Picture via Phillies beat reporter Mandy Housenick
Welcome, the 2012 baseball season is upon us. Our first bit of news – the only one, really – to get to: the Phillies signed Kyle Kendrick to a two-year, $7.5 million deal. via the release:
Right-hander Kyle Kendrick has agreed to a two-year, $7.5 million contract with the Phillies, covering the 2012 and 2013 seasons, Assistant General Manager Scott Proefrock announced today. The contract includes performance and awards bonuses.
Last month, the Phillies and Kendrick had avoided the salary-arbitration process by agreeing to a one-year contract for the 2012 season.
This deal will negate the need for salary arbitration before next season. Cool… I guess?
Position players showing up early include: Chase Utley, Hunter Pence, John Mayberry Jr., Ty Wigginton, Dom Brown, Jim Thome, Juan Pierre, Tyson Gillies, Kevin Fransden and Pete Orr. There was also a report of Shane Victorino’s name being on the list for taking BP. Victo told me on Twitter that he's heading down later this week.
Splinters and semis:
– Wilmington News Journal reporter David Hale always provides an interesting, easy-to-read notes section with bits of tid that you won’t find elsewhere. Like this one:
Vance Worley’s hair is already in mid-season form. The best word I can use to describe it: Majestic.
Worley looks like he’s in better shape this spring. I asked him if he’d slimmed down a bit, and he said he’d lost “a few pounds” but that it’s “mostly the hair” providing an optical illusion.
– Matt Gelb on why Joe Blanton won’t be traded… at least not now. Hint: the Phillies would probably have to eat most of his $8.5 million salary.
– Anthony SanFilippo writes about the Springfield (Delco) native who once beaned me in the leg in third grade, Taylor Bucholtz. He's a former Rockies and Mets pitcher taking a year off from baseball because of depression.
– Jonathan Papelbon via CSN Philly: “I like pressure,” Papelbon said. “That’s what makes me tick, man. I’m excited. Pitching in this environment is an environment that I enjoy.” That quote and video here.
– Here’s the trailer for Shane Victorino’s appearance on Hawaii Five-O tomorrow night at 10 p.m. on CBS.
– Our friends at Philly Phaithful launched their Clearwater Dreamin' t-shirt today (tank top for women, too!). Get one here.
– Programming note: I'll be guest co-hosting on WIP tonight at 10 p.m. with Eytan Shander. CB goes mainstream! Or something like that. Scratch that– Eytan is sick. Rescheduled.
For those of you looking to get your baseball fix on Twitter– the Phillies scriptuals covering spring training: (@DavidHaleTNJ), (@JimSalisburyCSN), (@magelb), (@ryanlawrence21), (@inthephilshouse), (@highcheese), and, of course, (@toddzolecki).