Rob Zombie is Shelving That Broad Street Bullies Movie

Voila_Capture 2014-02-24_01-55-26_PM
Rob Zombie, via some news outlet in New Zealand, via Nerdist, via Metro, via Philebrity:

In keeping in line with that philosophy, Zombie – usually partial to directing horror films – was working on a film about hockey. “I was working on this thing called Broad Street Bullies, which was a hockey film, but that got put on the backburner because something else popped up.”

In true Zombie fashion… that film is a horror. Sometimes things never change.

I’d been working on this hockey film for over two years, it took so much research and work, and I was literally sitting with someone going, ‘You know, I have this other idea…’

And I said the idea and they go, ‘We’ll make that!’ And I put together a one-line pitch, because I didn’t want to go to pitch meetings and do all that. I’d call them on the phone and go, “Here’s my idea, blah blah blah,’ and they’re like, ‘We’re in!’ So you slave over something for years and it’s still difficult, and you say some crazy thing off the top of your head and they say ‘Where do we sign?’. And that turned into a weird bidding war. And that became the next film.”

This is actually really disappointing. I was looking forward to this and I believe filming was supposed to begin this winter. But no such luck. Zombie has turned his attention toward another horror film, and though it doesn’t sound like BSB is completely off the table, it’s not looking good.

• Hop Devil February 24, 2014 at 3:05 pm

I knew it was too good to be true. UGH!!!

• DS February 24, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Not surprising at all. And not disappointing at all either.

The HBO Documentary that inspired Zombie in the first place was fantastic. I don’t see how a fictionalized movie version with what would assuredly be B-list and unknown actors directed by a horror film director would improve upon it.

For example, I’d take a documentary about the 1980 Gold Medal win over that piece of shit “Miracle” any day.

• Kurt Vonnegut February 24, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Piece of shit miracle????

That movie is a fucking national treasure. Go back to your moms basement and jerkoff to your high school jv team photo using your 9th grade participation ribbon as a towel.

• DS February 24, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Is a sad state of affairs if “Miracle” is a national treasure.

• Lee Muthafuckin' Hazelwood February 24, 2014 at 4:07 pm

If you’re going to have the username Kurt Vonnegut, you should limit yourself to comments that don’t make you sound like a fucking idiot.

• Angelo's Inner Voice February 24, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Yes Kurt, using the “moms basement” reference shows that you are probably in the 9th grade as well. Did you get a participation ribbon for AV club?

• Good Fuck The Bullies February 24, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Who fucking cares. I couldn’t care less about a Flyers team from 40 years ago. Move the fuck on, people. Don’t get Snideritis.

• Mellonhead February 24, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Who cares about the broad street bullies & this dirtball loser Rob zombie

• Second Opinion February 24, 2014 at 5:04 pm

I wonder would the movie delve into the fact that the creation of the WHA in 1972 allowed the Flyers to win both Cups. Boston was depleted losing McKenzie, Sanderson and Cheevers – all Flyer killers and that was similar with the Blackhawks losing Hull and Canadiens losing Dryden and Trembley. Finally, the WHA and its creation gave the Flyers a big mulligan and get Parent back who Snider traded to Toronto (for a no talent prospect)in January of 1971, believing Doug Favelle was a better goalie.

• DS February 26, 2014 at 3:21 pm

What?

Derek Sanderson played for the Boston Bruins in 1973-74 and was sent down to AHL.

• BlunderKiss65 February 24, 2014 at 5:12 pm

There are few in the music business that have gotten farther with less talent than Rob Zombie.

• Grand Master Flush February 24, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Except every rapper or Nashville faux hillbilly who has ever lived

• Bo Bo February 24, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Really Blunder – half the “music business” is filled with no talent hacks, esp on the pop ad hip hop side where these guys don’t know a musical note from a lego. I’m not a White Zombie fan, but Devil Music Volume I is a great fucking album.

• jackercrack February 24, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Don’t forget once you get big enuff in the music or entertainment industry. You become a brainwash puppet of CIA just ask Tom cruise or Britney spears.

• Fuck you kyle February 24, 2014 at 9:38 pm

This was news like a week ago ya fuck

• Jables February 25, 2014 at 6:00 pm

there is no such thing as a rock prodigy. Rock and Roll is bogus, the only thing that matters is the classical sauce. Classically trained to rock your fuggin sox off, give him a taste Kyle.