Comcast Continues to Screw You

From Awful Announcing:

On the heels of getting agreements with MLB and the NBA to stream local games in-market, Fox has now gotten the green light to begin streaming NHL games to local fans next season. John Ourand of Sports Business Journal reports that after five years of talks, Fox and the NHL reached an agreement that allows in-market streams of the 12 teams to which it owns the rights.

NBC Sports Group which is the other large cable rightsholder with the NHL has not made a deal for its teams nor does it have one in place for MLB.

Goddamn you, Comcast-NBC. Goddamn you.

Slowly but surely, the world is coming around on streaming. Particularly in-market streaming sports. Major networks and providers are figuring out ways to keep their interests – subscriber login required – while still giving customers the ability to stream content. Comcast, of course, remains the holdout, first for baseball, and now for hockey, which is even more laughable because they own the national broadcast rights – not to mention the Flyers – and do a fairly decent job with the stream.

If this sounds familiar, that’s because it is. Here’s what I wrote last year when it was reported that FOX and MLB were approaching an in-market streaming agreement (which has since come to fruition):

This is a big deal. Local sports, as you know, are sort of the last thing standing in the way of many people cutting the cord. The NFL doesn’t really factor in because most of their games are on network TV, which you can access through a digital tuner and other means. ESPN, which airs Monday Night Football, is dipping its toe into streaming packages that don’t require cable subscriber credentials with Dish’s Sling TV. Hockey and basketball aren’t quite there yet (CSN does allow you to stream Sixers games, with cable credentials), but if Major League Baseball is able to strike a deal with regional networks like FOX and CSN, expect the other leagues to follow suit. But why do I get the feeling that NBC-CSN is going to be the company that holds all this up?

So not only are they the holdout for baseball, but also for hockey. A TWOFERFUCKINGYOU.

Now, there are other options. You can subscribe to Playstation Vue, which includes local broadcast affiliates and CSN. It’s a viable option. Or, you can get a VPN and subscribe to MLB.tv or GameCenter. It works just fine. By next season, Comcast is supposed to join the ranks for in-market baseball streaming, or else MLB.tv won’t be able to raise their prices, apparently, according to some lawsuit I still don’t fully grasph. But the fact that you are paying for CSN, if you have cable, and can’t watch Phillies or Flyers games online is completely ridiculous.

• Eagles22 June 27, 2016 at 9:34 pm

why would Comcast (a cable company) encourage their potential subscribers to cut the cord?

• Kyle Scott June 27, 2016 at 9:54 pm

First of all, they can require cable credentials to watch online. Also, they are a broadband provider.

• Eddie Mush June 27, 2016 at 10:00 pm

Is this just on Comcast? I can stream flyers and Phillies through the Verizon FiOS app

• Eagles22 June 28, 2016 at 8:28 am

Oh really? They provide Internet too? Thank you for the clarification haha you can stream mostly every channel from Comcast app except local sports. And if you’re on your home wifi you can stream live channels. I have Verizon and getting sports on that is a rip off too. They charge like $12 extra a month just for redzone and NFL network. Meanwhile normal channels like NBA tv, MLB tv, NHL network, CBS sports, etc are all part of a separate package. It’s all terrible. Not to mention you think they’d upgrade to the 21st century. They have pop up ads on their guide channel and their on demand is pretty user unfriendly. I for one am making the switch back to Comcast cable after Verizon. I hate it.

• Ian B. June 28, 2016 at 1:06 pm

Anybody who wants to switch back to Comcast, feel free to contact me. I work direct sales and get new customers 40% discounts on the shitty prices that the Internet and Customer Service campaigns offer.

• And that as this weeks "talking cable bills" June 27, 2016 at 9:40 pm

Brought to you by Kyle Scott

• chuick June 27, 2016 at 9:43 pm

you still will not try VIPBOX DOT BIZ will you?
    sure you have to get through some commercial ads, most of them gambling sites, but once you do then you get to watch FREE sporting events in any form.’
    try it.
    i do not have a dog in this fight but…whatever.

• once did a shot with the bow & arrow killer at out of whack jacks June 27, 2016 at 10:20 pm

Best abbey to go. Save so much mother fucking cash

• once did a shot with the bow & arrow killer at out of whack jacks June 27, 2016 at 10:19 pm

I cut the cord last summer & never fucking looked back. Can get any game, movie, show , wwe & ufc with stream smart

• David Cohen June 27, 2016 at 10:42 pm

That’s the old co,cast logo

• Crossing Broad Sucks Kyle Is Lazy and Loves Racist Comments June 27, 2016 at 11:10 pm

another day another protest in baltimore

guess who

1 guess

da brothas

• Neither Dish or Direct TV can afford CSN Philadelphia June 28, 2016 at 12:40 am

Carrier rates higher than any other regional sports channel. From the humble beginning of Prism to one of most ruthless regional sports networks in the country.

• Lou Albano June 28, 2016 at 4:10 am

Fuck”Scum”cast and all the fools that give them money so they can fuck them even more! Ahh! Ha! Ha! Ha!

• Sean June 28, 2016 at 8:18 am

We made the switch to Playstation Vue and I can honestly say it was the best decision we’ve made so far. We switched in April. We’ve been living in our house for 4 years. When we moved in we signed up for a comcast triple play our first bill was $130. In those 4 years our service stayed exactly the same, the only difference was the cost per month. Our second bill cost us $140… 3rd month $150. Finally, the last straw was this past April, our bill spiked to $255 a month. We did get Starz, MLB Network, NFL Network, but no HBO, no Cinemax or Showtime. Every time my bill went up I attempted to call Comcast and get my bill lowered, they refused, and did not offer me any other options. We’ve since discontinued our cable bill, and our phone bill, but kept our internet for $85 a month (Comcast is the only internet provider in my area that offers the speeds I need). With the $45 Playstation Vue account, and Amazon prime account (we pay $99 for Prime per year). We’ve lowered our monthly cable and internet bill to $138.25 a month with amazon prime included. If you’re going to make the switch, I suggest getting an Amazon fire TV box for it as well. At the right internet speeds there is absolutely no glitching. I’m saving $1400 a year just by switching. You do not need a playstation to sign up, you can stream multiple channels on different tv’s with the same account. No issues.

• Sue June 28, 2016 at 9:39 am

So over comcast they talk a good talk over the phone but don’t follow through and are quick too take your money my cable has been out for 8 days cant get any one out but they were on time too pull my money …so over you Comcast and seems like lots of others are caching on !

• FUCK COMCAST June 28, 2016 at 12:40 pm

I bit the bullet a year ago and said Fuck you Comcast, I just wont watch NHL or NBA. I get baseball streaming on my Tmobile account so I have that base covered. I bought an OTA antenna for Football this year and with Sling TV\Hulu\Netflix I figure I’m all set. I’d rather never give Comcast another fucking penny than watch sports at this point. They can all go suck it.

• Sean June 28, 2016 at 1:19 pm

Switch to Playstation Vue and you will get a of your local sports

• fuck it June 28, 2016 at 1:18 pm

I was relocated for work to the west coast 2 years ago- with high speed internet- 2 cable boxes showtime/ hbo and the NHL/ MLB/ redzone/ NBA networks my bill is $149 per month consistently – i do pay for nhl center ice every year which is 100 bones but all in all i have to say im a fan of cox- cox can be good apparently

• Paul November 24, 2016 at 5:20 pm

Sonic home 22gbps fttn — no data cap. Unlimited phone. Taxes included: $53. Add Directv Now– 100 channels and I’m up to $88 for internet, phone & TV. Not bad.