Charles Barkley Tried to Help Johnny Manziel Three Hours Before he was Arrested in Las Vegas

Photo Credit: Pool Photo-USA TODAY Sports

Charles Barkley called into the 97.5 Morning Show this morning to talk about the Sixers and create enthralling radio, as usual. Towards the end of the conversation, it turned to Johnny Manziel, who Barkley feels pure sadness for:

As a guy who has a brother who is dead from drugs and things like that, it’s very personal to me. I feel sadness to tell you the truth. It’s like a bad movie because you know how it’s gonna end… You sit around and say to yourself ‘When are these guys gonna realize it’s not a matter of if it’s just a matter of when?’ Why do these guys keep thinking they can beat drugs?… You see it with Michael Jackson, you saw it with Prince, you saw it with Philip Seymour Hoffman. If you’re trying to beat drugs and alcohol, it’s just a matter of when you’re gonna lose. I feel sadness.

But it’s not just that he feels sad for Johnny, he actually told that to his face when they ran into each other in Vegas during the Western Conference finals. Charles tried to talk some sense into Johnny. It didn’t work:

So about a month ago, we had a few days off in the playoffs… So me and my boys went to Vegas for a couple days. So I’m sitting at the table next to Johnny Manziel. We had met before in Cleveland but I don’t know him, don’t claim to know him. So he sends one of his guys over saying Johnny wants to come talk to you for a minute… So Johnny comes over and I said ‘Johnny, man you’re screwing up your life, man. I’m not your dad, I’m not gonna try to lecture you. I’m just telling you I had a brother who passed away at a young age. Drugs and alcohol got him. It’s gonna end like a bad movie.

He said ‘Man I just like to have fun,’ and I said ‘Johnny we all like to have fun, at some point it’s out of control.’ I said ‘don’t screw up your career, and I’m worried about your life’… My mom, when my brother passed away, I thought she quit living after that happened. I felt bad for her, and I don’t wanna feel bad for your mom and dad if something happens to you man, stop being selfish. He said ‘You know what, I’m gonna try and do better.’

So it’s about two o’clock in the morning. I got the plane waiting at the airport cause I got to get to Oklahoma City. So me and my boys stay there for a couple more hours. I’m driving to the airport, and on the radio: Breaking News, Johnny Manziel arrested at a nightclub in Vegas… My friends, they were riding me like ‘Yeah, you’re a good mentor, the guy gets arrested three hours after talking to you.’

That’s just a great story. Sad, but great. One talk from Charles Barkley isn’t going to turn Johnny Manziel’s life around. No one talk from anyone is going to. It’s on him and his inner circle to straighten his life out, but it’s looks unlikely. Just yesterday, he posted a picture from Cabo (his money’s gotta run out at some point too, right?) taunting his father with a “#HiDad” and promising a comeback.

Like Charles said, it’s a bad movie.

Post-script: We use USA Today Sports Images for a majority of our header pictures. In most cases, when an off-the-field thing is the topic, we have to go with an on-the-field picture. Not in this case. You have to sort through nearly 50 images before you find an on-the-field image of Johnny Football.

• old man reedy June 29, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Out of control! Please this guys just trying to enjoy the offseason.

• Upon further review June 29, 2016 at 2:21 pm

I researched AM/FM statistics and what I discovered was huge. The peak of listenership was 1992, in the Philadelphia market with a total number of listeners of 12 million dailies. With CD players going in more cars that number dropped to 7 million by 1999. The iPod caused it to drop to 1.5 million by 2008. With iPhones , Sirius, and internet radio that number is now around 200,000 today, most of which is music radio. That’s 12,000,000 down to 200,000. It’s over Johnny!

• Bob June 29, 2016 at 2:53 pm

Wow, great job… Did you know that pay phones are nearly extinct too?

• Slippery c0ck university June 29, 2016 at 3:00 pm

Lol !

• Lil' Ant Gargano June 29, 2016 at 3:12 pm

yeah…hold on…while i download this article ro my pc and sync it to my iphone via itunes.
          WHAT DUMB FUCKER INVENTED FUCKING itunes?
          ###7$&&%&$&&#ucker!

