Troy Aikman Again Tells How Andy Reid Once Asked him to Quarterback the Eagles

Photo Credit: Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports

Photo Credit: Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports

In week 11 of the 2002 NFL season, Donovan McNabb went 20-for-25 for 255 yards and four touchdowns on a broken ankle in a game that will forever live in Five lore. Following that, the Eagles finished the season with Koy Detmer and A.J. Feeley under center (who went a combined 5-1) and eventually went to the NFC Championship game (with a healthy McNabb in the playoffs). But that all could have gone very differently if Troy Aikman wasn’t on vacation.

According to Aikman — retelling a story he’s told before, but making it no less insane — Andy Reid called and asked him to come out of retirement and quarterback the Eagles after McNabb went down:

“[Reid] said, ‘Hey, did you hear what happened.’ I said, ‘Yeah, we did a game break.’ He said, ‘Well I want to talk to you about coming to Philadelphia.’ I said, ‘Andy, we’re in the middle of a broadcast. It’s halftime right now.’ He said, ‘I know, I’m watching the game.’ So I said, ‘OK, I’ll call you after the game.’”

Ultimately, Aikman decided it was best to enjoy the California whether and avoid flying across the country to prepare for a game.

“I got back to Santa Barbara and this was around November or whenever it was, and I woke up and I’m thinking, ‘I can either enjoy the next couple of days in Santa Barbara, California, it’s about 65, 70 degrees, or I’m going to be on a plane flying to Philadelphia and probably going to be playing on Monday night against the 49ers,’” Aikman said.

Turning down the offer allowed many Eagles and Cowboys fans to never have to face the strange emotions that would have come with Aikman wearing Eagles green (especially in Week 13 at the Vet). So really, he saved us all, and we were fine with Koy… and then A.J.

• Kyle scott December 17, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I wonder what chase utley did after the Ellen show ?
    Maybe he went to lunch? I wonder what he had for lunch? Probably a salad so he can stay fit. But who knows? Maybe he cheated and had a burger? Mmmmmm I bet it was a really good burger. Man I love baseball and chase utley.

• Abe Lincoln December 17, 2014 at 12:45 pm

What the hell is “California whether”?

• Kyle's soapbox December 17, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Connor Barwin probably misspelled “weather” on twitter, and Jimbo has now adopted the incorrect use of “whether” as gospel.

• CT December 17, 2014 at 1:02 pm

I’m really starting to hate our Eagles fanbase. Being apart of it is getting embarrassing. Listening to these idiots on the radio today makes me wonder how any player takes pride in playing for this city. “Chip Kelly isn’t an NFL coach”. “Honeymoon is over”. It’s his second year and he’s gonna win 10+ games again! I don’t know if these radio callers are just losers and have nothing else in like besides football or what.

• Skippy December 17, 2014 at 1:06 pm

I guess that kinda makes you an even bigger idiot for continuing to listen to sports talk radio.

Life must really suck for you dude.

• DS December 17, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Actually its the Chip Kelly ass kissers like you that make me ashamed of being a Philly fan. He has a gimmick offense that runs scores up against bad teams and either falters or has its doors blown off against good teams. And people like you are inducting him in Canton already.

Also, I haven’t seen a Conor Barwin article in a few days. What’s going on here?

• 0-48/9 December 17, 2014 at 2:25 pm

What’s the win/loss record of the teams Kelly beat, and what’s the win/loss record of the teams they’ve lost to? Just curious…

• Kyles Mangina December 17, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Well said

• Wtf December 17, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Get off the wagon than we don’t need you

• GayJeffySuxCox December 17, 2014 at 1:09 pm

What the fuck does this have to do with anything? Get your playoff money by Friday sheep baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• AL Tru December 17, 2014 at 1:37 pm

100 people arrested in one section alone Sunday night.
    One woman spit in a cop’s face, bit another cop and had to be cuffed wrists and feet.
    Jeff Garcia ran that offense better than #5.
    Andy Reid is a fraud. clueless.

• Kyles Mangina December 17, 2014 at 2:53 pm

R e l a x .. Let’s pump the brakes… Put 8 in the box…. And realize this is a parady league.

• AL Tru December 17, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Is that parody or parity ? sometimes i kant Reid so wilson goode

• Max September 20, 2016 at 7:54 pm

This is laughable, the comments and the story. Aikman was washed up really after 1996 once he no longer was surrounded by a cast of all-pro’s in their prime to cover up the fact that his production was pedestrian at best. By 2002, he would’ve gotten eaten alive in Philly. Granted, the Eagles QB situation was bad but he damn sure wasn’t the answer.

Laughable.