A roundup for this morning of twos.
Some frivolous and noteworthy items from the past few days that I didn’t get a chance to get to yesterday, in part because Hayley, our one and a half year old Lab-Whippet mix, thought it would be a good idea to roll around in mud and then treat bath time like it was a trip to Splash Mountain.
Let’s hit it.
But first, a word from our sponsors:
– CHRISTMAS MOVIE QUIZZO. Tonight at Drinker’s West at 8 p.m. Tomorrow at Drinker’s Tavern at 8:30 p.m. Four movies: Home Alone, A Christmas Story, Christmas Vacation, and Elf. Originally, the questions were going to be the same each night. But we’ve decided to switch it up. So, if come tonight and tomorrow, you will hear different questions– two chances to play, two chances to win. More here.
– Want to meet Donovan McNabb and Brian Dawkins? How about both? McNabb will be signing autographs at the Sports Vault in the King of Prussia Mall on Saturday, January 5 from 1 – 2:30. Dawkins will be at the Sports Vault in the Exton Square Mall on Saturday, January 19 from 1 – 3:30. Details and tickets here.
– Betting advice? Stop by GodatherLocks.com and save $20 off daily picks by using code Crossing. Godfather Locks has a 95% NBA winning total and offers guarantees so you’re always a winner. Check it out here.
– Give the gift of love and self-discovery to yourself or someone else (or both of you simultaneously?) this holiday season with a subscription to GirlsOfPhilly.com. With 10 years of local girls, it’s almost guaranteed you’ll see someone you know, or someone from your town, naked. Click here. Landing page is SFW, but after that, you’re own your own.
– Philly Phaithful’s ’93 line is a hot-seller this holiday season. Get t-shirts and apparel celebrating Dutch, Mickey, Milt, the Krukker, Lenny and others. Use code cbgiftpack and get three t-shirts for $50. Shop here.
– Monkey’s Uncle, in Doylestown, is your place for licensed retro and vintage sports and Philly-related gear. Clarke, Bernie, Dr. J, and Schmidt are all present. Use code BROAD to get $10 off orders of $50 or more. Shop here.
– The Armadillo Club features original apparel celebrating Philly and our favorite athletes. Make Harry proud by picking up the Whitey shirt, or grab The Minister of Defense jam. Get 25% off with code FIREANDY. Shop here.
– Joe Conklin’s new comedy DVD, Voices In My Head, makes a perfect holiday gift. Includes content from over 20 years of bringing celebrity voices to the stage and screen, and it features a behind-the-scenes look at Conklin’s work for WIP. Get one for $14.99 on Amazon.
– Ben Revere ate so much food on Sunday night that he almost shat himself:
– Adam Aron managed to find a line more meaningless and absurd then third most wins in NBA history:
– Andrew Bynum spoke with reporters before the Sixers beat the Pistons last night. Here’s what he had to say about his knees… and his hair.
Knees: [CSN Philly]
“I feel pain walking around, so it’d be silly to go out and start playing basketball right away (once cleared) because it’s just going to get worse,” Bynum said, noting that the swelling in his right knee is gone. “If this was the Finals and we have a chance to win, I’d be able to play. Who wouldn’t want to be a part of that? But why risk anything when you have time to come back and be 100 percent?”
In other words: No one in the Association is 100%. Like me. But do you really think I’m going to ruin my chances at getting a max contract playing in games in December and January? Aww hell no! I’ll be back late-February, so I can play just long enough to show a few GMs who will be stupid enough to want to sign me that I still got it. After all, I’m only 25… and, you know, my hair.
Hair: [Delco Times]
How much higher can the afro grow?
“Oh man, I want it to go forever, man. There’s going to come and point in time where it’s not going to be growing, so I might as well enjoy it while I have it.”
Why flatten it like Dora the Explorer that one time?
“It wasn’t Dora, man. It was ‘Pimp Named Slickback’ (a character from The Boondocks cartoon). No, I flattened it because it gets boring picking it out all the time.”
I always get bored picking my hair out too. Pain. In. The. Ass, I tell you.
– NBC Sports and Yahoo! Sports, two of the most web-forward sports outlets there are, have partnered up in what can only be described as a big, internetworkal handjob:
While Yahoo! Sports and the NBC Sports Group will continue to maintain separate sites and editorial control of their respective newsrooms and digital properties, they will collaborate on premium sports news and events coverage both online and on the air. Yahoo! Sports’ popular products will also be included in the NBC Sports Group’s digital assets.
We are very close to having two major sports media conglomerates– ESPN and Comcast-NBC-Yahoo!-whatever-the-fuck. I don’t think that’s a good thing.
– The Phillies had talked with the Indians about Asudubai Assange Abunasir Assdribble Arsonarnie Andersoncooper Asdrbuablabrlabal Asdrubal Cabrera. Words from Cleveland:
Before the start of the winter meetings last week in Nashville, the two teams were talking about a trade that would have sent shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera to Philadelphia for right-hander Vance Worley and prospects.
– Eagles fan kisses reporter on live television following first win since Hurricane Sandy and all three presidential debates. UPDATE: Not Philadelphia Eagles fan. Still funny.
– Phillies Nation explains how the Phillies have enough money to sign Josh Hamilton.
– Look out, ladies. It's the holiday season and Dom Brown is prowling. A tipster sends along this screenshot – from last year – of Dom Brown flirting with a lady on Facebook (not the first time we’ve heard this):
– And Johnny Football’s girlfriend.
H/T to Tyler