Donovan McNabb, Martyr, Talked to the Daily News About His Time with the Eagles

Donovan McNabb talked about things.

He sat down with Paul Domowitch for an exclusive interview that will run in the Daily News tomorrow. A few excerpts were released on Philly.com today and, in them, McNabb talked about being booed, the perception that he was an Uncle Tom, and the time Jim Thome allegedly said it was hard playing in Philly. Go:

Q: Any concerns that you might hear some boos when they honor you in September?

A: “I truly wouldn’t care. To me, it’s an appreciation for the people who truly respected what I did. I’ve always lived by the motto that you can’t please everyone. So, for me, if I get booed, it wouldn’t be anything new. If they cheer, that would be great. Obviously I’ll be out there with my family and the teammates I played with. If there are any boos, I will smile.”

“I’ve always heard that they appreciate you (more) when you’re gone. It’s funny. Flying out here, I stopped in Chicago to visit my family. I ran into (former Phillie) Jim Thome in the airport. We were talking about playing in Philly. He asked me how I dealt with it because he said it was really hard for him. I said I just let it run right down my back. I never let it bother me. I told him I loved the game too much to let it affect what I was doing. All the time I put in preparing, I didn’t let it bother me.”

No, obviously, the boos just rolled right off McNabb’s back and he never held a grudge. Obviously. But what’s more interesting – to me, at least – is why Jim Thome felt compelled to tell McNabb that playing in Philly was “really hard” for him. There are few athletes more Ben Revered around here than Thome. Part of me… thinks Donovan put his own Donovan spin on that.

Q: What’s your opinion of Philly fans?

A: “I thought they were true fans who loved the Eagles and loved the game of football. Opinionated, for sure. But they loved their teams. They just want to see winners. And over the years, we gave them that. But after a while, the wins didn’t become enough. It became all about winning the Super Bowl, which was understandable. That was the same attitude we went in with as players after we won the NFC Championship (in ’04). We felt we needed to win a Super Bowl. And that didn’t happen.”

It became all about winning the Super Bowl. Yuck. Yes, Former Five, that is understandable. After five NFC Championship game appearances (losing three as the favorite), winning the Super Bowl becomes the next logical step.

Q: You pushed for the Eagles to sign Michael Vick after he got out of prison in ’09. What are your thoughts on him?

A: “I just think right now he’s trying too hard to fit in. it’s like somebody got his ear and tried to tell him this is what Don didn’t do. You’ve got to relate to the fans and the African-Americans in Philadelphia. Because they looked at Don differently. He’s doing too much. And he’s worrying too much. When you start focusing on pleasing people on the outside, it takes away what you’re doing out on the field.”

Trying too hard to fit in can, sometimes, take away what you’re doing on the field. We’ve seen that before. But I doubt someone is in Vick’s ear telling him that he needs to better relate to black people in Philadelphia.

More here.

• tk July 24, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Donovan, take Jim Thome out of your mouth.

• Crucify Wheels July 24, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Wait… what the fuck did we ever do to Jim Thome?? And fuck McNabb and his soup selling whore of a mother.

• Still Trying? July 24, 2013 at 3:56 pm

“Donovan McNabb talked about things.”

Kyle are you giving up on giving an honest effort in reporting? Or are you trying to be funny?

I can’t tell which ‘_’

• 1 and 5 July 24, 2013 at 4:05 pm

“I said I just let it run right down my back. I never let it bother me”
    In his 6 biggest games, 5 NFC Titles and 1 SuperBowl, he was 1 and 5.

I agree, he never let it bother him.

Philadelphians and just about everyone who lives within 100 miles don’t think that way. They’d be pissed. They’d show anger.
    But Donnie Mac never let it bother him.

We know No. 5. And that’s why there’s little love for you here. We like our team leaders to actually give a shit.

• Jeff July 24, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Way to turn a comment on how he dealt with thr philly fans and media into, “He never cared.” Can we just stop with the constant witch hunts of this guy? Every inoccuous irrelevant comment this guy makes gets blown wayyyy out of proportion and just makes us look like the idiots were portrayed as nationally. “Hey, there go those nimrod philly fans needlessly insulting the best qb they ever had….again…years later.”

And btw, how did it work out when guys like rollins or bryzgalov would give their honest opinions of the philly fans? Everyone threw a fit about those two caring enough to be honest. Unless athletes placate our fanbase’s rabid ego woth lame, “They boo becauss they care” type answers, we tear them apart.

• Bill July 24, 2013 at 4:19 pm

What did we do to Thome? Hahahaha standing O’s everytime he’s here.

• Bill July 24, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I like Don alot more when he was playing

• Marcus Vick Hayes July 24, 2013 at 4:53 pm

He also let our chances run right down his facemask when he puked in the SB

• Really? July 24, 2013 at 5:00 pm

…And then threw a touchdown pass? Grow up.

• lol July 24, 2013 at 5:20 pm

OWNED

• Bill July 24, 2013 at 6:13 pm

He had a terrible Superbowl. Shut the fuck up.

• Maxie July 24, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Jim Thome? Thanks a lot Jim; take the knife out of our backs now! I guess they are all jerks. I don’t care what Donovan thinks but I had to laugh at his remark that Bernard Hopkins doesn’t let anything go. Look in the mirror Donovan.

• ThePhillyFlash July 25, 2013 at 7:01 am

I seriously doubt Jim Thome ever said what he did since he was beloved in Philly. As for McNabb, while I greatly appreciate everything he did for the Eagles and is easily one of the best quarterbacks in franchise history, I am TIRED of his martyr act. By going on and on and on with his “woe is me” routine, he does nothing but cement his reputation as a thin-skinned, rabbit-eared whiner with a persecution complex, an insecure man-child incapable of letting go of slights, be they real or perceived. I don’t hate McNabb, never have, never will, but I can’t stand his being such a pussy.

• Tony Johnson December 11, 2013 at 4:12 am

Is Donovan the same pussy who played nearly 3 and a half quarters on a broken leg against Arizona and threw for 3 or 4 touchdowns. I would suspect that you only know a pussy because you see one when you look in the mirror.