Here are two stats that best sum up both the Phillies’ non-existent offense and the frivolity of early season stats:
The Phillies’ 4 extra-base hits are their fewest extra-base hits through four games since 1990, when they finished 22 of out 26 teams in scoring.
That’s concerning. But remember how important the early season is…
For the first time since 2007, the New York Mets are 4-0 to start a season.
And we all know how that ended…
I’m concerned. You’re concerned. We should all be concerned. But, the Phillies are going to be sans Chase Utley and Ryan Howard for – likely – at least a month, perhaps more. If they can stay .500 up until June, things will be just fine.
Splinters and semis:
– Cliff Lee… and his wife and kids… splashing around on a hot summer’s day. Here:
That’s the exclusive Lombard Swim Club, located at 2040 Lombard St. There is a year-long waiting list to become a member, but a certain magical steed and his family were exempt, causing other members to be upset at the VIP treatment given to Cliff Lee. Philly.com’s Dan Gross has that story.
– Long-time Philly radio voice and partner of Mike Missanelli, Steve Fredericks, died yesterday after a battle with Pancreatic Cancer. Mikey Miss gave a heartfelt tribute on-air yesterday. Read Fredericks’ obituary here.
– Blue Jays catcher J. P. Arencibia has some fans…
via The Big Lead
– Reader (@mvb123) checks in with the lone highlight from yesterday’s game. I didn’t see these, but the concession cups, it seems, have been upgraded. Nice touch:
– Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen had to fly back to Miami today to clarify his comments about Fidel Castro. The Marlins set up a video screen outside the ballpark, and it looks like no one cares:
Photo via Amy K. Nelson on Who Say