Tina Fey and Jimmy Fallon Ate Pica’s Pizza on The Tonight Show Last Night

Voila_Capture 2014-03-04_08-54-51_AM
Between the Llanerch Diner and, now, Pica’s Pizza, Delco has got the casual restaurant game on lock.

Upper Darby native Tina Fey was on the Tonight Show last night. She had once told one of the show’s writers, Luke Cunningham – also from Upper Darby (and a Bird Text member) – how much she loved Pica’s. So Cunningham sent an intern to 30th Street Station yesterday to meet Frank Pica Sr., who hand delivered pies destined for national TV.

The plan was concocted when Cunningham mentioned his conversation about Pica’s with Fey in an interview with Victor Fiorillo of Philly Mag. Pica read the interview and contacted Fiorillo about his plans to get his product on the show. Done and done.

I’ve never been a gravy (it’s gravy) above the cheese guy, but Pica’s is one of the few places that pulls it off. I prefer to eat it cold, often as a leftover, and with antipasto. Unreal hangover helper.

Video after the jump.

• Mike A March 4, 2014 at 10:20 am

It’s sauce, you fucking tool.

• Kyle Scott March 4, 2014 at 10:22 am

It’s gravy if it’s red. Don’t fight me on this.

• Mike A March 4, 2014 at 10:26 am

Gravy is made from the drippings of meat, not tomatoes.

• mexicant1 March 4, 2014 at 10:51 am

then what color is sauce, smart guy?

• Walter Sobchak March 4, 2014 at 10:52 am

I come from a very traditional Italian family. I’ll clarify to the best of my knowledge:

If there is meat in it or it was made with meat, it is gravy. Most red gravy is made with sausage, meat balls, capacoloa, etc…and has to be cooked with the meat in the gravy over the course of an entire day typically.

Sauce has no meat. It’s essentially just tomatoe, maybe some kind of cheese, garlic and whatever other spices and shit you put in it.

Really just depends on how it’s made…but I’ve always called it gravy.

• Mike March 4, 2014 at 10:58 am

By that logic you would argue that marinara is a gravy and not a sauce. Color has no bearing.

• Fart March 4, 2014 at 11:02 am

You are an idiot.

• Harry March 4, 2014 at 11:21 am

Kyle, sometimes you really just don’t get it. I’m Italian, and everyone Italian I know also thinks that gravy indicates some type of meat sauce. If there is no meat, it’s just sauce.

• Pat March 4, 2014 at 10:33 am

It’s gravy if it’s brown.

• Lundy March 4, 2014 at 10:39 am

Gravy by definition is created from meat drippings… tomato is not a meat.

You can call it gravy if that is what you would like to do, I don’t think anyone thinks that cash is a dairy product (cheddar). But don’t tell someone that “red sauce” is gravy because by definition it is not.

• Joey Bagg of Donuts March 4, 2014 at 10:39 am

Gravy goes on pasta; sauce goes on pizza. There’s no such fucking thing as pizza gravy, ya jamook .

• William Rhodes March 4, 2014 at 10:47 am

That’s what I always learned from my Italian grandparents.

• Walter Sobchak March 4, 2014 at 10:53 am

This is usually true because most pizza sauce isn’t made with meat in the sauce.

• whatsthat March 4, 2014 at 10:40 am

Agreed

• @kingofbluebell March 4, 2014 at 10:43 am

It’s sauce. Gravy has meat (sausage, meatballs, etc.) in it.

• mexicant1 March 4, 2014 at 10:50 am

it’s sauce ya friggin a-hole. sauce-thick liquid served with food, usually savory dishes, to add moistness and flavor. gravy-the fat and juices exuding from meat during cooking. don’t fight me on this. make yourself useful and go find some pics of hot newscasters or players gfs to post.

• Kyle Scott March 4, 2014 at 11:01 am

You’re all wrong. Red-gravy, brown-sauce. This isn’t a democracy. That’s the way it’s going to be around here.

• mexicant1 March 4, 2014 at 11:07 am

i love thanksgiving it’s the best holiday i especially love putting sauce on my mashed potatoes and getting a big helping of cranberry gravy. GET OVER YOURSELF.

