Here’s Chase Utley Surprising a Fan Fighting Cancer on the Ellen Show

Screen Shot 2014-12-15 at 5.09.45 PM

Earlier today, Kyle mentioned that Chase Utley would be making an appearance on the Ellen Show to “warm hearts and presumably kiss babies.” Well, there were no babies around but Chase sure warmed hearts and brought smiles and looked handsome.

Utley was on hand to surprise Tabernacle, NJ’s Julie Kramer, a 23-year-old Phillies fan battling stage 4 synovial sarcoma. Chase brought out a whole bunch of Phillies merch and gifts for Kramer and invited her to come to any game she wants next year.

Kramer also whispered something in Chase’s ear and said what sounded like “’08 … of course, I can’t say it” while gesturing towards the crowd. Chase responded: “Of course, I’m totally with ya.” Only Kramer and Chase know what she said, but I’m going with “World Fucking Champs.”

Video can be seen over here.

• mk December 15, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Hope they don’t trade him

• Skippy December 15, 2014 at 11:40 pm

They should’ve traded Utley two years ago,he’s a washed up has been.

• Sensitive guy December 15, 2014 at 6:47 pm

I hate to admit it – especially with the way comments get on this site – but that video made me a little misty, not gonna lie.

• Wtf December 15, 2014 at 9:33 pm

really neat, hope the young lady beats the shit out of the cancer

• Paul Shore December 15, 2014 at 10:36 pm

needed that after that shit show of a game last night

• Awaiting Moderation December 16, 2014 at 9:13 am

Far and away the most winning move the Phillies have made this offseason.

Good on ya, Chase!

• Ronald McDonald December 16, 2014 at 9:43 am

Dear Chase,
    I feel like I can call you Chase because you and me are so much alike. I would love to meet you some day. It would be great to have a catch. I know I can’t throw as fast as you, but I think you would be impressed with my speed. I love your hair. You run fast. Do you have a good relationship with your father? Me neither. These are all things we can talk about and more. I know you have not been getting my letters because I know you would write back if you did, and I hope you write back this time and we get to be good friends. I am sure our relationship would be a real home run.
    Mac

• cheesedick December 16, 2014 at 10:23 am

That’s good stuff right there…he prolly smashed that in the changing room during commercial break. Chicks can’t say no to chases’ baseball bat.

• Maxie December 16, 2014 at 10:47 am

Class move by both Ellen and Chase. I am a cancer survivor and I am praying this young woman also wins her battle. Good luck Julie!!

• Moo Stonky December 16, 2014 at 10:58 am

Nearly 10am and no new cut’n’pastes yet today? Get to work you blowjob queens

• Dr. Marvin Monroe December 16, 2014 at 11:04 am

What do you expect? Deadspin only has one article up today. And it is political.

• FACE December 16, 2014 at 11:25 am

Damn you Rube…

• Big baseball fan December 16, 2014 at 11:34 am

Awesome!!!! Baseball story!! Yeah!!!!! Chase Utley is so cool!!!!!! Yeaaaaahhhhh!!!!!

Great job crossing broad!