Chris Wheeler Talks About Twitter and Possible Confusing Travel Plans for the Phillies

image from mobilwi.typepad.com
And what's the deal with Cyberspace?

Chris Wheeler called into 97.5 The Fanatic today (a format in which he is infinitely more likable). He spoke with Tony Bruno and Jon Marks about the Phillies’ comeback, Jimmy Rollins, and Penn State (of course), among other things. But what stood out to me (and my fever as we drove in sweatpants in 80 degree weather to get our prescription) were Wheeler’s comments about A) Twitter and B) the headache the Phillies’ traveling secretary will have when making plans for October.

First up, the Twitter talk, in which Wheels (amazingly) reveals that he knows about (@THE_REAL_WHEELS) parody account, which, sadly, hasn’t updated since July. Wheeler was talking about the online reaction toward Penn State’s kicker this weekend, and immediately hopped up onto his high horse about people in cyberspace attacking a kid. Then, this:

“We all deal with it. People do it to us. They do it to you guys, I’m sure. If that’s what your life involves, if that’s what you have to do with it, you know, it’s one of those things, I guess.”

You weren’t on Twitter blasting him, Wheels?

“I can’t even spell Twitter. Somebody had a Twitter account, Tony, I think it was last year or the year before, it was called The Real Wheels or something. I didn’t even know about it. People kept saying, “What are you saying this for?” I said, “What are you talking about?” I didn’t even know what Twitter or Tweeter was. Now I have a much better idea. So no, I have nothing to do with it. I understand the whole concept. I’m not going to be a fossil about it, but I have no interest in being involved in it.”

Somewhere, Bob Costas is stroking himself.

Now, on the Phils’ efforts to plan for what could be confusing October travel with the new Wild Card and playoff scenarios:

“Let me tell you, Tony, on the plane last night, I sit in front of Frank Coppenbarger, who’s our director of travel. And you think it’s crazy right now, how would you like to be this guy, who 2-3 weeks ago thought [he] was going to be playing golf in a few weeks, to the point of right now, where you’re going “Oh my god, do I have to get hotel rooms for one night in this town? Do I have to set up a hotel another night in this town? Do I have to worry about getting Delta (Phillies’ charter) to have an airplane ready here, have an airplane ready there?" It’s all very strange.”

Strange indeed. Sexy, even.

Listen to the interview. It’s all around the one-hour mark of the full show.

• Chance-Vice President in Command of the GnA Falcons September 13, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Wheels reminds me of the type of guy who would stick his dick into anybody

• what? September 13, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Bitch you wasn’t wit me shootin’ in the gym.

• Bitter Old Woman September 13, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Omg just reading his comments I want to gouge out my eyes! I can’t make it through a game without saying shut the f up! iI don’t know which is worse moobs mccarthy and calling anyone younger than 50 yrs old a “youngster” and squirrel head’s infinite wisdom I want to scream

• Angry Greg Ryan September 13, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Wheels is a Philly institution. I love him

• reggie September 13, 2012 at 11:40 pm

tough to compete with the absolute garbage and trash that they ran to the mound tonight. How can a team with this payroll be forced to rely on that garbage pitching, from the first pitch on.

• Your Mother September 14, 2012 at 8:34 am

Fuck Wheels son, Fuck him and his lousy toupee’. If you talk about Wheels in a positive light again I will feed your dinner to Fido.

• Lenny Stevens September 14, 2012 at 9:02 am

Diekman is a pos

• BAPs September 14, 2012 at 9:15 am

I was half-expecting to see an “End of Days” post today since the Phils lost last night…

• Coffee making machine September 17, 2012 at 3:50 am

Pleased to be here and see this. Many thanks for sharing.

• Subhash September 23, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I hope you two aren’t upset when you find out what @jadd6810 pointed out.This is a farbication.Sure, some truth, but that facility was CGI as were many other action’ shots.This whole show stinks of special effects to high heaven.

• Petersan September 25, 2012 at 11:51 pm

I got to see the beginning up til they frezee framed the truck landing the jump at a bad angle and cut to commercial, then it stopped xp@setmeonfiretwice I don’t understand his comment, or know what IMDb means