Go Get IOS 7

I’ve had it for about three months now. We’re finally building an IOS app (really)– so I used the developer account to download the beta on my iPhone in June. And despite a rocky start, the update is fantastic.

A lot of people will tell you that it’s just a new coat of paint, and in many ways, it is. But it’s much more than that. You’ll also hear that it’s flat. And while that’s true from a purely design aesthetic, in practice that’s not the case at all. As is often pointed out by John Gruber of Daring Fireball (a Philly guy who roots for the Yankees– but we won’t hold it against him), IOS 7 is anything but flat. It’s full of layers: There’s your background. Your home (and lock) screens sit on top of that. Multitasking windows and folders zoom from there. And finally, you have your notifications and control panel, which can be swiped down and up from the top and bottom of the screen, respectively. So while it looks flat, the operating system is actually a series of layers, giving you a sense of context at all times. Jony Ive* isn’t blowing smoke when he says that.

Apps zoom in and out intuitively. Folders zoom in logically to show their apps. And the parallax effect of the home screen does, indeed, give you a sense of depth– all of it done without phony shadows or lighting.

Now I’ll be honest, the first two betas were awful. Barely worked. Nearly bricked my 4S. But since the third beta and onward (I think they made it up to six or seven), it’s worked fine. There have been some minor, yet important, tweaks throughout that process: the swipe-to-unlock button is no longer confusing (yes, that was actually a thing), fonts are just a bit thicker and more readable, the phone controls have changed slightly, and there have been other minor interface tweaks. But it’s basically what you see in the video. And it works great.

Screen Shot 2013-09-18 at 3.40.17 PM

You’ll find most of the layout is familiar enough. Everything is where you would expect it to be, only there are no longer “buttons.” Instead, most interface elements are text or wireframes. Those might take some time to get used to since, for example, the share button now looks like a box with an arrow and it doesn’t make any sense. But most everything else does, and it all looks lighter, feels smoother and smells cleaner. There are lots more swipe gestures, too. You’ll have to learn those.

Overall, it’s not that different from a usability standpoint and it shouldn’t take you long to get used to. But there’s a lot going on with the depth and general design that turns what was previously a static experience into a dynamic, fluid and logical one.

According to my Google analytics, about 80% of you use IOS. So most of your experiiii are going to change. But trust me, it’s for the better. Go get it– your update is available.

*I could listen to Jony Ive read the epilepsy warning on a video game package and find it enjoyable. “Yeah, you know what– you’re right, Jony. I will turn GTA V off when I start seeing random colored spots.”

Screen Shot 2013-09-18 at 3.37.57 PM

• Vic Vinegar September 18, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I downloaded the update but am having difficulty installing. I get a pop up saying “verifying update” then it says “Software update is not available at this time. Try again later”, any advice?

• Kyle Scott September 18, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Keep trying. I got that a couple times on my iPad. Went through after a few tries.

• Vic Vinegar September 18, 2013 at 4:30 pm

I tried at least a dozen times and no luck. I am guessing it has something to do with the entire universe trying to download it at the same time since every kid starting at age 10 probably has a fucking iPhone now.

• Captain Kangaroo September 18, 2013 at 8:16 pm

actually last estimates put Iphone at having just shy of 13% of the smartphone market. Now android on the other hand…they have 80% of the market…have fun with the frosted windows…ill enjoy my android phone that when they release a major update…they ya know…do some major changes to it..not just rip off other OSs

• Vic Vinegar September 18, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Wow. Literally tried another half dozen times and it went through. I guess my advice for anyone experiencing the problem I was, just keep trying and it will budge. Took a good 45 minutes, though hah.

• Hugh Honey September 18, 2013 at 4:12 pm

so slow

• Pope Francis September 18, 2013 at 4:16 pm

mine went all the way through the download and then got the unavailable message. Bunch of crap!

• Steve Jobs September 18, 2013 at 4:23 pm

I’m dead

• chris September 18, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Thanks for the advertorial!

• Zombie Steve Jobs September 18, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Kyle Scott: Apple geek who can’t manage to type iOS properly.

• Adam B September 18, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I like how he uses a screen cap showing he has 5K in unread e-mails. You can fool us Kyle. Having your e-mail notification show how many SPAM e-mails doesn’t make you look important.

• Captain Obvious September 18, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Yep, this sure is “Philly’s most irreverent sports blog”. Geeks.

• EHopkins September 18, 2013 at 5:38 pm

• Apple the new second best September 19, 2013 at 9:10 am

It makes me excited to know that apple is now second best and they have to copy off android. IOS 7 is a knockoff of Jelly bean with the control panel swipe. Switched to the nexus 4 8 months ago and am happy I did Ill never go back to the Iphone.

• Stewie September 19, 2013 at 11:50 am

As a graphic designer I want to stab whoever created that Safari app icon. That alone will prevent me from upgrading my phone to iOS Dora The Explorer.

• Derek September 19, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Anytime someone has anything nice to say about an iPhone it sure brings out the android trolls. Go back to ur rip off os trolls!

• Larry Andersen September 19, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Kyle – will there be an adroid app for CB also? hoping so! I left my iphone at a hipster party in fishtown. it’s simplicity and inability to customize is for idiots and people who want an apple bumper sticker.