There is a Ridiculous Article Shredding Michael Vick in The New York Times Today

Kyle Scott - January 6, 2014

Voila_Capture929

But nope. Not in the New York Times. Juliet Macur with an absolutely brutal, uncalled for, piece on Vick, the Eagles and sports in general. An excerpt:

Teams evaluating Vick should think about those horrors before offering him a chance to wear their jersey. They should say, “Can’t we give our fans someone better to cheer for?” Fans should demand someone better.

The Eagles didn’t. Instead of passing on Vick when he was released from prison and perhaps forcing him to play in the Canadian league or having him work his way back up, the Eagles immediately chose to reward him with a two-year contract, paying him $1.6 million the first year, then $5.2 million. By 2011, he had a six-year, $100 million contract.

The cast of characters in Saturday’s game was a reminder of just how generous the league is with its ridiculous offers of second chances, like Vick’s.

Eagles wide receiver Riley Cooper made racist remarks about African-Americans — on a team filled with African-Americans — and still ended up starting in the playoffs, the recipient of roaring cheers.

Saints Coach Sean Payton was suspended last year for a bounty program in which players were paid to inflict serious injuries on their opponents, and still he was hailed for ushering the Saints to their first ever road playoff win.

I can say, almost unequivocally, that this person hates sports and, possibly, men. None of these actions – not Vick’s, not Cooper’s, not Payton’s – should be celebrated. But, there was almost no reason, no trigger, to bring them up. Macur simply used Vick’s free agency to rail on him and people and things barely related to him. She also went into great detail on the unspeakable crimes he admitted to. It’s hard to read, and made me, someone who doesn’t squirm at much, a little bit queasy.

Vick told me on Saturday that he had grown up since serving time in prison and had done a lot to redeem himself in the eyes of the public.

“I’ve changed in so many ways, so many — why don’t you write that?” he told me as he walked off from his locker, leaving behind a few shirts, cocoa butter lotion, a bottle of baby oil and green shower shoes.

I’m still searching for the reason why this was written, now.

• AL Tru January 6, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Before joining the Times in 2004, Ms. Macur worked as a project reporter for the Dallas Morning News, where she had the unenviable job of spending one entire season writing exclusively about then Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcells. Before that, she covered the Jacksonville Jaguars, the Olympics and motorsports for the Orlando Sentinel.

• AL Tru January 6, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Ms. Macur’s work has received honors from the National Press Club, the Associated Press Sports Editors, the Society of Professional Journalists and the New York Press Club. Her work has twice been anthologized in the Best American Sports Writing series.

• Lee Muthafuckin' Hazelwood January 6, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Or, as Kyle says, she hates sports.

• nick papagiorgio January 6, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Looks like Mike Vick had an unexpected dog day afternoon.

• Clarkie Hughes January 6, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Just give up papahomo your comments blow

• Clarkie Hughes January 6, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Tough words from a loser who can’t make up his own handle.

• nick pappagiorgio January 6, 2014 at 5:33 pm

You can’t handle my handle!

• Clarkie Hughes January 6, 2014 at 5:41 pm

My handle is so cool cause the ugly lady from wip is my mom so that makes my handle hilarious. Maybe you can learn something from me nick, see that’s how you make a good handle.

• Little Clarkie January 6, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Mommy there’s some woman on here pretending to be me.

• clarkie January 6, 2014 at 6:53 pm

My handle is the shit…cause I say so…so there…see what I did was i took the kids name and put it in front of that lady’s last name….see how I did that…

• PHLSportsGirl January 6, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Good find Kyle! Trust me, what Vick did in his past is beyond disgusting and horrible. This coming from a dog owner. HOWEVER, he has served his time AND has done nothing but changed his ways for the better. Since he’s arrived here with the Eagles, he’s been nice, low key, private, and a great team mate. Goes to show, people can change and from what I see, he has. This person at the New York Times has NO CLUE

• Lee Muthafuckin' Hazelwood January 6, 2014 at 3:41 pm

See also: not Paterno’s fault.

• Shot by Cupid January 6, 2014 at 3:48 pm

I love you PHL SportsGirl!

