Chris Wheeler Finally Talks About Getting Fired

Kyle Scott - February 14, 2014

First time in a while I wanted to hear Wheels talk. He addressed his firing while speaking to Jon Marks and Sean Brace on 97.5 today:

“They did what they felt they wanted to do and that they had to do. I have no idea how their search process went on and I wish Jamie and Matt Stairs the best. They’re two guys I know very, very well. Do I want to still be doing the games? Yeah. Will it hurt? Sure. But, you know what, I’m gonna be 69-years old this year and everybody says it’s about time to go enjoy yourself and have a summer off. I, of course, don’t look at it that way and maybe I will in time but right now it still hurts.”

“It’s kind of weird getting fired by Comcast SportsNet like that, the way they didn’t want us anymore. It’s something that I had to deal with. Once I got past the point and turned the page I figured, ‘Well, hey, I had a great run.’ I had a lot of fun, a lot of people like me, people didn’t like ya but you can only say it one time and you do it your own way for as many years as I did and I just loved being in there.”

I do feel bad for him that the Comcast overlords were the ones who made the decision. That’s shitty any way you slice it.

Audio here.

• Dr StinkyNuts February 14, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Well I hate him because Harry hated him because Whitey hated him. He wasn’t the problem though. Tom McCarthy is still here and we’re gonna hafta figure out which exec he’s blowing regularly if we want to get rid of his almost born retarded ass.

• airedale February 14, 2014 at 4:50 pm

I give TMac a year. Then Comcast puts Tina Fey or somebody in there.

• Ruin T'Maro February 14, 2014 at 4:53 pm

That’s the most Wheeler has ever spoken without including the words “middle in”.

I’m just glad I wasn’t the one that had to get rid of the slackers this time.

• Clay February 14, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Don’t forget his genius “No diubles defense”. Good riddance you rat-haired weasel fuck.

• 2014=1993 February 14, 2014 at 5:51 pm

this made me laugh

• Clay February 14, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Doubles

• Dave February 14, 2014 at 5:51 pm

I didn’t hate Wheels like many fans, but it was definitely time for a change. I have been following the Phillies since the early 80’s and it will be nice to see some new blood in the booth.

• Good ol daze February 14, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Was at Spring Training a few years back. Great game, phils rallied to win on walk off. Hung outside locker room to see players, maybe grab autograph for my kid. Players blew outa there, couldn’t be bothered. Wheels walked the fence, chatted, had all day to talk. His act in booth was tired, time for a change. But a class act in my book.

• essdeek February 14, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Good point. I won’t miss hearing his calls but no doubt he is a classy feller.

• Wheels of Fire February 14, 2014 at 7:34 pm

I just don’t understand why McCarthy was kept on. He should have been shitcanned with Wheeler. Doesn’t Comcast realize that clown McCarthy was the real problem. His amateurish rah, rah, style of broadcasting belongs on a AA minor league team not in the majors. I hope there is zero chemistry between McCarthy, Stairs and Moyer so they can get rid of McCarthy and bring up Franzke and Anderson to the TV booth.

• Pay the fuck attention February 15, 2014 at 12:42 am

It can’t be stressed enough how Frankze and LA have both said repeatedly that they don’t want to go on TV. Not only have they said it, but pretty much every sports talk show host in the city has numerous times as well. This happens every year when people always complain about the Phillies broadcasters. Where have you been?

• Nicky Negadelphia February 14, 2014 at 8:13 pm

My boyz Marks and Brace with the sizz-coop. Well played, gentlemen! Too bad our competition was talking about food and Seinfeld reruns.

• Gthmbt February 14, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Marks and Brace, horrendous. Two tools that embarrass themselves daily.

• Nicky Negadelphia February 14, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Yet you listen every day.

• Nicky Negadelphia's little brother Pissed off Pete February 14, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Come on big bro lighten up,their show is a train wreck and know I don’t listen to their show.

• Fart February 14, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Holy shit I just realized that Kyle Scott is the Wheels of the Philly Internet.

• John Clark`s anal plug February 14, 2014 at 10:26 pm

HOLY CHRIST, Feeling Sorry for this rat haired douchebag! He tried to push out Harry and Whitey by blowing Monty all these years saying “They`re being mean to me”…WELL FUCK HIM!! He gets what he deserves and i`m glad the only thing that sucks that “company man” TMac is back, WTF did Scott Graham do to get fired? Boy i`m so glad he didn`t get any work…He`s ONLY THE VOICE OF THE NFL!! I guess Wheels didn`t like him either. Fuck you Wheeler hope i never have to see you again.

• echz February 15, 2014 at 12:15 am

The best thing he ever did was not step on Kalas during the World Series call.

• PROFESSOR ALPHONSE DATTOLO May 13, 2017 at 4:17 pm

WHEELS WAS TOLD NOT TO MAKE A SOUND WHEN HARRY CALLED THE FINAL OUT. THAT IS WHY YOU SEE HIM SILENTLY CELEBRATING WITHOUT SAYING ONE WORD.

