Donovan McNabb’s Tearful Retirement Speech

Despite all the swords we’ve poked Donovan McNabb with over the past few weeks (all deserved), it should be noted that the tearful speech he gave today at the NovaCare Complex was tremendous. Following laudatory remarks from the Brians – Westbrook and Dawkins –  McNabb appeared shaken as he thanked his parents, wife, kids, teammates, the organization and, yes, “Big Red”:

“Last but not least, I want to thank Big Red, who probably is in camp right now, for taking the chance and sticking with me in 1999, 11 great years. We’ll be forever linked together, but that’s one the things I can honestly say I love it. We made history big fella. Again, to everyone that’s here, to everyone that’s watching, to all the fans, I truly love you. I gave everything I had. When I stepped out on that field, I never complained. When you seen ‘5’, you knew 5 was going to give you what he got.”

It felt a bit like Donovan was working on the Canton speech that probably won’t come. And his words were a bit… um, lofty for a room full of Eagles scriptuals and in-house personnel. But it was probably the only opportunity Five will get to do something like this. He did a nice job with it. Bonus points for the iPad, too.

The Eagles have put together this very cool page on the legacy of McNabb. It’s worth checking out.

Video via the Eagles, partial transcription via CBS Philly

• Crucify Wheels July 29, 2013 at 11:36 am

Now go home and get your shine box Donny

• Donovan Pesci July 29, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Mother fuckin’ mutt! You, you fucking piece of shit! Motherfucking… You fake old tough guy! You bought your fucking button!

• Mrs cb the whore July 29, 2013 at 11:41 am

10 minute speech and didn’t say one word about the fans who put $250 million in his pocket? That’s why u will never be loved in this city

• Talbot's Fucking Penis July 29, 2013 at 11:43 am

I’m assuming you didn’t watch the video. Kyle even quoted a portion of his speech regarding the fans.

• Coco July 29, 2013 at 11:46 am

So I guess you didn’t even read the article. “To all the fans, I love you.”

You’re an idiot.

• Mike July 29, 2013 at 11:48 am

He did. I know reading and listening is difficult, but try it sometime.

• delvec July 29, 2013 at 11:56 am

yes he did- @8:10- He loved us(the fans) and gave us everything he had, (including his pre Super Bowl meal)

• Deb mess July 29, 2013 at 12:47 pm

You need to listen and not read.

• Donovan Pesci July 29, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Your either deaf, or just an ass. Id go with the latter

• Informed July 29, 2013 at 11:50 am

While McNabb was here, I felt that much of the criticism of his was unwarranted and unjust. He is the best QB in the history of this franchise and he was the centerpiece of the fun and exciting stint of 2001-2005. However, since his trade and especially since his retirement, he has done nothing but dig is own hole deeper with sll this passive aggressive nonsense. If something doesn’t truly bother you, then nothing pertaining to that subject should come out of your mouth. In that philadelphia magazine article interview, he sounded like a middle school girl. Hence, he is shitting on his own legacy.

• I miss Jim Johnson :( July 29, 2013 at 11:15 pm

If you want to know how important to the franchise he was, just look at how everything has gone wrong since he got old/left. Though to be fair, this franchises woes also DEFINITELY coincided with the passing of one of the greatest D-Coordinators to have lived, Jim Johnson. Actually, I honestly believe JJ played a more key role in the Eagles success than both Fat Red and Donovan

• Jon July 30, 2013 at 12:08 am

“If something doesn’t truly bother you, then nothing pertaining to that subject should come out of your mouth.”

Sure wish every self righteous asshole who still bitches about mcnabb to this day would head that advice…The hypocrisy here is mesmerizing.

• Deb mess July 29, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Negative people shut up and go away. Thanks for the excitement #5!

• ThePhillyFlash July 29, 2013 at 1:02 pm

A nice speech by McNabb. He said all the right things and kept it real. I applaud him for that.

• Maxie July 29, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Even though I can’t stand the victim role he has played in recent years and his whining, he was an excellent quarterback and an outstanding role model (no drugs, women or gangsta parties with guns). It was a pleasure to watch him in his prime and I remember the exciting games before the recent collapse. Thank you Donovan (now be quiet)!

• Steve Zack July 29, 2013 at 2:01 pm

D Mac looks like he’s been enjoying burgers

• Crucify Wheels July 29, 2013 at 2:08 pm

The worm population in NFL field soil has recovered and tripled since this overrated slob retired. Hurricane Schwartz would be the team’s leading passer with Reid calling the shots. McNabb choked in the spotlight when it mattered every time, end of story.

• Steve Susdorf July 29, 2013 at 3:05 pm

He truly was a gifted aff-lete.

• step 3: make her open the box July 29, 2013 at 4:11 pm

The tears are appropriate; we all cried through a lot of his career. All joking aside, this is a good speech and well delivered.

• ThePhillyFlash July 29, 2013 at 5:18 pm

I’m sure this question has already been asked, but would the Eagles have still rushed McNabb’s induction into their wall of fame for this upcoming season if Andy Reid WASN’T coming to town in September? I think not.

• Jon July 30, 2013 at 12:18 am

Now were starting c conspiracy theories about his induction ceremony? This is why philly is portrayed as baboons in thd national spotlight…Because we are! Its statements like this that drive me nuts abkut the mcnabb haters. Yes the guy put his foot in his mouth at times throughout his career, but for every valid criticism hurled at him there were 12 ridiculously baseless ones hurled at him…Like that his induction ceremony is somehow flawed or some bogus nonsense. the past few weeks habe been a microcasm of this…you could maybe call him out for a quote or two in the philly mag article, yet people were blowing every line of that piece out of proportion. He got blasted for simply asking what people thought about arron hernandez. And now people are bitching about the legitimacy of his induction service…its childish and embarassing…not to mention hypocritical when the same people who scower articles for something to use against mcnabb have the sack to say that HE holds the grudge and hes obsessed…Look in the fuckin mirrors you assholes.