Ilya Bryzgalov: “I’m Only Afraid of Bear, But Bear in the Forest”

Kyle Scott - April 9, 2012

Outstanding.

Before the bear comment, Bryzgalov was asked if the season would be a failure if the Flyers lost. His response:

"You know, I can’t comment because we’re not even playing. Why you start asking the questions like this? We’re not even start to play and you already prepared the crowd, people. Why do you start [shit*]? Think positive, guys."

*Not 100% sure that’s what he said, but the bleep and context clues help.

That video, edited by CSN, is after the jump [1:05 mark].

• mike mamzic April 9, 2012 at 11:19 pm

FINALY AN ATHLETE WHO TELLS IT LIKE IT IS. MEDIA FREAKOUTS HELP NO ONE. THEY PISS OFF FANS, THEY RATTLE PLAYERS, THEY COST WINS. THINK POSITIVE, DONT PROBE THEM

• FlyerX April 9, 2012 at 11:29 pm

It’s what happens when you have media slugs who really don’t know the game asking the questions.

• Matt April 9, 2012 at 11:34 pm

I am so proud of Bryz. We finally get an athlete who is standing up to the media. Well done.

• Andrew Mc April 9, 2012 at 11:49 pm

All I have to say here is Lavy better stick with Bryz. I would much rather lose with him as the starter in every game and just have it end quick if that is the way its going to go. We got this guy for a long time and he needs to know that its his ass on the line. We now know he can play shutout / lights out hockey. Bob is not going to win this team a cup. I still think not starting Bryz in the WC was a huge shot to his confidence. Only team can win the cup. This team has a lot of heart. A hot Bryz could carry this team a long way if we can get out of the Pgh series with some health.

• Aaron April 10, 2012 at 12:14 am

I agree 110% with everyones comments above, completely…lets go Flyers!

• Web Development April 10, 2012 at 6:36 am

Hahahahahaha…………..

• Guy who fucked Pens fan who goes to Temple's girlfriend April 10, 2012 at 6:45 am

The media person should be shot for that stupid ass question

• James April 10, 2012 at 7:01 am

Agree with everyone else. The media in this city is the biggest reason outsiders call this place “Negadelphia”. Just on my way to work this morning I heard Cataldi say we should been in freak out mode over the Phillies! Four games in and we should be in freak out mode? When did baseball shorten its season from 162 games to 16? And in the same sentence he said the Flyers are done, the Sixers are done (which ok I’ll give him that one. They need to trade Iguodala immediately, Iggy has the whole team tuning out Collins now), and he is already worried about the Eagles. I thought we put the negadelphia attitude behind us after 2008? It’s time to start thinking positively. Bravo Bryz, way to put these morons in their place. I would be more worried about this series if we had home ice. Flyers take the series 6.

• Penguins fan who goes to Temple** April 10, 2012 at 7:45 am

yeah like he’s not thinking of Sid & Malkin! SMH
    BTW Chirp is a POS

• 3 Finger Lenny April 10, 2012 at 8:07 am

James come on pal

• Steve April 10, 2012 at 8:20 am

Lavy has no say in whether Bryz is between the pipes.
    This ain’t Leighton/Boosh/Bob.
    Cash is king.
    If he can walk, he plays.

• Chirp April 10, 2012 at 9:03 am

Its funny how a Penguins fan (Temple) and a Rangers fan (Rob House) like to try and win over Flyers fans and keep them from picking on them by taking shots at me.
    Whatever helps you guys sleep at night.
    By the way Temple what are you a 5 year old? Cant say piece of shit so you use acronyms?
    I agree with most of the posts. Media is what causes rifts in the locker rooms here for almost all the sports teams. It pretty much destroyed Richards and Lavvy relationship. They love to just poke things to death and when they dont get what they want they start crying foul and start rallying fans to back them. See earlier this year when Flyers said Bryz would not talk to reporters. Media went crazy trying to turn the fans on the team.
    No doubt they need to stick with Bryz all the way through.
    3 finger lenny whats the prediction?

• Jonny April 10, 2012 at 9:27 am

I fucking Love Bryzgalov. But I hate that he is muzzled now. I want Bryz to speak his mind!
    BTW. Eff the media, these worms do nothing but cause problems.

• Jonny April 10, 2012 at 9:29 am

James, Don’t listen to Cataldi, he’s a frigging Yankees fan anyway, don’t let him fool you. He thrives off stirring the pot over the phillies.

• Steve April 10, 2012 at 9:39 am

Angelo stinks but he’s on to something.
    I’m not worried because I expected the Phils to contiue their downturn, but if any of you had World Series hopes you’d better get a grip.
    Start accepting that we won’t see Hamels here after this year too.
    Its only going to get worse.

• 3 Finger Lenny April 10, 2012 at 9:46 am

MOTHER F*CKER CHIRP, i LIKE THE fLYERS IN 7. yOUR BOY bRYZ WILL BE THE KEY.
    F*CKING CAPP LOCK

• nightscape94 April 10, 2012 at 9:47 am

Good thing he said the forest, because I would have been concerned playing those Bruins in the playoffs. Bear on ice not so scary.

• Guy who fucked Pens fan who goes to Temple's girlfriend April 10, 2012 at 10:05 am

This blog is dead….

• Pete H April 10, 2012 at 10:56 am

Hahaha…Pens fan..You’re funny. Its pretty funny to see that you and all you’re pens buddies are so confident that this series is going to be a breeze for you guys. Winning the season series 4-1 (that last game was a scrimmage for the players and refs) carries some weight. Our depth is pretty even, with you guys having a slight edge on offense and us having the edge on defense. And if you look at it objectively…Which goalie would you rather have going into the playoffs based on the last few weeks of the season?
    And fuck the media. Timmy P, Angelo and his dirty thirty, et al are fuckin assholes half the time.