Riley Cooper is Stepping Away from the Eagles as He Seeks Counseling

The Eagles and Riley Cooper just released – extremely carefully worded – statements. Eagles:

As we have said, Riley Cooper will be seeking counseling and we have excused him from all team activities. This is all new territory and we are going to evaluate this timetable every step of the way. He will meet with professionals provided by the Eagles during this period of time to better help him understand how his words have hurt so many, including his teammates.

Riley Cooper:

The last few days have been incredibly difficult for me. My actions were inexcusable. The more I think about what I did, the more disgusted I get. I keep trying to figure out how I could have said something so repulsive, and what I can do to make things better.

Right now, I think it’s important for me to take some time to reflect on this situation. The organization and my teammates have been extremely supportive, but I also realize that there are people who will have a tough time forgiving me for what I’ve done. The best thing for me, and for the team, is to step away for a period of time.

During this time I’m going to be speaking with a variety of professionals to help me better understand how I could have done something that was so offensive, and how I can start the healing process for everyone. As long as it takes, and whatever I have to do, I’m going to try to make this right.

Not a suspension. Not a leave. But counseling.

• Hey August 2, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Chip, just cut him. He sucks anyway and we have zero expectations for you this season.

• Port Richmond August 2, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Counseling? For what?

• Murph From The Stands August 2, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Tom sorry to interrupt while you’re once again describing how long you’ve been around this organization, but I’ve just received breaking news from former Phillies first round pick Reggie Taylor that his close friend Marcus Vick has officially deleted his Twitter page. That’s right, Wheels, if you go to @MVFive right now you’ll see that it’s gone, much like your anal virginity. Sarge when I asked Reggie Taylor his opinion of Marcus Vick placing a bounty on the head of Riley Cooper, he replied “I will suck your dick right here right now for $20. I haven’t eaten in four days.” Back to you, guys.

• MPH August 2, 2013 at 12:45 pm

MOTHERFUCKER you are the most unfunny person who comments on this site. No one wants to read your idiocy. Just stop, for fuck’s sake.

• MPH is a douche August 2, 2013 at 12:55 pm

I think he’s pretty funny. you fucking clown

• I 2nd that MVP is a douche August 2, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Love Murph from the Stands

• Punt Cuncher August 3, 2013 at 2:20 am

LOL fucking Reggie Taylor I havn’t hthought about him in yearsss. Omg are we heading back to those bleak times. Fuck you MPH. Murph you just made my fucking night.

• BeezNutz August 2, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Dude what the fuck is wrong with this cuntry.

Either cut the guy or keep the guy and try to move on. God damn this cuntry is fuckin lame as shit anymore.

NO LOVE,

Beez Nutz

• SMH at Crossingbroad Posters August 2, 2013 at 12:34 pm

He will be cut

• Junkhead August 2, 2013 at 12:34 pm

It looks like this is the precursor to Cooper being cut.
    He was fined, and he apologized, and now he is facing the wrath of his teammates, and it seems to me that is punishment enough.
    I don’t like to see anyone lose their job, and I’m willing to bet no other team in the league would be willing to go near him.

• Big Balls Chip August 2, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Counseling lolzzzz. Counseling= Buy some time to make a desicion.

• K August 2, 2013 at 12:41 pm

you’ve ruined this guy’s career and life. he didn’t help, but you solidified it.

• CJ August 2, 2013 at 12:47 pm

I certainly don’t approve of what he said by any means, but how come this guy’s career is in jeopardy over it, and Shady gets a free pass for all of his shitty behavior? And that fucking hypocrite is the first one to say he can’t respect Cooper anymore.

• niggas be like August 2, 2013 at 12:49 pm

yooooooooo, dis nigga draw-lin.

• Rich August 2, 2013 at 12:53 pm

This is the most publicity Cooper will ever get..

• Candy from the Oak August 2, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Kyle, can you start a poll on how cooper is going to kill himself I’m calling jerking off on a highway

• Treat from the Pine August 2, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Good one. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

• Bastardo's Giant Quads August 2, 2013 at 12:57 pm

You’ve got to be shitting me? COUNSELING?? So he can understand he hurt peoples feelings?

When will people learn you don’t have the right to not get your feelings hurt? It’s literally no where in the constitution. We’re allowed to make each other feel shitty.

We’re fucking doomed as a country. Bunch of fuckin pussies.

• Poo August 2, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Did the Eagles make Desean Jackson take a leave of absence for counseling when he made his anti-homosexual comments a few years back? I’d just like to see some consistency.

