because your mother is a cunt and she let me lick the pudding from her asshole for $3.50

• I didn’t need to listen, it’s on the website, you know, the one were on now? I wouldn’t be caught dead listening them. I tuned into them one time after Bruno and Mayes, and wanted to put a ghost pepper up my dick hole after 15 minutes. To quote Lewis Black, if I’m gonna be in that much pain, I’m gonna do it to myself.

33. Yo – me and Johnny learned dat from Mikey Miss. The key to an interview is to all you can to make da interview about you. The most important thing is to keep people talking about you, not to get info. It is all about feeding the ego.

Captain Mike Miss is the man. You haters hate us because we art the JV team of Philly sports radio and we think we are varsity. We pretend we are the best. We learned it from Mike. Mike is like our senior who is just on the team because the varsity hates him and he isn’t good enough. He is our captain. A senior who is captain of the JV can teach you people about things.

I ramble a lot and make no sense.

34. Columbia Broadcasting rejects

August 22, 2014 at 4:22 am

Bob has probably earned $75-$100 million over his career. Marks and Brace will lucky to earn over their lifetime what Bob earns in a couple of years. My figures are probably low what Bob earns. NBC uses him to host the Olympics in addition hosting NFL Sunday Night. He also works on the MLB Network, does radio shows and had a late night TV show on NBC years ago. Warren Sapp said he earned $500,000 just to be on the NFL pre-game show on the NFL Network. So these two clowns who would be lucky have 75K listeners think they are superior to someone who will host the Super Bowl this year with 100 million watching.

35. I think it’s safe to say marks won the whine of the week

36. Joe Cordell Esq.

August 22, 2014 at 8:58 am

Costas was definitely picked last in every sport while growing up …and he’s still insecure about it. Even to the point where he has to mention he’s “buddies” with Pyrzinski. Probably felt like he was back on the schoolyard with two rockheads picking on him. ..you can trust me on this…I’m a lawyer…..although not licensed in your state

37. Just a Heads Up

August 22, 2014 at 9:57 am

I think Jon Marks is a hot-head and totally full of himself like he’s the second-coming of Mike Miss but at the same time Costas thinks he’s God of the sports broadcasting world and could totally see him being a prick.

38. Some hosts on WIP annoy me, but almost every host at 97.5 is annoying. I can’t take more then 5 minutes of people like Brace, Marks, or Phil from Mt. Airy. These people are no more qualified then every of us here about sports. Missanelli was atleast a reporter for the Inquirer in his day, but he has turned into the biggest pompous ass after he beat Eskin in the ratings on drive home timeslot.

I enjoy Gargano & Rob Ellis on WIP, cause they are funny to listen to and both know their sports very well. The only other time I tune into talk radio is on Saturday with Ray Didinger and Glen Macnow as that’s probably the most informative show on talk radio when it comes to sports. And Angelo Cataldi is another douce who for some reason so many people buy into his act. I will never get how he is so popular?

39. Better than 50 Scent but not nearly as good as the no-armed guy and the blind kid.

40. They are the worst radio team I’ve heard in my entire life. They won’t be around much longer. They completely bring down the station.