Marcus Hayes Proved What a Colossal Idiot He is in a Twitter Brawl Last Night

Kyle Scott - August 22, 2013

Screen Shot 2013-08-22 at 10.53.45 AM
Marcus Hayes, who doesn’t know how to use Twitter, started shouting into the wind about Ichiro last night. Hayes’ colleague at the Daily News, Ryan Lawrence, took the bait. What followed was a knock-down, drag-out, two-hour Twitter brawl in which Hayes accused Ken Griffey Jr. of using steroids, acknowledged that Chase Utley could’ve too, and argued that Jimmy Rollins is better than Utley.

Lawrence schooled Hayes, whose Utley-hating, racist tendencies reared their ugly head, again. Hayes also displayed his hatred for stats and logic.

Do step over the jump with me. To the Storify machine!

In some cases Tweets are out of order since there were several streams of (barely-)consciousness going on.

If you are having trouble with the “read next page” button, you can view an image of the conversation here. You may need to zoom.

• FACE August 22, 2013 at 11:09 am

Marcus Hayes should be fired. He’s supposed to be a sports reporter and he’s arguing that Ichiro is better then Ken Griffey Jr.?

The mere fact that he is paid to give his opinion is a crime. He makes Skip Bayless look like a genius…and Skip Bayless tweeted last week that the Seattle Seahawks had a chance to unseat the Patriots as the #2 team in the AFC.

FACE

• FACE August 22, 2013 at 11:20 am

Also, Ken Griffey baseball for SNES was the TITS!!!! Great game man. That brings back memories…

Reading through this just makes me furious…it should be funny but it’s not. How does someone so uninformed, off base and downright dumb get to where he is now when so many people who actually have half a clue do not? What the fuck is the logic in THAT guy getting paid for his opinion? That’s fucked six ways to Sunday.

FACE

• Pat August 22, 2013 at 11:23 am

It…Just…Keeps…..Going….

• Hank-SJ August 22, 2013 at 11:35 am

I guess this knocks Marcus out of contention for being chosen as a member of the 21st century version of the Algonquin Round Table?

• Dan August 22, 2013 at 11:35 am

There’s a reason Ryan Lawrence has 11K followers and Hayes has 300.

• Doug August 22, 2013 at 11:42 am

Man, it’s guys like this and Howard Eskin that make me hate sports media. It’s like arguing with a toddler, he won’t know he is wrong until you put him in the corner- or fire him, in Hayes’ case.

• ThePhillyFlash August 22, 2013 at 11:46 am

So, there’s 300 brain dead morons out there who waste their time following Bill Conlin lite? As sports reporters/columnists go, Hayes is THE biggest racist douche of the last decade, maybe longer. I’m glad Ryan Lawrence took Hayes’ ever expanding ass to school.

• BD August 22, 2013 at 11:50 am

Worse part of that twitter tickle fight was seeing Hayes’ handle.

• MM August 22, 2013 at 11:52 am

These two fucks, Up at 1:30 on a Thursday alone tweeting about a japanese man, how sad…#nopussy

• Big Balls Chip August 22, 2013 at 12:41 pm

HAHAHA

• Phillyak August 22, 2013 at 5:51 pm

LMAO!!!!!!!

• Junkhead August 22, 2013 at 11:55 am

If it ever comes out that Ken Griffey, Jr. did PEDs I’m done with baseball forever. Psychologically I wouldn’t be able to handle it.

And by the way, although I agree that Ichiro is great, but Griffey was greater, apparently, Ichiro is one of the most prolific batting practice home run derby hitters ever to play. He would consistently kick Griffey’s ass in home run hitting contests when they were is Seattle. I would have loved to see Ichiro at an all-star game home run contest.

• Tyler August 22, 2013 at 11:59 am

I’ve had numerous email battles with Marcus. Hayes is a racist hater.

• Marcus Hayes, A Living Joke August 22, 2013 at 12:01 pm

The day Barkann made him look like a complete pussy bitch on live television is in my top 5 sports viewing memories. I seriously thought he was going to cry.

Kyle please dig that clip up dude. The anniversary of that moment needs to be a yearly CB celebration.

• Big Balls Chip August 22, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I remember this. And it was fucking gold. Actual Marcus Hayes quote to Michael Barkann- “Tell me what I need to know, dad.” Kyle, dig it up. Crossing Broad needs to see this.

• Big Balls Chip August 22, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Couldn’t find the video but Daily News Live Wikipedia page says it was on November 18, 2005.

• Hayes is a douchecanoe August 22, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Jr should sue Hayes for libel.

• Mike Misanelli The Messiah August 22, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Man, Marcus Hayes makes me look like I have a PhD in astrophysics…

That said, he’s allowed to be racist because he’s black. If you don’t like it, that means you’re anti-progress, close-minded, and racist yourself. If you don’t wanna talk about it, that means you’re a coward, skippy.

• HayesGayes August 22, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Leave it to racists to always believe it is always about race. Racism is still alive because fucking assholes like him won’t let it die….if something doesn’t go his way, it must be racism ::rolls eyes:: what a fucking asshole creep-bitch.

Marcus Hayes is a transgender Oprah.

• zfromtheoc August 22, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Besides being handicapped and black, what qualifications does Marcus have to maintain his position as a sports writer?

• MJl_52 August 22, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Ken Griffey Jr., baseball was one of the finest video game of all time. Marcus Hayes is a moron who should just walk into on coming traffic during rush hour.

• Bob Geldoff August 22, 2013 at 3:25 pm

That was OUTSTANDING!!!

• Abe Lincoln August 22, 2013 at 3:31 pm

I cant believe I read that whole exchange… I feel dumber because of it…Excuse me while I put another bullet hole in my cranium….Ken Griffey Baseball was the shit by the way.

• Bill August 22, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Good for Lawrence..destroyed Marcus. I do think there is something there between Utley and Marcus. He hates Utley for some reason.

• Matt August 24, 2013 at 9:52 pm

This is simultaneously hilarious and rage inducing