The Eagles Just Signed a Six-Foot-Nine Army Ranger Named Alejandro

Voila_Capture 2014-05-05_11-00-01_AM

HOORAH!*

Former Eagles cheerleader in the Army. Former Army Ranger on the Eagles.

From the Eagles:

The Philadelphia Eagles have signed defensive lineman Alejandro Villanueva to a rookie free agent contract. The 6-foot-9, 277-pound Villanueva spent the last four years as an active member of the U.S. Army, serving a total of three tours in Afghanistan. He was most recently promoted to Captain earlier this month. Villanueva has earned many honors for his service, including the Bronze Star Medal for Valor, the Ranger Tab, the Parachutist Badge, the Bronze Star Medal for overseas service, National Defense Service Medal, Afghanistan Campaign Medal with Campaign Star, Global War on Terrorism Service Ribbon, Army Service Ribbon, Overseas Service Ribbon, NATO Medal, Combat Infantryman’s Badge and Expert Infantryman’s Badge.

Upon completion, he reported to Fort Drum, N.Y., where he served in the 10th Mountain Division. While serving with the 10th Mountain Division, Villanueva deployed to Afghanistan for 12 months as a Rifle Platoon Leader. During his deployment, he earned a Bronze Star Medal for Valor for moving forward under enemy fire to pull his wounded Soldiers from their isolated position. When Villanueva returned from his first deployment to Afghanistan, he was assigned as a Rifle Company Executive Officer.

I want a Global War on Terrorism Service Ribbon. Can I get one of those behind my computer? No? OK. Just checking.

I have no idea if Alejandro is any good at football, but he’s 6-9, his name is Alejandro, he’s yet another ex-military guy employed by Chip Kelly [last July told you about Shaun Huls, the Eagles’ sports science coordinator who was formerly the U.S. Naval Special Warfare Group 2’s performance coach] and he’s obviously a physical specimen. Now, will this be another Andy-Reid-I-can-make-a-firefighter-play-football signing, or will it turn out to be a great move? No idea. But I can get behind an Army Ranger named Alejandro.** Now we just need the guy who shot bin Laden and the Birds will be ready to soar. USA! USA! USA!

There are lengthier articles on NFL.com and SI.com about Alejandro.

*I have no idea. Is that what you’re supposed to do for military posts? Is that even an Army thing? It felt right. I like it when things feel right.

**Literally. Please protect me, Ally.

• UncleLeo May 5, 2014 at 11:09 am

Does every post need an oddly placed * and ** and sometimes ***??? I’m an old man, I get confused!

• derek May 5, 2014 at 11:12 am

its Hooah, no Hoorah…thats marines. don’t insult Rangers like that.

• A Marine May 5, 2014 at 11:48 am

oorah for Marines, don’t insult Marines like that

• GayJeffySuxCox May 5, 2014 at 11:12 am

Just like the fucking fireman (Wadkins) they signed a few years that can’t play. Fuck off Howie

• that guy May 5, 2014 at 11:18 am

Difference is, its an undrafted rookie free agent contract and not a first round draft pick and $7.9 million for 4 years.

Roseman is still a terrible son of abraham who should go fuck himself, but this is a much better acquisition in terms of money and cap $ for an untested player.

• cluelessSuxCox May 5, 2014 at 11:18 am

yeah because signing a rookie undrafted free agent is the same as using a 1st round pick. Richard Sherman was drafted 131 spots behind Danny Watkins.

• poop May 5, 2014 at 11:13 am

Hoorah is marines, kyle

• JZane May 5, 2014 at 11:13 am

As far as Im concerned, I am a fan of anyone involved with the 10th Mtn Div. Every year I spend a few weeks splitboarding in the mountains of Colorado (Summit and Eagle counties). The 10th Mtn Div originally trained there during WWII and have huge respect from the locals there even though they Division was moved to Ft Drum some years back.

I dont think mountaineering skills translate well to football, but I will certainly have my eye on this guy and rooting for him all the way.

• FREE KWAME!!! May 5, 2014 at 11:16 am

Nice area out there. Heard rumors of a return to that area, since there are no Mountains in Drum’s training area. At all.