• Did Coke with Jerry blavat couple summers back in margate June 29, 2016 at 12:48 pm

Funny story -I ran into Johnny football at the hard rock circle bar in Vegas Last month & had a short conversation with him

Me: what are you doing here?
    Manziel: “I’m only here to chew gum, do drugs, get laid and party. And of course, I’m all out of gum!

• Lil' Ant Gargano June 29, 2016 at 3:19 pm

Try not to be funny again. Its not working.
      If you do plan on “being funny again”, make sure your a passenger in Jonni football’s car.
      Its almost as disgusting as watching the 76er’s try and put a team together and win a few games.

• Slowpoke Rodriguez June 29, 2016 at 3:28 pm

not funny.

• Charlie Sheen June 29, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Rookie league stuff…

• Tim Couch June 29, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Run out of $? Cheddah? His parents are loaded and won’t cut him off from the family wealth plus he had his NFL contract and believe it or not he does get endorsement money. But most importantly check his family’s wealth out and their inability to cut him off from it.

• Butthurt WIP Fan June 29, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Another ad for 97.5 THE TITANIC

Why don’y you write a story about the fantastic interview Angelo did today with Marshall Harris or Gary Cobb????

• Satellite radio June 29, 2016 at 12:53 pm

97.5 morning show = unlistenable

• Salvatore Pantaloon June 29, 2016 at 1:00 pm

I agree

• Karate mark June 29, 2016 at 1:06 pm

Cuz’s show was great this morning . You aren’t human if you hated this morning’s show

• Mark the bagger June 29, 2016 at 1:09 pm

I’m sure MCW’s updates were great too.

• Lil' Ant Gargano June 29, 2016 at 3:15 pm

thjis is the WORST show. especially fake lauigh gargano’s iover top bullshit with his better than you ‘meat locker’ jamokes.
        My poppy big ant Gargano’s isn’t even a man!
        He hires a #$^^& construction crew to hang a picture in his house.

• Mark the bagger June 29, 2016 at 1:07 pm

Put on 97.5 morning show this AM. Here’s what I heard:

Stupid intro music
      Cuz: Gooood Mooorrrnning evverrryboodee (how original!)
      Happy Happy

Me: Click, back to SiriusXM.

• The annoying zit on the back of my neck June 29, 2016 at 1:05 pm

People need to get off johnny’s back for enjoying himself .

• Lil' Ant Gargano June 29, 2016 at 3:16 pm

hey man…i agree. I don’t want you people helping him.
      Let him take himself out.
      He’s number 7 on my deadpool list.

• Snake F June 29, 2016 at 1:24 pm

Let the man live his life however he sees fit. That should go for every person out there. Fucking pussies

• Leslie "baby killer" Gudel June 29, 2016 at 2:34 pm

Johnny football has a great I’m a wigger from port Richmond who loves wild wood

• Slowpoke Rodriguez June 29, 2016 at 3:33 pm

nailed it, 100% accurate.

• Reality June 29, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Fuck this guy…do the world a favor and OD already you piece of shit.

• The ice in the pisser at Maggie's Waterfront June 29, 2016 at 3:22 pm

He’s melting faster than me on a hot Saturday afternoon.

• Ricky Mannequin June 29, 2016 at 4:43 pm

Really hope this guy gets some help. My family and I have been dealing with my brothers addiction to pain killers after he tore his labrum pitching.

• Chainsaw from summer school June 29, 2016 at 9:39 pm

back in the day I used to work with a guy whose wife had a drinking problem. he got her to go to an AA meeting…..and when she didn’t come home after her first meeting, he went looking and found her in a bar, along with a bunch of the meeting’s attendees. Also found a bag of blow in her pocket .

• William Rhodes June 30, 2016 at 10:17 am

Sounds like my ex. Drinking, doing coke and banging her sponsor hours after the meeting.

• Spy Keskin June 30, 2016 at 7:43 am

Think it’s okay if we start using #JoshAintHere?

• McGruff. #crimedog June 30, 2016 at 11:11 am