Mets Deny Requests For Physical Tickets From Johan Santana’s No-Hitter

Screen Shot 2012-06-05 at 12.05.05 PM

Finally
, Mets fans have something to be excited about. A unifying moment to celebrate: Johan Santan’s no-hitter. Surely they will go out of their way to exploit the event and generate goodwill with fans, yes?

Not likely.

Naturally, many who attended the first ever Mets no-no (and first Nohan) Friday night want a commemorative ticket. But, in this day of interwebtuals and print-at-home tickets, some who saw it live don’t have a traditional stub… and the Mets aren’t going to give them one.

According to CNBC sports business reporter Darren Rovell, the Mets, in a misguided and tone-deaf move, have denied fans’ requests for physical tickets. Rovell suggests that the team charge $5 (or more) for the keepsake, something that would both appease paying fans and generate some much needed money.

Two years ago when Roy Halladay threw his perfect game in Florida, the Marlins sold tickets from unused seats after the game at face value. It was a smart business decision that gave everyone involved a warm, fuzzy feeling (myself included– I bought two). But of course the Mets have managed to miss that low-hanging fruit.

• Roose (TTB) June 5, 2012 at 12:07 pm

So they’re charging $5? What’s wrong with that?

• L2112Lif June 5, 2012 at 12:10 pm

They’re NOT charging $5. They’re NOT giving out physical tickets.
    Read the post, much?

• Joe Harsh June 5, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Did you read the article Roose?

• L2112Lif June 5, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Anyway, an actual comment. It really doesn’t surprise me, the Mets have not been good at monetizing their team for awhile now. They just came back from a streak where every jersey sale included a free face-shielding bag…

• Roose (TTB) June 5, 2012 at 12:20 pm

My bad, I should read better haha

• Adam B June 5, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Total violation to purchase tickets to a past event that you did not attend. Com’on Kyle…that’s terrible.

• Crispy June 5, 2012 at 2:03 pm

One hitter

• Brad @ticketliquidator June 5, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I find it quite strange that they would find any objection to presenting printed tickets to supporters that wish to keep them as a souvenir which reminds them of the match. The idea of the Marlins to sell unused tickets from unsold seats makes perfect sense and I can’t see why this is not adopted by Mets, which would actually generate some revenue and appease fans. I think that with some pressure from fans on online discussion boards, they might be convinced otherwise in the future, which would give fans a piece of the club’s history which would be treasured in the future.

• TP June 5, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Not that I would want to compare the Phillies to the stinkin’ Mets, but I was at Halladay’s no hitter against the Reds in the playoffs. I had bought my seats off stub hub, so I didn’t have an actual stub, either. I emailed the Phillies that night when I got home, even offering to pay whatever the cost was to get an actual ticket stub, and was quickly denied. Seems like the Marlins are the exception and not the rule.