• JZane May 5, 2014 at 12:25 pm

its my understanding they only use the “mountain: tag to tie the Division to the WWI efforts and they are more full-combat now, not necessarily specializing in anything alpine.

the area is unbelievable. I had been going out there snowboarding for years and I was getting tired of the resorts, but once I got into splitboarding and climbing, it unlocked a whole new world and I fell in love again…..

Frontier has flights for $175 direct from Wilmington, DE to Denver. For an east coast guy, its the best deal in the country to get to real mountains.

• FREE KWAME!!! May 5, 2014 at 11:14 am

Was in 10th Mountain at the same
    Time as him. For reference:

GWOTSM is given to anyone who has been in Iraq or Afghanistan (including women and cooks).

His EIB, CIB, and BSM /w V is impressive.

Just for reference.

• CJ May 5, 2014 at 11:15 am

“Oo-rah” is for the Marines. “Hooah” is for the Army. And go ahead and be envious of my Global War on Terrorism Service Ribbon. It’s quite colorful.

• FREE KWAME!!! May 5, 2014 at 11:16 am

You are clearly a POG.

• CJ May 5, 2014 at 11:49 am

What I mean is that the medal is pointless and anyone who deploys gets one, so it’s not really much to envy unless you just want something colorful.

• A Marine May 5, 2014 at 11:55 am

you don’t even have to deploy to get a GWOT – you just need to train in any anti-terrorism training for 30 consecutive/60 non consecutive trainings days, i.e. any field op, and have your admin section run the paperwork. All the boots in my unit run around with there shiny new ribbons as soon as they can because they don’t want their ketchup stains to be lonely.

• A Marine May 5, 2014 at 11:51 am

POG life is where its at, Grunts are just envious of all the down time POGs have.

• FREE KWAME!!! May 5, 2014 at 12:25 pm

I’m disappointed to hear that… Especially from a marine.

• Sexual assaultman May 5, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Ahh yes the POG life. Leatherneck. Wear gear on table 2. and war stories from bootcamp. Nams for replacing the coffee pot. Excuses for the importance of their job. Go back to Toby’s boot.

• President Bartlet May 5, 2014 at 11:54 am

Claudia Jean?

• Common Sense May 5, 2014 at 11:16 am

Kind of a huge difference between this guy and Watkins, considering one was a first round pick and not a low/zero risk FA with good publicity attached….

• Leatherneck May 5, 2014 at 11:19 am

This will be the first time a west point player will get a chance to win a game in Philly in 11 years

• JB Smoove May 5, 2014 at 11:25 am

I like it. Seems like a character guy signing. Better than another thuggle.

• Eat a dick Kyle May 5, 2014 at 11:26 am

You suck Kyle. Copy and paste specialist, whom attempts to be clever with his words and completely makes a fool of himself.

• Gomer Pyle May 5, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Kyle made a fool of himself, surpriiiiise surprise surprise!

• Walter Sobchak May 5, 2014 at 11:29 am

High character, practice squad, body. Nothing more.

• Mellonhead May 5, 2014 at 11:30 am

Kyle should Post some ass pics from the broad street run yesterday

• dan griffoni May 5, 2014 at 11:47 am

Girl, Kyle should post some pics of Alejandro, if you know what i mean….. !!!!!!!!

• Catch a damned pass May 5, 2014 at 12:26 pm

oorah, hooah, more like whogivesafuckah am i right guys

• T-Shirt Fan May 5, 2014 at 1:06 pm

When can we expect an Alejandro t-shirt?

• Penguin Shirt Fanatic! May 5, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Based on the timing of the Sidney Crosby shirt, I would say 3 days after the Eagles lose in the playoffs.

• Budweiser May 5, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Playoffs? Lol @ this year’s team making the playoffs.

• Forest gump May 5, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Marine or ranger. Either way he’s a baby killer

• Dick Cheney May 5, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Nah, just a chump doing the grunt work of big corps too big to fail or prosecute.

• eskin swallows cataldi's spunk May 6, 2014 at 12:18 am

that’s should wrap up our super bowl. plan the parade boys