Your Morning Carts: I’m a King Now and I Scored a Hat Trick in Game 2 of the Western Conference Finals Last Night Edition!

Screen Shot 2012-05-16 at 8.32.18 AM

Somewhere, Paul Holmgren has started drinking again.

Today we find Carts in the most unlikely of places: the goal-scoring column of a playoff stat sheet.

Three times. He was there three times last night.

That’s right, Flyers fans and other assembled minions, Jeff Carter scored a hat trick in Game 2 of the Western Conference Finals, helping to give his team – the LA Kings, not the Philadelphia Flyers – a 2-0 series lead and tie the record for consecutive playoff road wins (7).

Carter became the first King to score a playoff hat trick since Wayne Gretzky did it in 1993.

We’ll let that sit there for a minute. ^

Screen Shot 2012-05-16 at 8.07.09 AM

Carts was asked how this compared to the Flyers' run in 2010:

“It’s real similar. Same thing when we were in Philly there. We had to battle right down to the last game, shootout there to make it. And, like I said, when you’re in that kind of position, it just kind of rolls over into the playoffs. Whereas, you know, if we were locked in there with a little while to go in the season, you know, you might sit back a little bit, get a little complacent.”

So, you're telling me that, last year, the Flyers, who were "locked in there with a little while to go in the season," may have just gotten a little complacent… they weren't overrun with organization-killing players who needed to be traded away with, like, a decade left of their respective contracts?! GAH!

Poor Jeff, though– he missed out on the Flyers’ annual season-ending casino trip, when the team went to Revel last Friday night. Guess he’s still pretty broken up about the trade. I mean, the Stanley Cup Finals won’t get over until, like, mid-June. Who’s going to occupy his Sea Isle house until then?!

Video of Carter’s hat trick after the jump.

• Stevie Radio May 16, 2012 at 8:53 am

He and Lundquivst haven’t gotten hurt yet.
    Every other year this isn’t the case.
    Whatever.
    Fuck them both.

• Dan Theman May 16, 2012 at 9:06 am

Whatever…the second goal was a Kopitar shot deflected (it just grazed) off his knee. Weak goal that shouldn’t be credited to Carter IMO.
    Anyway, good for Carts. He’s still overpaid and overrated.

• Paul Holmgren May 16, 2012 at 9:10 am

WTF CARTSY

• Alex May 16, 2012 at 9:14 am

If they actually pull it off, I may have to fly to LA and take the cup from them.

• Snow Balls at Santa May 16, 2012 at 9:16 am

Ill only throw up once if the Kings win the Cup..Carts and Richards are supporting players with Brown Kopitar Doughty and Quick. If the Rangers win the cup, Ill throw up on myself all Summer.

• Lt. May 16, 2012 at 9:17 am

And now that he’s had his required one game of scoring proficiency per playoff run, he can go back to quietly doing not much.
    Bank on it.

• Andrew Mc May 16, 2012 at 9:18 am

Not to take anything way from Jeff but 2 of the goals were 5 on 3 PPs. His second goal was a body deflection off a hard shot by Kopitar. So I think we can stop the Wayne Gretzky comparisons right about now.
    Quick is locked on like Tim Thomas last year. Frankly, I hope the Kings win the cup. Not for Jeff and Mike, but because I’m so sick of seeing Tim Thomas on these Capital One commercials I want to gouge my eyes out.

• Harry Mays May 16, 2012 at 9:19 am

Carter is gonna fuck a chick with the wide end of the Stanley Cup…ouch

• that guy May 16, 2012 at 9:21 am

can we get someone to stake out carter sea isle house?

• LemurCat May 16, 2012 at 9:27 am

I’d still trade the fucker. Never liked him, still don’t like him but don’t hate him. He is a pouty little bitch though.

• BobbyD May 16, 2012 at 9:29 am

Good for him actually. I’ve always liked the Kings and hope they win, especially over the Rangers/Devils.

• Flyers fan that goes to Sea Isle City University*** May 16, 2012 at 9:31 am

That guy – I will get pics w/ Carter, Richie and the cup in SIC this summer. Book it.

