Morning Wood: Babe Ruth Started Out as a Pitcher Edition

Cliff_lee_babe_ruth
Your chin, Cliff, it’s so ironic

Nice showing from the boys last night: Doc was his usual self (perfect). And our magical steed, Clifton, trotted out to the mound with a sparkling brand new pair of blue-trimmed horseshoes. Nayyyy. Other than one pitch grooved down the middle of the plate to Adrian Gonzalez, he pitched well. He also voiced over a montage about his hitting, saying “Babe Ruth started out as a pitcher.” Swoon.

There were the usual antics of Brian Wilson, who, despite feeling forced to hate him for what he did to us last year, I have trouble disliking. It’s not the beard, it’s the goofy sense of humor. He may legitimately be out of his mind, but he’s a damn good pitcher.

Heath Bell got in on the act, too. But the highlight, for me, was Justin Timberlake patronizing the bejesus out of Joe Buck, another guy you dislike a lot more than I do. Me thinks there was something deeper here. That, at some point in the past, Buck criticized JT or was unable to secure him for his short-lived show. Otherwise, Timberlake, who appeared to be drunk, probably wouldn’t have senselessly embarrassed the guy on national TV.

Oh yeah, great moment when the tech guy tells the MLB Fan Cave dude to get the hell out of the way.

H/T to (@1stn4mostMom)

• Deezy July 13, 2011 at 9:03 am

Oh man, I need to find video of this Timberlake/Buck thing, I missed it and it sounds excellent.

• J.T. July 13, 2011 at 9:05 am

You know, I always hated Justin Timberlake. I was in 7th grade when Nsync/BSB blew up, so of course that’s what I had to hear all the damn time (RIP, original TRL), so I naturally hated the pretty boys who made up these groups, none more so than Justin.
    But damn it he is making it so hard to hate him anymore. Funny roles, a couple of somewhat listenable songs, and now emasculating Joe Buck. WHY WON’T YOU LET ME HATE YOU?!

• I Told You So July 13, 2011 at 9:52 am

As soon as Joe goddamn Buck said “Cliff Lee never makes the mistake with a ball in the middle of the plate” I knew that homerun was coming.

• Patrick July 13, 2011 at 10:03 am

Justin had me on the floor laughing my ass off. Was the highlight of my night

• Mary Pat July 13, 2011 at 10:05 am

Me too, I Told You So! I thought, “we’re screwed”! Well, not too much shame in giving it up to the guy who almost won the Home Run Derby the night before. Important thing is World Series starts in Philly!! Woohoo!

• I Told You So July 13, 2011 at 10:09 am

@ Mary Pat, I still love him and would rather have him on my team any day of the week then the freak. Between the constant calling of Halladay being a robot or cyberg and jinxing Lee it took me right outta the game. Bring on the world series!

• Matt from Morton July 13, 2011 at 10:57 am

Anybody have the video of Clifton talking about his hitting? Though not as awesome as JT ripping Joe Buck apart on National TV while buzzed, it would be pretty awesome nevertheless. And, Kyle might just blow his load watching it.

• Deezy July 13, 2011 at 11:49 am

PSA…Deadspin has the Justin Timberlake video if anyone is looking for it.

• Bleue July 13, 2011 at 1:34 pm

JT’s comments were terrific, the sarcasm just enough to let it serve it’s purpose. Those two announcers bring down the telecasts, and I didn’t think it was possible to have a worse broadcast then the HR derby which looked more like a freaking baseball circus than an actual derby, but leave it to Faux.

• James T. Grey IV July 13, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Buck sounded so defeated when the NL took the lead. God for-fucking-bid someone take home field advantage away from his precious Yankees.

• Iron Balls McGinty July 13, 2011 at 4:09 pm

“But the highlight, for me, was Justin Timberlake patronizing the bejesus out of Joe Buck…”
    Janet Jackson and Nipplegate. That’s why.

• Sean July 13, 2011 at 7:23 pm

‎”Beer never got mad at me because I never called the beer back.”