The Eagles Will Sign Brad Smith

Voila_Capture512
And thus spells the end of Damaris Johnson and his insistence on finding return lanes that don’t exist.

Smith, who was a quarterback in college, will give the Eagles an added weapon on offense, and perhaps more importantly, another option in the kick return game. He might even make sense in some option plays, too. Good move.

Why do I get the sense the Eagles smell blood? They’re improving, tied for first, and suddenly look like, maybe, a top-five team in the conference. Their defense is getting better and Nick Foles appears to be much more reliable than Michael Vick. Am I delusional, or might they be able to contend for something this year?

• Troll Hamels November 12, 2013 at 10:22 am

I think that depends on your definition of “something.”

Division, absolutely. Wildcard, no chance. Super Bowl, unlikely.

I like this signing though. If for no other reason than we can stop watching Damaris run directly into the crowd and get swallowed alive.

• Catch a damned pass November 12, 2013 at 10:27 am

They would have been massacred with Rodgers, I don’t think that they’ve beaten a real team yet, have they?

But I’m all about it anyway, Go Birds, I can actually watch with that scumbag 7 not playing!

Go Foles, you look like a more retarded version of me!

• CS November 12, 2013 at 10:33 am

The one positive is that this team can win on the road.

• Gray November 12, 2013 at 10:34 am

Top 5 team in the conference? lolwut?

Seattle
    New Orleans
    Detroit
    San Francisco
    Carolina

They are better than none of those teams. And they have yet to beat Dallas.

• Bob Geldoff November 12, 2013 at 10:39 am

They’re better than SF. SF played over their heads last year and regressed this year from the team they really are. Kaepernick has a 5cent head.

• T-Bone November 12, 2013 at 10:41 am

Carolina has glaring weaknesses, just look at the losses against Buffalo and Arizona. Vegas would probably call a game between Philly and Carolina a pick.

• The Philly Drunk November 12, 2013 at 10:46 am

LET’S SEE

Seattle – the team that almost got beat by the bucs AT HOME?
      New Orleans – favorite to win it all, no argument there
      Detroit – they have played inconsistent, I like that team, but they are FAR from unbeatable
      San Francisco – great defense – bad offense
      Carolina – still unimpressed with this team.

• Slammin Gretzky's Daughter November 12, 2013 at 11:19 am

Dude the Seahawks are 9-1 with an awesome defense, great and they’re about to get Percy Harvin for the first time this year. You’re gonna act like they’re beatable because they “almost got beat by the Bucs?” That’s one bad game. And they didn’t even lose.

• Slammin Gretzky's Daughter November 12, 2013 at 11:20 am

*awesome defense, great RB

• T-Bone November 12, 2013 at 10:35 am

You’re not delusional, 9 wins will win the East, look at the remaining teams on the schedule with some conservative predictions:
    – Redskins – Win (6-5)
    – Cardinals – Win (7-5)
    – Lions – Loss, we can’t stop Megatron (7-6)
    – Vikings – Win (8-6)
    – The last 2 games are Bears and Cowbows. Both games are toss ups but a win in either gives you the magical 9 wins. But the game against the Cowboys is going to be critical.

I’m all in again.

• Jon Kruk's Other Nut November 12, 2013 at 10:37 am

This team isn’t winning a playoff game. The problem with playoff games is that they’re all against playoff teams.

But winning the division will be a nice feather in Chip’s cap. It’s not the NBA, they’re not going to set their franchise back 5 years by dropping 4 or 5 slots in the draft. Go Birds!

• SH November 12, 2013 at 10:57 am

I, like most people I think, am waiting to see what happens when they go up against a quality QB again. I really feel like their record is an accurate assessment of where this team is right now. Their offense is great but the D is still suspect.

• Pat November 12, 2013 at 10:59 am

The only game I call an outright loss from here on out is the Lions game. The rest are VERY winnable. The Cowboys look much different – not in a good way – than they did two weeks ago.

• AL Tru November 12, 2013 at 11:07 am

Foles is the love child of Joe Montana and Napoleon Dynamite. There’s so much parity in the league now, everybody is beatable.

• Lumpy7 November 12, 2013 at 11:17 am

This signing is designed to appear exactly ambitious enough to mail out “playoff-potential” invoices in 2 weeks.

• Hop Devil November 12, 2013 at 11:52 am

We need to WIN A HOME GAME BEFORE WE CAN CONTEND FOR ANYTHING!!!!!

• Andy Schreiber November 12, 2013 at 11:53 am

Just get to the playoffs. You never know what could happen.

I’m thinking that we are, in fact, going to win our division. It’s a crappy division this season, but whatever. I’ll take it.

• MMMMMWaffles November 12, 2013 at 12:02 pm

You’re crazy. They could contend to win the division, but that’s like winning tallest midget at the circus.

• FACE November 12, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I’ll call it like this:

Seattle and New Orleans get a bye

Eagles and Lions host playoff games against Carolina and San Fran, and they both win, setting up Eagles New Orleans and Detroit in Seattle. Detroit upends the Seahawks on the road, we lose a tough game to the Saints, setting up Detroit vs. New Orleans in the NFC title game. Detroit wins a shootout. Lions lose to the Broncos in the SB.

FACE

• FACE November 12, 2013 at 12:08 pm

And just to clarify, I think the Saints end up with the 1 seed, not the Seahawks who currently would have it if the season ended today.

FACE

• Gray November 12, 2013 at 2:26 pm

The Eagles would not beat Carolina. The Panthers Defense is one of the top 3 in the league.

Look at the Eagles wins this year – 3 of them were against WINLESS teams. The other 2? Green Bay (Minus on of the best QBs in the league) and Oakland.

This is why Eagles fans are the worst, they win 2 games in a row and they are talking “EAGLEZ ARE SO GUD!” – come on man.

• FACE November 12, 2013 at 4:21 pm

1. The Panthers are overrated, even with their good defense.
        2. There are no winless teams
        3. Who the fuck is speaking in broken English here? “EAGLEZ ARE SO GUD!”…What?

You act as though the prediction is so far fetched…I have them upsetting a WC team after winning the worst division in football, then they get smoked by the Saints…It’s not like I’m sitting here saying they’re going to win the SB. I’d call this prediction their ceiling.

4. Why the fuck did you click the link if you’re not an Eagles fan? Fuck off son.

FACE

• MM November 12, 2013 at 12:22 pm

i think you have to wait a couple weeks to get that crazy K-man. AL TRU is right though, there’s so much parity an injury here or there at the right time and you never know. Let’s get to the Cards game and see.

• Chutley November 12, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I think we will lose every game on the schedule when it is leaked to the press that CB commenters are bullying the entire Eagles squad. Kyle will release a statement, as the owner of CB, that he is appalled at our actions. We will all have to wear an oxford button down to the next tailgate and explain our side of the story. Then the Jeremy Roenick voicemail will surface which shows we are bullies across all 4 sports.

• AL Tru November 12, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Stu Bykofsky “advised” me not to leak the ” We knew from day one what a lousy playcaller Reid was” email. I think i’m showing tremendous restraint in not doing so.
    I think the Chiefs 9-0 record is more the players effort and not Reid the coach.
    Foles gets the ball out quicker and sees the field better, and puts touch on the ball and hits the receiver in stride.

Something Vick and McNabb had trouble with. They were more athletic, mobile etc.

• DS November 12, 2013 at 10:23 pm

SURGING TEAM.

Well, I guess beating four shit teams and a Green Bay team with a third string quarterback will do that.

SURGING TEAM. Hilarious. The team still blows.