The Phillies Prolong the Inevitable, Place Cliff Lee on 60-Day DL

Screen shot 2015-03-16 at 5.14.46 PM

Though Cliff Lee’s “forearm strain,” a tear in his flexor tendon, is potentially career ending, the Phillies have just placed Lee on the 60-day DL as he’ll try to rehab without surgery. The Phillies’ statement reads:

“Cliff has now attempted to twice rehabilitate this injury without having surgery. While surgery has now been recommended, it would effectively put an end to his 2015 season as the rehabilitation from the surgery would run through the end of the season.”

Lee will immediately stop throwing and he’ll go home to rest and begin rehab. The hope is that he’ll recover without surgery and be able to pitch again this year, though it’s hard to imagine that happening at all, and even harder to see it not leading to a career-ending injury. He’s already attempted to rehab this same injury twice, and that didn’t work. I’m not an expert in flexor tendons, but I did just give myself a headache from rolling my eyes at the Phillies and their training staff, which seems to subscribe to the ice it and tape it philosophy (see: Utley comma Chase).

The Phillies (and Cliff Lee) might be the only people that think they can fix Lee’s 36-year-old arm with some rest and stretching. It’s likely this could be the end of the road for Lee, it just hasn’t been written down yet.

• Bob March 16, 2015 at 5:54 pm

“but I did just give myself a headache from rolling my eyes at the Phillies and their training staff, which seems to subscribe to the ice it and tape it philosophy (see: Utley comma Chase).”

Jim, you are an asshole towards anything baseball. It’s clear you hate writing about it. Don’t write about the sport, then. When you bring up Chase Utley’s patella tendonitis and Chrondromalacia patella of the knees, the Phillies’ training staff were the ones that helped him the most. Among baseball, the Phillies training and doctors have one of the best reputations in the sport.

Jim, stop it. All Phillies stories that you post don’t have to take a shot at the organization. Cliff Lee’s bad arm has nothing to do with Chase Utley.

• Bob March 16, 2015 at 7:26 pm

I forgot to mention is my previous ramblings that I’m a Pisces, like long walks on the beach and having my ass double fisted elbow deep by any willing male.

I also used to work at “the men’s wearhouse” until I realized that it wasn’t actually a warehouse full of men.

• Hedda Mykoche March 16, 2015 at 7:39 pm

I just farted all over his left arm

• Josh Innes March 16, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Stop it with the fat jokes jerks!!! I just got a new lap band put in since I ate through the last 3 lap bands. I’m down to 430lbs. Leave me alone. Where I come from we don’t treat people like this.

• row home March 17, 2015 at 7:20 am

“just got a new lap band”….

I bet you don’t like people that aren’t from Philly.

Just “had” a new lap band put in…….

English – learn it.

• Philly Joe March 17, 2015 at 8:21 am

Is that what they teach at LSU you big fat dumb shit.

• Row home March 17, 2015 at 9:55 am

Big, fat, dumb

Commas. Grammar learn it.

• Bob March 16, 2015 at 7:52 pm

This city is truly lacking in the gay hardcore scene. Anybody have any suggestions????

• RubenSux March 17, 2015 at 9:12 am

“Once again, we pay no attention to our players in the off-season. So in addition to paying a useless piece of fucking monkey shit KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK machine $25 million, I will be paying this one armed bandit $25 million. See you all down at the park sheep.”–RAJ
    Fuck off Rube

• Carl Lindros March 17, 2015 at 6:46 pm

Did the Phillies’ medical staff learn their trade from the 1990s Flyers’ staff?