Phillies First Baseman Jim Thome Hasn’t Traveled With a Glove in Five Years

Video via David Hale of the Wilmington News Journal

I don’t know why, but I’m getting more ansty about the 2012 season each day.

Chase Utley’s knee may have fallen off. Ryan Howard experienced a setback. And the man who will spend time filling in for The Big Piece, Gentleman Jim Thome, hasn’t traveled with a baseball glove for the past, oh, half a decade.

Speaking to reporters today following a few innings at first base during a minor league game, Thome was asked if he even carried a glove during his time as a DH in the American League:

"I didn’t. No. No. No, because I was always told I was just the DH. Not that I wouldn’t have went out and done it, I just never have done it."

Did the Phillies need to order you some?

"I had a bunch of [gloves] still left, so…"

Sweet.

Thome fielded a chopper cleanly, but fell over like an awkward puppy pawing at a beach ball on the lone ground ball that was sent his way (:40 mark).

He played one game at first base with the White Sox in 2007, and three games in 2006.

Thankfully, we have a long way to go before the season starts.

• 3 Finger Lenny March 12, 2012 at 5:51 pm

I’d rather thome playing 1st everyday over nose. Hopefully char can squeeze out 6 innings a game out of old man thome

• OneManWolfpack March 12, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Long way?! or 22 days… I’m not panicking but I’m getting a little concerned.

• Coke Freak March 12, 2012 at 8:54 pm

This team should get its own group rate for AARP.

• Charlie Brown March 12, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Mayberry and Wigginton will get the majority of the games that Howard misses. I’d call this a slight overreaction. Matt Stairs couldn’t play a lick in the field – that turned out okay, didn’t it?

• Get Rube A Beer March 12, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Does anyone else feel like Andy Reid is running this team?

• Bev March 12, 2012 at 9:36 pm

^ no

• Coke Freak March 12, 2012 at 9:42 pm

If Mayberry and Wigginton are playing first, who is playing LF. Nix, another multi-year, wrong side of 30 signing by our dynamite GM, is now hurt.

• Charlie Brown March 12, 2012 at 10:28 pm

They can’t both play first, genius. Mayberry will see LF in those spots where Nix is unavailable or if they are facing lefties.

• Spanish Jose March 13, 2012 at 8:41 am

I was under the impression that the plan is a platoon in LF with Mayberry and Nix. Nix is out, which means Mayberry is the everyday LF, Wigginton the 1B man, and ocassionally Thome plays.
    That is a pretty scary propostion, we have no idea if Mayberry is ready for every day, Wigginton has not been an everyday player since 2008, and Thome is NOT an everyday player.
    I am concerned also.

• samsung行動電源 June 22, 2013 at 3:30 pm

I was suggested this web site by my cousin. I am not certain whether or not this publish is written by him as no one else know such comprehensive about my difficulty. You’re amazing! Thanks! your post about Very best Regards Cindy