• K February 15, 2014 at 1:23 am

Do you think you will ever get an interview? Let alone one like this?

I read your site out of hatred. I’d bet 50% of your readers are the same. You suck, you literally do nothing.

• Skippy February 15, 2014 at 2:11 am

As B-Rad from Malibu’s Most Wanted once said “Don’t Be Hatin”.

• Gthmbt February 15, 2014 at 8:45 am

Sorry to dissapoint you Nicky, never listen. They are radio death. Nice to know you and their other 5 fans still tune in..

• bill conlins stink finger February 15, 2014 at 9:22 am

clay,lmao-when i am the king of the world, bill cambell will replace wheels, so the squirrels will still sit high, now come over here little girl and sit on my lap

• Billy T February 15, 2014 at 9:44 am

Glad he’s gone because:

1. Tired of him making excuses for every Phillies mistake. Like fat ass Ryan Howard who cant bend over to pick up a routine ground ball.

2. Never forgive him for ratting out Harry the K’s tail chasing adventures on the road

3. I would never trust a 67 year old who lives at home with his mother.

• gcobbs massive choppers February 15, 2014 at 10:14 am

first off scott graham blew-second wtf with jim jackson, he is friggin terrible, just stick to hockey, which by the way you not that great at either, who the fuck is next ? big jackoff daddy, plugging his two bit shows at some 100 seat venue? f him and his cd’s books, ect,

• johnnyninenecks February 15, 2014 at 1:18 pm

WHEELER was the most despised person in Philly broadcast history. Thank God I can turn the sound back on.

• Tim February 15, 2014 at 5:21 pm

I liked him

• johnnyninenecks February 15, 2014 at 11:05 pm

So you are the one Tim .

• K Shaw February 15, 2014 at 11:13 pm

Marks is OK but they really need to can Sean Brace. Or if they are going to continue to have him on they need to send him to a speech therapist. I think he listened to one to many rap songs and has picked up a black man’s accent. Sean, the word “that” is not pronounced “dat”. Start there.

• Little Clarkie February 16, 2014 at 10:18 am

Angelo’s the next over the hill bore ass to go.

• Dave S. September 21, 2017 at 6:41 pm

We can only hope. Angelo should have been gone 10 years ago. The only other one to make me turn them of was Missenelli, he set the bar so low anybody would sound good.

• tom May 10, 2016 at 9:26 pm

Now we need to get rid of Matt Stairs And His annoying tutorials

• ALPHONSE DATTOLO October 3, 2016 at 5:24 pm

I HAVE BEEN A PHILLIES FAN FOR 56 YEARS AND I FONDLY REMEMBER BY SAAM, RITCHIE ASHBURN AND BILL CAMPBELL. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT NO ONE WILL EVER TOP THE GREAT HARRY KALAS AND RITCHIE ASHBURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Neal Sobocinski December 1, 2016 at 6:13 am

I don’t understand why people hate him and make a lot of cruel and mean comments about him. He was the last announcer the last voice from my childhood as a die hard Phillies fan when I went to my first Phillies game back in 1983. You could tell he loved the game and the Phillies. I loved it when he bring up from Phillies history. All of those years of being a loyal Phillies employee and they kick him to the curb like that! To me the games aren’t the same to watch and listen to anymore. Out of all of the people the Phillies could get Matt Stairs and Jamie Moyer, give me a brake. Matt Stairs only contribution to Phillies history was the homer he hit in the NLCS. He really had no real ties to the Phillies past,besides when I would listen to him it sounded like I was watching a hockey game,thank god he isn’t in the booth anymore,now he can mess up as the hitting coach. What is even worse they are going to put him in the Phillies hall of fame,just like Jim Time which was a joke. Why don’t they put Danny Ozark in there,next to Charlie Manuel is in my opinion one of the greatest Phillies manager in Phillies history! People bash him to. Never any talk of putting him in there! In my opinion the greatest announce team was Harry Kalas ,Andy Missed,Richie Ashburn and Chris Wheeler they we’re the team I listened to throughout my childhood as a die hard Phillies fan. Apparently I’m in the minority of people that actually liked him or like me was the last announcer that they connect back to there childhood in a good way. I don’t understand why people hated him doing analysis about the game. And also sarge he was awesome in the booth to and miss him. If there is anybody the Phillies should hire and put in the booth is Todd Kalas. I’m sure he would love to come back to the Phillies and continue his father’s legacy.

• tug May 14, 2017 at 10:39 am

if i hear ben davis tell he how fast another pitch is or how to hit a baseball ( that he never could ) I’ll throw up Please give us more mike schmidt and john kruk they fill the air with short stories funny anedotes and tell us what they think the manager should do next and about the players what a great team I don’t want to be taught how to hit in terms no one understands the radio team is outstanding and mike and john both remind me so much of ashburn mccarthy also should go somewhere else and thank gog they got rid of that humorless stiff stairs .