• Shiva H. Vishnu May 16, 2012 at 9:33 am

I can’t be mad about Carter or Richards. They both got screwed over after signing long-term contracts and dedicating themselves to an organization. Naive on their part? Maybe. Regardless, I’d rather see the Kings or Coyotes, two franchises who have never lifted the Cup, win. Also, because fuck the Devils and double fuck the Rangers.

• DAVE May 16, 2012 at 9:34 am

Dude get over these guys…..I don’t get the hate for RICHARDS? He was great. Carter I do.

• Mike May 16, 2012 at 9:38 am

How is Bobby Clarke going to feel when the team he assembled wins a cup in another city?

• Nova Supports Gay Wrights May 16, 2012 at 9:40 am

At least people finally have some sense why hate Carter and Richie. Both sounded like they were going to cry when they were traded away especially Richards on Preston and Steve. They loved the Flyers and were hated on way too much for partying. Which is funny beings everyone loves the ’93 Phillies for the exact same reason.

• Joe P. May 16, 2012 at 9:43 am

Hey man, these guys (and pretty much this Kings organization), are former FlyGuys. I’m pulling for them because they’ll save me from jumping off the Ben Franklin Bridge if the Devils or Rangers were to win. PLEASE DONT LET THAT HAPPEN, GOD!

• 3 Finger Lenny May 16, 2012 at 9:47 am

should be funny seeing carts & richie in SIC this june doing lines off the cup. Maybe bring it to the beach a la Chris Chelios

• mk May 16, 2012 at 9:48 am

rather have the kings win than the rangers

• Do Not Go to see RHCP in Newark, NJ May 16, 2012 at 9:57 am

The only way this season doesn’t end painfully is if the Coyotes can win 8 more games.

• @MartyBuckley May 16, 2012 at 9:58 am

Completely agree with Snow Balls. It’s not Richards and Carter’s team if they win the Cup. So I’ll be more okay with it then if any of the East teams win

• Pellie Eklund May 16, 2012 at 10:12 am

Can’t help but to be happy for Richie. Never liked him getting traded. As far as the rift between him and pronger, looks like flyers management sided with the wrong guy

• X LIVE May 16, 2012 at 10:15 am

Cant pull for the rangers under any circumstances.

• Hopdevil May 16, 2012 at 10:17 am

Worst move in pro sports history if Kings win the cup.

• Kings Fan that moved to Kansas from Philly after transferring from Temple to a college out here somewhere*********** May 16, 2012 at 10:20 am

Stop hating everyone.

• Marc W May 16, 2012 at 10:36 am

Waynes third goal in ’93 was scored off of a Toronto players skate. I saw it on youtube. So to compare the goals is just irrelevant…Good for Carter…They’ll be bring home the cup in June.

• Ant May 16, 2012 at 10:49 am

After the Kings beat down Vancouver, I was pretty interested in seeing how far this 8th seed would go and I was hoping they’d make it to the Cup. Rather have them win than the Devils or Rangers any day of the week. Plus, Carter contributed very little to the Kings run in terms of goals besides this game, so it’s really not that big of a deal. I never really had a problem with Carter and I do hope they win the Cup. I would be so bitter seeing NJ or NY win it all.

• B May 16, 2012 at 10:52 am

If the Kings win, my annoyance with Carter getting a ring will be outweighed with my happiness for Gagne and Richards getting one.
    Blue Jacket fans must be so pissed off right now.

• Chirp May 16, 2012 at 11:18 am

Flyers are still a better team with the trades.
    I would root for Rangers or Devils over Kings…I liked the kings too Quick is awesome, Brown, Doughty, Kopitar all guys I enjoyed watching and would love to see Gagne get a chance to get a ring.
    But…Carter does not deserve one and I do not want to see Richards win it either.

• OneManWolfpack May 16, 2012 at 11:26 am

The Flyers traded Richards to the Kings… not Carter. He pissed and moaned his way to LA because Columbus sucks and he is a pussy.
    And if… IF… they win the Cup it will because Jonathan Quick is completely ridiculous right now. Up until last night Carter had done nothing (1 goal) to help the team win.
    If Gagne and Richards get to lift the Cup, so be it. I have no ill-will against them. Carter is a whining bitch who hit Niemi in the chest when he shoulda scored an OPEN NET goal in game 6… but no, I’m not bitter. HA!

