A Clerical Error May Have Caused the Phillies to Send a Top Prospect to the Astros

Voila_Capture 2014-06-06_05-05-14_PM

In my post yesterday about Houston Chronicle writer Jose de Jesus Ortiz detailing why the Phillies were on the wrong side of the Hunter Pence deal in 2011, I somehow missed this line from Jd JO about rising prospect Domingo Santana being thrown in by the Phils as the player to be named later:

Less than two months after they picked George Springer from the University of Connecticut, the Astros sent Pence and cash to the Phillies on July 29, 2011, for Cosart, Singleton, Zeid and a player to be named, which ended up being Santana. In spring training, a Phillies official admitted that Santana wasn’t actually supposed to be on the list that was given to the Astros to pick from to satisfy the final piece on Aug. 15, 2011.

As noted yesterday, Santana is having an outstanding year in the minors and will likely find his way to the Astros this season. At 21, he may turn out to be the best player the Astros received in the Pence deal, and his inclusion (and the disagreement over the PTBNL), may have been due to some sort of processing glitch in the Phillies’ front office.

Somebody needs to fix that glitch. They can start by moving Ruben Amaro down to Storage B.

via Phuture Phillies, (@1elevenpaul), reader Joe

• Calling Bullshit June 6, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Don’t care about this.

All of you Missanelli haters….I have been converted.

He is acting like such a dick to any caller that dares to question LeBron about last night……

I give up.

• Junkhead June 6, 2014 at 5:31 pm

I would love to see one of the Phillies beat writers ask one of the higher ups (preferably Ruben) to comment on this story. I assume they would just deflect the question or deny it, but still, it’s a question that needs to be asked.
    I have also been listening to Missanelli and his defense of Lebron is unbearable.
    Why not just turn the radio off? It’s not that easy. It’s kind of like the train wreck…

• Phineas Gage June 6, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Agreed that someone in the local media needs to look into this more. Does “wasn’t actually supposed to be on the list” really mean someone made a clerical mistake? Or did one scout think Santana was too good to be on the list but no one at the top of the organization said “do not offer him to the Astros.”

I need more on this before passing judgment.

But it still blows that the Phillies traded 4 major leaguers for Pence, while all we have left to show from trading one of the best pitchers in baseball is that piece of dogshit Philippe Aumont.

• Milton June 6, 2014 at 5:52 pm

I avoid WIP on the drive into work and 97.5 on the drive home, it’s unbearable. I almost want the reserved Saturday version of Eskin to get a drive-time show again so he could beat Missanelli in the ratings.

• KAClE June 6, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Unless you’re saying Missanelli has jumped the shark, I’m not sure how that could possibly happen as it was him that ran Eskin off. Also, albeit it took 20 years, people realized Eskin actually had very little knowledge about sports through his all the stammering and hyperbole.

• Don Imus June 6, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Hey kyle, it was a clerical error on your parents part that you werent aborted. Oops.

• srl19 June 7, 2014 at 11:00 am

sick burn

• Mike Bolton June 6, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Cock gobblers!

• Arthur Correct June 7, 2014 at 12:14 am

Yo brother,the Phillies should’ve canned Ruben years ago.

• Dillion McKay June 7, 2014 at 8:02 am

Gillick would have never let that happen

• Nat Bussichio June 7, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Agreed. Someone ought to bring Ruben by the Peach Pit for a Mega Burger and let me straighten him out!

• Ms. CB June 7, 2014 at 9:36 am

I’d like Andrew Wiggins to send ME down to level D, if you know what I mean.

We now return you to the regularly scheduled Crossing Broad: Weekend Wasteland.

• John Kaeli June 7, 2014 at 10:20 am

As idiotic and childish as Missanelli sounds isn’t that little 5ft 3 producer Myrtetus the biggest tool and pussy. How does he look at himself in the morning when all he does for a living is kiss Misaanelli’s ass and suck his dick. I am almost embarrassed for him. His wife must cringe at the fact she married this little troll.

• Calling Bullshit June 7, 2014 at 11:07 am

As annoying as Myrtetus can be, he is infinitely better at the job than Brace was. Marks was probably his best producer out of the 3, but he is becoming a really arrogant host. Brace being on the air will remain one of the great mysteries in broadcast history.

Mike has always had to ability to be a tool. I have been reading him since the Inquirer days, and listening since he was with Fredericks (RIP Steve-O). But yesterday, he out-Eskined Eskin in his own arrogant douchebag prime. As soon as one word was uttered against LeBron or Mike’s stance on cramp-gate, he called you a dope and hung up. As much as Mike hates Eskin, he turned into him yesterday.

• Biff Tannen June 7, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I totally agree. The show was at its best when Marks was the producer. He and Missanelli had a good back and forth rapport. Never listen to Marks’ show because Brace is the definition of a tool. Missanelli, who I used to think had a great show, is becoming more difficult to listen to by the day.

• Mike from South Philly June 7, 2014 at 1:00 pm

I only listen to 97.5 on the weekends.

The Mike Gill show(which is on now),and the duo of Matt Lombardo and Joe Staszak is pretty good.

The absolute worst on 97.5 is that idiot/mr race baiter himself,and that would be Phil from Mt Airy,who unfortunately,makes every show about race.

• Calling Bullshit June 7, 2014 at 11:11 am

Just a minor update to this story…to save Kyle the trouble of typing on the week-end:

Santana tore his Achilles yesterday and is out for the year.

Doesn’t make Ruben look any better or worse, but thought it might be worth mentioning.