• Lyle Chipperson January 7, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Yeah, she’s some uniformed bitch up in NY who honestly thinks the general public will agree with her. So, she wants to criticize Vick, cooper and sean payton? Really steppin out on a limb there, aren’t ya hun? Asinine reporting like this absolutely infuriates me.

• nick papagiorgio January 6, 2014 at 3:43 pm

I think he is a great guy and people just hate him cause he’s black

• Informed January 6, 2014 at 3:44 pm

That’s cause blacks are inferior!

• Scott's Tots January 6, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Why is your logo on the picture of Mike Vick, Kyle?

• Kyle Scott January 6, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Because it was our picture.

• nick pappagiorgio January 6, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Keep up the good work Kyle don’t let the haters and idiots like “Informed” bother you that guys a moron

• Matt January 6, 2014 at 3:48 pm

It should be up to the fans on how they want to cheer for him. I met one eagles fan who, along with her friends, simply won’t cheer when Vick makes a big play. They respect he’s on the team, but they don’t have to vocalize any support for him if they don’t want to. There will be those, like myself, who do think he’s paid his time and can cheer for him, like many in the Philadelphia region have done. If the city with the “worst” fans can handle this maturely enough, I’m pretty sure other cities will as well.

• Chickie January 6, 2014 at 3:50 pm

I really wish people would give it a rest. How about someone go dig a skeleton out of her closet and then rag on her for the next ten years about it?

• AL Tru January 6, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Jan 19th 2013
    JJ Abrams has reportedly bought the screen rights to a future biography of Lance Armstrong. … The author is to be New York Times sports reporter Juliet Macur,

• AL Tru January 6, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Macur got married in 2010 and kept her maiden name = Man hater

• Ex Eagles Fan January 6, 2014 at 3:55 pm

I agree with the article. Who the fuck wants to cheer for someone who did shit like that. It makes my stomach turn till this day. Doesn’t matter how long ago it happened, it happened. The Eagles organization gave a big fuck you to fans when they signed him, all for the almighty dollar, hidden under the guise of second chances.

• Your Mother January 6, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Only punks turncoat on their teams.

• Clarkie Hughes January 6, 2014 at 4:52 pm

You are a hero . I couldn’t agree more. Fuck the Eagles and their fan base for accepting that piece of shit.

• nick pappagiorgio January 6, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Hey you’re being too harsh on the guy he did his time leave him alone he has fully redeemed himself you racist asshole

• Julie January 6, 2014 at 3:55 pm

I would rather have “rehabbed” dog killer than a free rapist…

• Your Mother January 6, 2014 at 3:59 pm

I bet the Author loves to eat chicken and pork that were killed in much the same way Vick’s dogs were. Nom noms…

Seriously though, I know there are standards for livestock slaughter but if you eat it, you’ve definitely eaten meat not killed humanely at least once.

• DS January 6, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Vick paid his debt to society so I have no problem with him getting a second chance. However, I don’t need to be happy that it wa smy city who gave him that chance. Also, Vick was an obnoxious self absorbed jerk before going to jail, I don’t see how that changed. Also, Vick was an over-rated gimmick player who won a total of two (!) playoff games his entire career and that certainly didn’t change after his stint in jail.

And as far as I can tell he never had to pay his debt for his “Ron Mexico” antics which I find way more insulting and disturbing than his dog-fighting activites, (although those were pretty damn awful and disgusting as well).

Can’t wait until Vick’s gone. One of the reasons I can’t stand Kelly is he kept Vick around here another year. The fact that until week 11 Kelly still insisted Vick was the better QB than Foles should disturb a lot of people who are buying into “Chip Kelly is a Genius” hype.

• FREE KWAME!!! January 6, 2014 at 4:06 pm

It’s not like he put dogs in the deep fryers like I have at my work

• Informed January 6, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Michael vick is just another black thug punk who should be thrown out of the nfl along with the rest of them. It would be so much better if we had an all white league, I mean just look at what they did to the nba

• Riley Cooper January 6, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Preach on brother, preach on…

• nick pappagiorgio January 6, 2014 at 5:35 pm

You’re a total racist man you should be banned

• The Philly Drunk January 6, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Fuck Michael Vick – hopefully he’s no longer an Eagle.