• Whoops August 2, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Kinda strange that McCoy didn’t have to “step away for counseling” after verbally/physically assaulting a woman on a party bus. Then having her drug off the bus and left on the side of 95.

• eagles22 August 2, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Kyle, I’ll give you $120 to give me the name of the kid that sold you this video. I’d love nothing more than to see this loser and thank him for dividing the locker room for $100 then bitch slap him.

And you. You’re a fake fan, man. Should have bought the video for $100 and just held onto it. It’s $100 for you to pretty much ruin a guy’s life and get the Chip Kelly era started on the worst foot possible. Oops what do you care? #pageviews

• roger the emperor August 2, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Meanwhile the NFL gives all Redskins a big middle finger…

• Bastardo's Giant Quads August 2, 2013 at 12:59 pm

And Kyle, you should feel a little shitty about this.

I mean i don’t have a blog that I need to drive traffic too, and I’m sure it’s done well for you, but I don’t know if I could have put that up knowing what would happen to the dude. I actually feel kind of bad for the guy.

• Bastardo's Giant Quads August 2, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Ok, I just watched the video. I guess someone would have put it out there if you didn’t. I get that. I still feel kinda bad for him.

• James August 2, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Wow just wow. Is this guys career really ruined because of all this? Not that I’m a big Riley Cooper guy or really think he is that good but I mean seriously enough is enough. I mean this guy is taking a leave (i’m sure a forced one) because he got all drunk at a concert and used a racial slur. This is becoming beyond ridiculous.

• Courtney August 2, 2013 at 1:14 pm

This is beyond ridiculous for who? Comments about hating this country….move! No one is forcing you to stay. RACE is still a big deal in the great US of A no matter what anyone says.

• James August 2, 2013 at 8:15 pm

All of this angst and reaction to this is what is beyond ridiculous. The fact that this guys career may be over because of this is ridiculous. All this self righteous bullshit being spewed by anyone who was offended by this is ridiculous. I never said anything about hating this country nor am I a racist or condone what Riley Cooper said but the guy made a drunken mistake and apologized for it. Time to let it go and move on. No one would even know this happened if it wasn’t for some nerd at a concert who was video taping instead of actually paying attention to the concert they paid to attend. Do you really think none of his teammates white or black have never used a racial slur before or said something that is offensive to another race? I mean you have to be kidding me. That is why this whole thing is ridiculous.

• Maxie August 2, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Maybe counseling is code for rehab. I think he has a drinking problem.

• Rich August 2, 2013 at 1:24 pm

When did Philadelphia sports become involved with national politics? It’s like saying ‘Amaro can’t make a smart decision so the country is going down’ fucking idiots on here

• Chutley August 2, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Pussification of America at it’s finest. Dude said some shit he shouldnt have.. let them take his head off in practice if they’re upset about it not bitch & moan to media… dumbest shit i have ever seen fuck this country

• Keepin' it Real August 2, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Sick of all the losers on here hating on Kyle for posting the video. Deadspin offered like $20 for the video, and Kyle offered $100. Therefore, if Kyle didn’t post it, someone else (likely Deadspin or a similar website) would’ve posted it anyway. Get off your high horses, Cooper is a dumbass and he deserves the bad publicity for being stupid enough to drop the N bomb in a PUBLIC setting like he did. I have zero sympathy for the guy, and whoever else doesn’t needs to get their head checked. If this happened to any normal person and word got out, they would’ve been FIRED by now, he’s lucky he still even has a job right now.

• Joe Mama August 2, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Great job adding your own insight of 3 three word sentences. Don’t know why I bothered already reading this on the inky.

• Too Fly....I'm a White Guy August 2, 2013 at 2:38 pm

This is a joke. The NFL needs to council all the drunks in the league not waste time on a grown man saying what he felt in the heat of the moment. Why is it Roddy White can wish people kill themselves and gets no trouble but you say the N word and it is taboo. what a joke of a society we live in…..

• ThePhillyFlash August 2, 2013 at 2:52 pm

It’s amazing, all this angst over a little used scrub who would’ve been no better than fourth on the receiver depth chart of Jeremy Maclin hadn’t gotten hurt. I say Cooper should be axed, not because of what he said, but the fact this team, with a new head coach who’s starting a rebuilding process doesn’t need this sort of headache. And yeah, I agree with Maxie, I think Cooper has been shuffled off to a drunk tank.

• Asuka August 3, 2013 at 10:13 am

So he said a word while off the clock and you assholes want him to lose his job? FOR SAYING A WORD. You are brainwashed sheeple incapable of independent thought who parrot what the mainstream media tells you.