• Paul Holmgren May 16, 2012 at 11:27 am

I LOVE RICHIE

• Steve May 16, 2012 at 11:28 am

Q: Who’s going to occupy his Sea Isle house until then?!
    A: Anyone currently in the Flyers organization.

• Greg May 16, 2012 at 11:36 am

@ Mike. Nice Idiot… Bobby Clarke hasn’t been the GM in Years. He did not assemble anything.
    The trade was a win for all 3 organizations, thats right, it was 3. Carter was not traded to LA, he was traded to Columbus, then to LA because he couldn’t play with out his bed buddy Richards.
    If they win it, I will be happy, but because it won’t be the rangers or NJ.

• ron jeremy May 16, 2012 at 11:38 am

I’ll cum on a homeless man if Carter wins a fuckin cup, eat my cunt

• Stevie Radio May 16, 2012 at 11:40 am

Why does anyone think these guys will slum it in Jersey now that they been in LA?

• Louie DePalma May 16, 2012 at 11:52 am

Coincidence or not, the team upped their game since acquiring Carter. Love them or hate them, the bottom line is Carter and Richards both have a great shot at winning the Cup for a team that looks unbeatable right now.

• Jack Johnson May 16, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Doesn’t anyone feel bad for me?

• jam May 16, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Yay Jeff Carter scored… before last night he had 1 goal in the playoffs. Since Quick had a shut out.. again.. his goals were meaningless as they usually are. He can’t score when it’s needed or it matters.
    The upside of Courturier is still much brighter than the future of Jeff Carter. It’s about time for Jeff to put his right foot in a boot again.
    If the Kings win a Cup, I’ll be sad.. I can’t even be happy for Gagne.. he’s not playing. What did he do to earn it?

• Mike Richards' buddy, Jeff Carter May 16, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I’ll root for the kings… flyers west? hell yes.
    Plus, who is the cleavage sitting behind the Phoenix coach at 1:43?

• Penguins fan turned Devils fan who goes to temple********* May 16, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Gagne won’t even be on the cup, he didn’t play enough games this year

• San dusk e May 16, 2012 at 1:47 pm

That rule is for call ups, Gagne will be bending some slut from temple over the cup after a night at Kix’s

• Uncle Meat May 16, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I’m definitely rooting for the Kings. Carter, I was always lukewarm on, even with all the goals he scored. He was the Pat Burrell of the Flyers. Richards I really liked, and still do. I heard a network guy call him a pit bull, and that goal against Montreal 2 years ago personifies it. I’ll be happy for him, Gagne, AND Hextall to win it. I like the return we got for him, but still hated to see him go.

• WTF May 16, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Justin Williams assisted on a goal, Mike Richards assisted on a goal, and Carter is credited with three goals. Ron Hextall is the Kings’ assistant GM and VP.
    Gagne probably won’t be back in the lineup this year, even though he was cleared for contact drills at practice…but he’s still a King.
    So, Flyers-West…wow. WTF.

• dookiepoopbutt May 16, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I wonder if Gretzky also celebrated his playoff hat trick by banging his teammate’s wife in a haze of cocaine and vicodin.

• tjrant May 16, 2012 at 3:18 pm

The Flyers’ Revel scene Friday night was pretty lame. I saw them at the casino floor bar called the Social. It was Giroux, Schenn, Hartnell, JVR, and Gustavsson. They were just sitting there drinking, watching the Sixers, and not talking to anybody. They barely even talked to each other. It was actually kind of sad.

• Paul Holmgren May 16, 2012 at 4:59 pm

How many times do you think Richie tapped Paulina Gretzky?

• X Live Panty Dropper May 16, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Richie has waxed that ass from every angle imaginable

• sam May 20, 2012 at 3:41 pm

i’m late to the party on this but just so everyone knows i’m pretty sure his 3 goals were #’s 2,3,4 of the night for the kings, and they shutout the ‘yotes so he didn’t even have the game-winner. classic carts.