• Hezman January 6, 2014 at 4:49 pm

What time do the eagles play next week?

• slum York January 6, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Its New York.
    Don’t they worship puffy?

• Bill H. January 6, 2014 at 9:59 pm

It’s an easy piece, hardly any work involved, just cue the outrage – and Kyle, you’re right, it doesn’t seem to have any purpose, because she’s not bringing anything new to the story. She didn’t even make a token effort to actually probe what Vick has done since prison – good or bad – much less consider what his history in Philly might mean for any team that might want to hire him. There’s a real story there, and a good column, but she didn’t get it.

• joe jones January 7, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Why does her article bother you Kyle?? she is entitled to write whatever she wants. Her main point is that fans deserve more and there are no ethics in sports.

does anyone not agree to that???

Were any of us excited to get michael vick on our team straight from prison. NO.

Her point is you should want players you can be proud of and don’t forget how terrible it was what he did. nothing wrong with what she wrote.

I agree with your opening remarks “I don’t particularly like Michael Vick, and certainly can’t stomach what he did some time ago, but I think that, at this point, besides the occasional joke and pun, we really need to move on from flogging him for actions for which he’s paid.”

but i also agree and support her article bigitme. there are no ethics in sports and talent will get you paid no matter what you do off the field.

• Lyle Chipperson January 7, 2014 at 9:28 pm

I imagine she mentioned cocoa butter, because after a long night of enjoying the company of several black stallions, her breath, hands, and butthole all reek of cocoa butter.

• Lyle Chipperson January 7, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Oh yeah, tssss. Or sumptin.

• michael January 10, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Criminals always want everybody to get over it and move on. In Vick’s case I think he has indeed evolved into a decent person. It didn’t happen overnight. He was still a bad person well into his (post-prison) Eagles career. They lied for him and covered for him but he somehow pulled himself into the real world. Credit Andy Reid. Superman is dead. I hope Vick keeps on growing up and wins some big games for somebody. I mainly hope he remains a credit to his community and his children. We don’t need any hero worship school visits from reformed criminals like M.V. just be a decent man.

• Sasha January 13, 2014 at 11:50 pm

Actually, Vick NEVER paid for what he did to the dogs. Instead, his political cronies got him only for gambling. This isn’t about flogging him or being stuck in the past. This is about being ever alert to who this man really is. He never showed remorse for what he did … the horrors… the absolute horrors that he did with his own bare hands …. that he chose to commit. Michael Vick is a permanent scar in the consciousness of humankind. No one can do what he did to animals at will, by choice, having concocted the cruelest tortures that were performed on these dogs and think for one minute that he paid his time. His actions on the equivalent of what humans would be charged for in war crimes. The difference here is that there was no war. There was only a guy and his pals who got off on torturing innocent living beings… dogs. Shame on all of you for missing the message of those who keep Vick front center stage for the murderer that he was. God only knows the condition of his current dogs.

• Sasha January 14, 2014 at 1:36 am

Uncalled for article written by the journalist of the New York Times? Silly boy, Kyle. What naive part of the universe do you live in?

• Crazy white people January 15, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Yall are some crazy ass white people who gives a fuck about those dogs Yall are some sick crazy white folks. You will kill a man and in the same breath will say those poor dogs Fuck them dogs

• stonesourlemon March 28, 2014 at 12:02 pm

And you are a stupid black asshole.

• stonesourlemon March 28, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Last I checked the felonies and misdemeanors he committed added up to 96 years in prison. He served almost no time, mostly house arrest, and has no remorse. And dog owners on his side are you serious? A second chance is something you get for a speeding ticket. Not wholesale torture and murder. Fuck Michael Vick, and fuck the moron that wrote this article.

• Dogs 4 Life November 6, 2014 at 2:42 am

Michael Vick is a piece of garbage and needs to be thrown back in jail for his crimes not given another chance with the Jets. I suggest you all read the court docs again. He executed several dogs himself via drowning and hanging, refused to fully cooperate with the police and had no remorse. If I have said it once I’ve said it 100 times FUCK Michael Vick!