• Junkhead June 7, 2014 at 1:23 pm

There’s an article by Jim Salisbury this morning that Ruben reached out to him and vehemently denied that any kind of clerical error was involved.
      Ruben said he didn’t want to put Santana in the pool of players, but the Astros insisted on it, and he had to do it in order to get the deal done.
      So who to believe? I guess more will follow.
      Also, wasn’t it Johan Santana , the veteran pitcher, who tore his Achilles yesterday and not Domingo Santana?
      I’m not sure myself, but will have to look into it.

• Calling Bullshit June 7, 2014 at 1:28 pm

I stand corrected.

It was Johan Santana that got hurt.

• Slammin Gretzky's Daughter June 7, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Man, if that story is true that might make Ruben look even worse. If the Astros were so insistent that Santana be included ( I.E. It was a deal-breaker according to Ruben), wasn’t it obvious that they would choose him as the PTBNL? That means Ruben knowingly gave up Cosast, Singleton, Zeid and Santana all for Pence. When the Phillies were already on pace for 100 wins. Man, that’s awful.

• Ms. CB June 7, 2014 at 1:35 pm

It’s going to be hard to run this site from Kansas City. Do they even have AOL there?

Haha, AOLOLOL.

[queef]

• Queef sniffer June 7, 2014 at 4:42 pm

I’ve got $100 on you for an outright win in 2 hours. Remember there’s an extra quarter mile in this one, don’t pull a Smarty Jones and run out of gas. Bring home that triple crown, honey!

• Ms. CB June 8, 2014 at 9:08 am

sorry, I got distracted by all the H0RSE COCK

• Todd Cap June 7, 2014 at 6:46 pm

I went to high school with Jason Myrtetus, and trust me, he got picked on and beat up everyday of his high school like. He was a metal head loser who used to date this fat blond hair girl who had multiple earrings in her nose. His nickname was actually Urkel, so I understand why he kisses Mike’s ass. He is a loser.

• Mike Adams June 7, 2014 at 10:26 pm

Rube told me my shoulder hurt and to take some time off before the fire sale!

• Officially the Worst Team of the NL June 8, 2014 at 8:50 am

Congrats, Mr. Amaro! Good job!

• Ms. CB June 8, 2014 at 9:07 am

hey dumbfuck – it’s 9am. think you could manage to drag yourself out of bed 4 hours after most responsible people do and copy/paste “DeSean Jackson claims Drew Rosenhaus bribed him in 2009”? if you don’t, I have no idea where I’d read about it.

good thing the bribe didn’t happen at a h0rse track – then you wouldn’t even be ABLE to. oh wait, I forgot, k@ycie’s rules don’t apply to you, just us. fuckface.

• Junkhead June 8, 2014 at 11:32 am

Brilliant move, DeSean.
      Admitting to taking a briefcase full of cash from an agent.
      I don’t suppose the IRS would like a word with you?

• SPQR June 8, 2014 at 10:01 am

The fact that Ruben said it wasn’t a mistake doesn’t make it better, in fact it is worse and makes him look even more incompetent that he put Santana in the deal on purpose and that Wade totally raped Ruben on that deal.

• Kyleeatscock June 8, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Funny how this clown has hired another troll to write but we still get nothing Friday-Sunday!? And when we do get something on Monday, it’s gonna look like this, Carter and Richards are on their way to another cup! Let’s hit it……………….

• The real Ms. CB June 8, 2014 at 3:10 pm

really, limp dick? 3:10pm and still nothing?

• The real Ms. CB June 8, 2014 at 3:28 pm

At this point, we’re left to assume that Kyle aka Main Whine woke up stuck to his sheets, tripped over them, and knocked himself unconscious on the dog dildo.

• Calling Bullshit June 8, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Better stop slamming Kyle and the site, lest someone copy your handle and tell you to not bother stopping by if you hate it so much.

In other news….you really expected a post on a weekend in June?????

We now return you to your regularly scheduled non-programming.

• Calling Bullshit June 8, 2014 at 3:50 pm

I am a gigantic tool and think I’m the coolest commentor on crossing broad. Even though the site has been around for years before I started commenting, I act like it can’t survive without me.

• Calling Bullshit June 8, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Um, no, but thanks for playing.

• Calling Bullshit June 8, 2014 at 4:51 pm

^^not me

• Calling Bullshit June 8, 2014 at 4:58 pm

^^ Not me

• Junkhead June 8, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Hey jagoffs, if it wasn’t for commenters like me and Calling Bullshit, this site would REALLY suck!

• Kyle Scott June 8, 2014 at 9:16 pm

+100

• Balling Cullshit June 8, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Don’t bother stopping by if you hate it so much.

• For Fuck's Sake June 8, 2014 at 5:01 pm

I thought a moratorium was called on stealing handles…..

Grow up.

• For Fuck's Sake June 8, 2014 at 5:16 pm

• For Fuck's Sake June 8, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Oh, like you’re (I’m) in charge!

• Calling Bullshit June 8, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Truce, for Christ’s sake….

It is getting old

• Calling Bullshit June 8, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Yeah it’s almost as old as me coming on here with my superiority complex and incessantly bitching about how this blog sucks. Yet I continually post a minimum of 5 comments per article per day.

• Calling Bullshit June 9, 2014 at 9:38 am

Hate to blow a hole in your well thought theory, but most of the posts lately using this handle aren’t me.

• Occupy CB June 9, 2014 at 8:23 am

My favorite part is how the handle-stealers can’t spell. I’d suggest you have a third-grade education, but that’s an insult to third-graders everywhere. Well, except Pittsburgh.

Don’t forget to steal my handle now and misspell something.

• Crossing Bitch June 9, 2014 at 8:46 am

Wahhhhhhh

• Uncle Meat June 9, 2014 at 2:37 pm

So, will Santana be the SECOND future HOF’er that was a “throw in” by the Phils in a multi-player deal? (The first being Sandberg, of course.)