Holy Shit The Pirates are Trying to Win Something

Hunter_pence_phillies
Photo source: Zimbio

Step aside, baseball's best team. Pennsylvania has a new contender, and its fans are ugly.

Playing in a crappy division brings with it many delusions. The Pittsburgh Pirates, just five games over .500 and 1/2 a game out of first, look to be buyers at this year's trade deadline. According to thePittsburgh Tribune Review – via Hardball Talk – the Buccos are interested in none other than Hunter Pence.

The feeling may be mutual: [Pittsburgh Tribune Review]

That notion was endorsed yesterday by Houston Astros right fielder Hunter Pence, whom the Pirates have scouted with the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline in mind.

"Everyone's been talking about (the Pirates)," Pence said yesterday morning before the Pirates beat the Astros, 7-5, in 11 innings at Minute Maid Park. "They're right up there in the standings and they've been there for 90 games. They have the pitching, and that's key.

"Who knows? We play the season hoping to see Cinderella stories. It's fun to watch. Whatever moves are made, we'll see what happens. But they've already got a great team and they're competing."

Jokes aside, the Pirates have played the Phillies tough over the last couple of years and are a potential first round matchup (if the season were to end today, the Phillies would play the NL Central winner).

Craig Calcaterra at Hardball Talk points out that Ed Wade is essentially a lame-duck GM right now and may not be so moved to make a rebuilding type deal. Of course, knowing that Wade probably won't be in Houston much longer, we can always wish for him to give Ruben Amaro his friends and family discount, something I'm not convinced he hasn't been doing all along. Brad Lidge. Roy Oswalt.

With news that Michael Cuddyer may not be on the trading block, Pence may be the only right-handed bat out there who could make a significant impact on the Phillies' lineup. Is anyone feverishly beating that drum yet? If not, I'll start to.

Pence is a good fielder, has two years of arbitration left, and he's gangly and awkward. We like that. Beat. Beat.

• J.T. July 18, 2011 at 10:47 am

If the Pirates get Pence (I know you guys are gonna laugh at this, but whatever), they instantly become the team I fear most in the NL. They have played us tough, especially in Pittsburgh. The sports gods, for some reason, like to allow Pittsburgh to shit all over us in recent playoffs. And Hunter Pence kills the Phillies.
    RAJ better get Pence simply to keep him away from the Buccos.

• K July 18, 2011 at 11:39 am

they’d certainly be better than any other possible first round match up if they get pence.

• ThePhillyFlash July 18, 2011 at 11:45 am

Oh, please. The idea of having to fear the Pirates is absolutely abhorrent to me. I don’t give a damn if they trade for Albert Pujols, CC Sabathia and Brian Wilson, they’re still bottom feeding Pittsburgh which hasn’t finished a season with a winning record since 1992, and the only reason they’re currently over .500 right now is because NL Central’s become remarkably mediocre.
    Meanwhile, would I like to see Hunter Pence in Phillies’ pinstripes? Damn right I would, but not at the expense of raiding a cupboard that’s not exactly stocked to the gills after all the other deals Ruben’s pulled off, nor am I going wet my pants if he winds up in Pittsburgh. Hell, there’s no gaurantee the Yuccs will even make the playoffs, so relax, there’s nothing to worry about.

• Robbie E July 18, 2011 at 11:57 am

I read a post this weekend on Yahoo sports that said the Phillies were interested in moving Cole Hamels at the trade deadline to the Pirates for Joel Hanrahan and prospects. Think that has any legs?

• J.T. July 18, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Robbie, I also read that the Red Sox offered the Yankees $200,000 to get Babe Ruth back. Think that has legs?

• Courtney July 18, 2011 at 12:19 pm

@robbie e. hell no. granted his last outting wasn’t very impressive but other than that this is the best we’ve ever seen cole. RAJ would be smoking crack if he got rid of hamels. thinking about it makes me sick to my stomach.

• The Face featuring Johnny # 5 July 18, 2011 at 1:05 pm

The Brewers will win the central. Even if Pence goes to the Pirates, expecting Karstens, Correia, Mcdonald and Molholm to keep up their first half success is crazy talk. Their pitchers played way over their heads in that first half.

• The Face featuring Johnny # 5 July 18, 2011 at 1:06 pm

@ Robbie E- Whover wrote that story was high as a kite. That’s just stupid.

• Robbie E July 18, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Hey J.T. I just said I read it. I didn’t say I wrote it or agree with it!
    Pence with Pittsburgh? Nah.

• ThePhillyFlash July 18, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Hell, the whole team is playing over their heads! Eevn worse, they’re mostly kids, untested in the microwave that’s a pennant race, once they start realizing what the stakes are, their collective youth will wreck them. I also see Milwaukee winning the Central, St. Louis doesn’t have enough pitching and the Reds are too erratic for my taste.

• Reuben Cohen July 18, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Pence is the best right-handed bat potentially available. If we don’t get him, I don’t see anybody else worth trading for during the season. There are other right-handed outfields who will be free agents this season, especially Cuddyer, Josh Willingham, Cody Ross and, in my dream world, David DeJesus.
    Getting Pence or Heath Bell at the deadline would be killer.