• Polish Pizza March 4, 2014 at 11:20 am

Don’t listen to them Kyle, us Polacks know a thing or two about pizza. Pizza with gravy on it is the tits!!!

• kertello March 4, 2014 at 11:20 am

Kyle – just making up new rules? ‘That’s the way it’s going to be around here’? This is not ‘Nam, there ARE rules. Gravy is tomato cooked with meat, and there’s absolutely no questions about it by any REAL paisan!

• Whis Creeler March 4, 2014 at 11:33 am

You culinary geniuses can fight it out for yourselves.

Me? I’m heading over to McDonald’s to get a Big Mac with the special gravy.

• Lumpy7 March 4, 2014 at 11:48 am

Guys Kyle-the-journalist got caught not knowing what the fuck he’s talking about (yet again) so he’s now checked down to “Comic Buffoon” mode. It’s the only out he has other than, you know, actually admitting he’s an incorrect narcissistic douche. So anyway please proceed on down that hole Kyle, we’re listening.

• ItsRyan March 4, 2014 at 11:53 am

You’re all neglecting to mention the fact that Pica’s is a lame ripoff of Santucci’s.

• Walter Sobchak March 4, 2014 at 11:59 am

Cimmenera’s and Gaetano’s are both better if you’re looking for the
      “upside down” pizza.

Cimmenera’s upside down, provolone…fucking MONEY.

• TR March 4, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Gaetano’s is fantastic, I dont put it at Pica’s level though. Pica’s really is that good

• Walter Sobchak March 4, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Yeah I’m a big fan of Pica’s too. Can’t go wrong with any of them really.

• TR March 4, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Wow, well theres the winner for most ignorant comment of the day. First off, Picas has been around over 2 decades longer than Santuccis. Second, and most important, Picas’ pie is worlds better than Santuccis

• a March 4, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Absolutely. I’d take Stogie Joe’s over Pica’s as well.

• Sho Nuff's Afro Puffs March 4, 2014 at 11:57 am

Had my wedding reception there. The gravy was excellent….

• Whis Creeler March 4, 2014 at 12:03 pm

I had a nice southern-style breakfast this morning at Cracker Barrel consisting of biscuits and sauce.

Yum.

• Fuck You Kyle March 4, 2014 at 12:04 pm

you calling pizza sauce gravy made me so inordinately angry you fuckin douchenozzle

• Peter North March 4, 2014 at 12:11 pm

I always considered white = gravy, no?

• The only word for tomato based sauce is SAUCE March 4, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Gravy is brown and goes on turkey. Real Italians know this. You’re American. Get over it.

• francis albert March 5, 2014 at 3:09 pm

^^^ word..

• step 3: make her open the box March 4, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Sometimes I put BBQ-gravy on ribs/chicken.

• SH March 4, 2014 at 12:46 pm

ITT: everyone falling for the Gravy vs Sauce Pageview Generator.

• Joe March 4, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Anything made with or cooked with meat or something from the animal is gravy. Many people cool their sauce with a meat bone in it for flavor…which makes it gravy. A tomato sauce that is cooked with out meat, a bone, etc., is sauce.

• Jimmy Failon March 4, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Jimmy Fallon can suck the sauce/gravy off my toilet seat after I binge on expired Hot Pockets and warm Dr. Pepper. He fucking blows.

• WestPhillyKid March 4, 2014 at 1:45 pm

You guys can argue all day over whether to called it sauce or gravy,all I know is that Hunt’s mushroom Spaghetti sauce tastes great and even better when I add ground Turkey,green bell peppers,onions and garlic poured on top of a pasta of my choice.

• Angelo's Inner Voice March 4, 2014 at 10:44 pm

38 jackasses (now 9 – shit!) participating in a cluster-fuck to debate the merits of gravy vs. sauce. And the winner is the puppet-master who’s getting paid every time said jackasses read this noise.

There’s nothing else to talk about?

• Clemenza March 7, 2014 at 10:59 am

I love how a fucking jit stain named “Kyle Scott” (aka douchebag Ragu-jar ‘Medigan) purports himself to be the authority on Italian cuisine terminology. Nobody, especially real Italians, calls pizza sauce “gravy”. The only time any tomato sauce should be called “gravy” is if it’s had meat simmer in it for a long time. Now go fuck yourself, cocksucker