Andy Reid Has Reportedly Agreed to Terms with the Chiefs

Screen Shot 2013-01-04 at 11.53.41 AM
Illustration via Chris Sembower

And it’s all but official– Andy Reid is the new head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs.

Adam Schefter, Chris Mortensen, Reuben Frank and Howard Eskin, apparently, all got the same text message from a source– that Reid to the Chiefs is done pending lawyers reviewing the contract.

Frank reports Reid's deal is for five years. A report from Derrick Gunn says that Reid will take Juan Castillo with him to be his offensive line coach.

The Chiefs will play at Lincoln Financial Field next season.

• PAT MULLEN January 4, 2013 at 12:07 pm

SMDH

• eb January 4, 2013 at 12:10 pm

like ive been saying for a week now, this should be not reid’s return to philly. the game SHOULD be played in kansas city. eagles hosted KC 4 yrs ago and it is supposed to alternate home/away every 4 yrs. the nfl is a bunch of momos.

• The Original that guy January 4, 2013 at 12:12 pm

he only signed with KC because he thought there would be 53 chefs on his roster

• srl January 4, 2013 at 12:15 pm

If you are Juan Castillo, why would you agree to work again for the guy who put you in a position you weren’t qualified for, set you up to fail, and then canned you for not surprisingly being a mediocre DC, when the guy behind the idea was really the one to blame. Castillo wasn’t even that bad, either.
    The guy is mad loyal.

• Coach Wash January 4, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Good to hear Juanita has a new job

• Michael Bennett January 4, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Why would Juan want to go with him? Andy set him up for failure and threw him under the bus.

• Frontman January 4, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Bring Juan along after you fired him?
    Or maybe it was someone else who fired Juan?
    hmmmmm

• Ohlongjohnson January 4, 2013 at 12:19 pm

He is going to look like the Kool Aid man on the sidelines.

• RubesPubes January 4, 2013 at 12:21 pm

@ srl, he would take a bullet for Andy remember?

• Mr. O'Doyle January 4, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Andy didn’t want to fire Juan. He did because of the pressure from management/ownership and the fans (who were calling for his head, not Juan’s). He probably told Juan when he fired him that he would bring him along wherever his next gig was.

• Will January 4, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Would you go to KC or remain unemployed? It’s a simple question. Last I heard, no one was lining up to interview Juan Castillo.

• heynow January 4, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Eskin going too ?

• Rob January 4, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I’m sure Reuben Frank’s source is Reid himself. That insufferable hack’s career has been based off of blowing Reid. Too bad he isn’t going to KC with him.

• THWND January 4, 2013 at 12:52 pm

why does everyone say that andy set up juan to fail? Juan really wanted the job. Andy trusted him and gave him an opportunity and Juan failed. People are looking at it the wrong way.

• Master January 4, 2013 at 12:55 pm

You know, Juan was the one who accepted the job as DC…He could’ve easily declined the offer if he thought he wasn’t qualified. Its not like it was forced on him..There are two sides to the coin with that.

• Ryan January 4, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Pre-arranged deal between Reid and Castillo during Juan’s firing: Reid would bring Juan with him when he, himself, would be inevitably fired??

• MM January 4, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Very Cool…

• Davis January 4, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Ok, Reid is now another team’s coach…let’s move on, and stop posting about him. I understand that it’s something that needed to be reported, but all these Reid posts have made me stop coming to the site as often as normal. I’m just very exhausted by the coverage.

• PAT MULLEN January 4, 2013 at 1:20 pm

smh

• IH8Negadelphians January 4, 2013 at 2:47 pm

So who gets to drive him to the airport? Good riddance.

• trippin January 4, 2013 at 3:14 pm

fuck Andy Reid. I hope he fails over and over and realize he is an awful coach

• Tommy Carcetti January 4, 2013 at 3:27 pm

11 weeks ago: Andy: ‘Juan, I have to can someone TODAY. I must fire someone today to show that I’m not in a coma. I have to feed the beast. I’ll cut you loose now and get you back when I get my next job, which will be 4 days after I leave this God-forsaken, unforgiving shithole.’
    Juan : ‘No problem Big Guy. Let Bowles coach these under-acheiving, non-tackling wastoids. I’ll fall on the sword and catch you at the next gig.’
    Mission Accomplished. Next stop: Losing our first of many AFC Title games.

• ThePhillyFlash January 4, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Now that the signing is official, if I’m Jamaal Charles, I’m on the phone to my agent to demand a trade because Reid will let him rot on the sidelines like he did Lesean McCoy so Big Red could dial up 60 pass plays per game, regardless of the quarterback of the condition of his offensive line.

• lumpy7 January 5, 2013 at 9:10 pm

What the?? No no, Gunn did not report Castillo is going with Reid, he reported there’s an offer. Big difference. Offers happen all the time.

• Acampamento January 12, 2013 at 4:54 pm

I agree with you both. As I stated in the post, I don’t think that it’s dicsriminatory either. What I was saying is that if people can make this association (particularly since Valleywag did), the connotation is now out there and can be used against them.