Why Being 5-3 Matters

Kyle - November 9, 2010

Vick_AP

Vick and the Eagles starting their run toward the playoffs (Source: Getty Images)

I may be getting ahead of myself talking playoffs (Playoffs? Playoffs? Yes, playoffs), but since the NFL-AFL merger in 1970, the Eagles have been 5-3 or better after eight games a total of 15 times prior to this season – 1979, 1980, 1981, 1989, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2008, and 2009. And in those 15 seasons, they qualified for the playoffs 14 times. The lone exception?: 1994 when they started 7-2 under Rich Kotite and then lost out.

At this point, I'd only rank the Packers and Giants ahead of the Eagles in the NFC. It's been a weird season and the Eagles are right in the mix.  Looking at their second half schedule, and considering how Andy Reid teams usually close strong (and that teams like the Cowboys and Vikings are struggling), things are setting up nicely for the Birds.

I didn't think a deep playoff run was possible this year, especially after how things went in the season opener, with Kolb not playing well and then Leonard Weaver and Jamaal Jackson suffering season-ending injuries. But if they can take care of business against very beatable teams like Washington and Chicago in the upcoming weeks, they are on track to finish with at least 10 or 11 wins. And then… who knows.

• Spike November 9, 2010 at 1:27 pm

You wouldn’t rank the Saints ahead of the Eagles?

• John E. November 9, 2010 at 2:05 pm

If Saints played Eagles in a big game, I’d expect the Saints to win. The Eagles haven’t really matched up well with them since Payton has been there. But if this was like college football rankings with no playoffs and just going by how they played so far this season, I’d put them about equal. Saints only good win vs a better than avg team was against the Steelers a few weeks ago.
    Saints have pretty favorable schedule from now until later in December, so they should be a playoff team. Assuming Tampa comes back to where they were expected to be, they could end up only playing 4 games all season against teams who are 8-8 or better (Atlanta 2x, Pitt, and Balt).

• Adam November 9, 2010 at 7:36 pm

I really am glad that the eagles are doing well, i am a die hard bleed green fan. But at the same time, i have that little voice in the back of my head, that all Eagles fans have. Its telling me that our defense has had one stellar game. That we lost to a Washington team that is garbage. And what the voice yells the loudest is something to the effect of “5-3 is great, 13-3 is great, but will we win the superbowl” and unless something ridiculous happens similar to the flyers recent cup run(all the stars lining up) i dont see us reaching the NFC championship game. But that wont stop me from hoping and cheering my eyes out every gameday.

• Supra Shoes November 10, 2010 at 2:16 am

You’re fantastic.Continue to work hard. I really like this comment,

• Air Jordans November 11, 2010 at 3:00 am

Life is a struggle, accept it.

• coach outlet stores November 15, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Good at planning, good at time management.*

weight loss Programs