There was No Chance Roy Halladay Wasn’t Going to Throw at Someone After Stephen Strasburg Drilled Chase Utley

Halladay_throw

Roy Halladay was just following orders.

Earlier this spring, Halladay told reporters that Chase Utley suggested he "drill a few guys" this year. So, today, Doc let his scalpel slip.

Utley got drilled in the left ankle by a Stephen Strasburg fastball in the third inning. There were two men on at the time and wayward pitch didn’t appear to be intentional, but that didn’t stop Halladay from retaliating an inning later.

With two outs and none on in the top of the fourth, Halladay’s first pitch to Tyler Moore sailed to the backstop. It slippedAt least that’s what Halladay told reporters after the game:

“Yeah, that one slipped a little bit,” said Halladay, easing out a slight smile. “It slipped. That’s not necessarily the case, but I think we do need to protect our guys to an extent. I’m not saying that’s what happened. It slipped, but I think that’s important. We’ve had a lot of guys hit over the years. I think as a staff we need to do a good job of protecting those guys. Spring Training, I don’t think you’re necessarily trying to do it. But it wouldn’t have been the worst thing had it got him after getting one of our good guys.”

And when asked if he was intentionally trying to hit Utley, Strasburg said:

"I don't have any reason to throw at him, do I?" Strasburg said.

"I mean, I don't understand why they'd think I was throwing at them. Obviously you can tell the conditions weren't great and I yanked it in there. It's spring training. If you're going to throw at somebody or give a message in spring training, go ahead."

Message received, it would seem.

• Informed March 6, 2013 at 5:58 pm

im ok with pitchers protecting batters. i have noticed a number of phillies hitters have been hit over these last few years. just looked it up and the phils were 3rd in 2009, 4th in 2010, 11th in 2011, and 3rd in 2012 in MLB teams hit by a pitch. its drove me nuts as it seems like no one on the phils staff stepped up and threw retaliatory pitches. so, clearly, the phils have lacked an enforcer on their staff these last few years. then again, the last thing i want to see is halladay plunking some nobody and then that nobody charges the mound and halladay possibly gets hurt in the exchange.

• John Bolaris Poopy Pants March 6, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Fuck the nats & their pop neck loser manager.

• Pussy Kyle scott who brought back comments for page views March 6, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Candy from the oAk is a faggot guys.

• TJ March 6, 2013 at 6:14 pm

@Pussy Kyle scott who brought back comments for page views.
    So is Angelo Cataldi

• Ruben Amaro's Permed Cock March 6, 2013 at 6:38 pm

We all know that Halladay missed on purpose. If he were actually trying, Tyler Moore wouldn’t live to tell the tale… Also, John Lannan probably caused that pitch to hit Utley by sneezing really hard and blowing the ball towards him… Also I would let Mike Rizzo touch my right nut if he gave me Stephen Strasburg. That guy accomplished more in his big league debut that Kendrick and Lannan have in my entire careers.

• Ruben Amaro's Permed Cock March 6, 2013 at 6:40 pm

*their entire careers…and obviously mine too. Hell, I made Michael Martinez look like a combination of Ted Williams and Jesus.

• John Bolaris Poopy Pants March 6, 2013 at 6:47 pm

If comments keep getting deleted the page views will go down again.

• me March 6, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Strasbourg went for the knees…it was on purpose.

• the700level has real sports news March 6, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Doc’s Scalpel huh? Doc got his nickname from Doc Holliday. If you weren’t a liberal hipster you’d know he was a gunfighter from the wild west days.

• Slammin Gretzky's Daughter March 6, 2013 at 9:24 pm

@the700level, if you weren’t a liberal hipster, you would know that Doc Holliday the gunslinger was actually also a licensed dentist and that’s why he has the nickname Doc. So the doctor analogy works.

• Tyrone March 7, 2013 at 6:25 am

Haters gonna hate

• ThePhillyFlash March 7, 2013 at 6:36 am

And Val Kilmer was awesome as Doc Holliday in Tombstone.

• Bile Scott March 7, 2013 at 8:16 am

I like it! I like it, a lot! As soon as this was reported, I immediately thought of the Ricky Jordan/Cardinals incident during Spring Training in the ’93 season. Players would cite that as the moment when they knew the team was something special. I’m not saying this is exactly the same but it certainly has the potential to light a spark and unify this group of guys.

• Chutley March 7, 2013 at 9:01 am

@the700 level… He could just be using the analogy to say Halladay is as precise as a Dr. with his scalpel when he is pitching…you Rittenhouse bike messenger hipster

• Edward Murphy March 7, 2013 at 10:45 am

Please tell me that the nats dugout was on the 3rd base side. That would make his stare in that direction after the pitch even better

• Edward Durrrphy March 7, 2013 at 11:16 am

Look who is home & who is away in the icon on the top left of the screen. That would indicate whose dugout is on which side. Geez, you would think you people who have been watching almost 5 years would figure this stuff out by now.

• Player #15 March 8, 2013 at 9:37 am

I wonder what the real Edward Murphy’s thoughts are on this. Has he petitioned for squishy balls to be thrown and all players mandated to wear bubbles suits yet? I know Ruben Amaro is secretly crowbarring Utley’s knees, just as Ed Snider is secretly witholding equipment from his players.