There’s Another Streaming Option That Will Carry CSN Philly

You now have another option besides PlayStation Vue to cut the cord and stream local sporting events.

From Jonathan Tannenwald:

The paid streaming service fuboTV announced Thursday that it had signed a deal with NBCUniversal to add all the network’s national and local channels to its online offering. The deal includes Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia and the Comcast Network.

This gives local sports fans an option besides Comcast’s, Verizon FiOS’, and RCN’s cable packages for watching games that CSN and TCN televise. In addition to the Phillies, Flyers, and 76ers, CSN and TCN broadcast Union soccer games and a wide range of local college football and basketball.

A monthly subscription to fuboTV will cost $34.99 during an introductory period. That’s the same price as the lowest-price PlayStation Vue tier that offers CSN and TCN.

After the introductory period, the length of which has not been officially set, fuboTV’s monthly rate will rise to $49.99.

PlayStation Vue’s cheapest offering is $29.99 per month, and most expensive $54.99 per month. Rivals SlingTV and DirecTV Now do not offer CSN and TCN.

Both Sling TV and DirectTV Now look promising but are essentially non-starters because they don’t include CSN Philly (yet).

Fobu TV is intriguing as it started out as a soccer streaming service – hence the name – but is now dipping its toe into major American sports. In addition to CSN, it will also carry all of the FOX sports networks, the Big Ten Network, local FOX and NBC stations, and the FOX (Fox News, FX, etc.) and NBC (CNBC, MSNBC) cable channels. It will also offer cloud DVR.

Is it a viable option? I think so. But what we’re seeing – and what I’ve predicted all along – is that narrow services are growing and incorporating more channels and are looking a lot like your current cable bundle, at a slightly lower price point and with a streaming focus. My chief issue with Vue was that it only streams in 720, which I’m guessing is the case for Fobu as well. So that’s a consideration if you want to cut the cord– you have to be willing to put up with quality issues and some of the quirks of streaming technology, which will obviously improve.

Compared to PlayStation Vue, Fobu is lacking a bit. Vue carries all of the local broadcast networks, which removes the need for a tuner if you want to watch CBS or ABC. Fobu also doesn’t offer Red Zone (as of now). Or ESPN. And it’s not really any cheaper once the introductory offer runs out.

But, you will now have another option if you want to cut the cord and still watch local sports.

• serious questions December 16, 2016 at 11:43 am

Is 97.5 down to 10 on air people including MCW and silent bro? Not counting them, I can only count 8.

• this really happened December 16, 2016 at 11:54 am

I was in the stall next to Jim Adair last night at Pitchers Pub. I hear a black man enter the stall with Jim in it, and says “OK Jim, now wrap your lips around that” . I am assuming he pulled out his penis and Jim blew him.

• Oscar Pistorius December 16, 2016 at 12:16 pm

How can you ‘hear a black man enter the ‘stall'”?
        WTF?
        I talked to Jim this morning and he sounded pretty happy and he said it was your girlfriend in there blowing him.
        He did mention something about her having to take out her dentures, so i guess he got a gum job.
        So apparently you confused hearing a black man enter with hearing your girlfriend enter.

• Sean Brace December 17, 2016 at 10:27 am

Da brothas always be singin’ when they go in the head, yo. They loves da echo.

• Eytan Shander's Mohel December 16, 2016 at 3:56 pm

Okay let’s count. 1. Gargano 2. MCW 3. Silent Bro 4. Baldy 5. Eytan Shander 6. Harry O 7. Robbie E. 8. Matt Lombardo 9. Mosher 10. Missanelli
      Corrrect ! (Arthur voice)

• Xmas and cocaine December 16, 2016 at 11:48 am

Would love to fuck somebody tonight at happy hour

• Mike The Pizza Guy December 16, 2016 at 12:23 pm

great! . go fuck yourself.

• hey everybody... December 16, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Mike’s back!!!!

• serious question December 16, 2016 at 11:54 am

do you do guy stuff?

• Long Winded Post December 16, 2016 at 11:55 am

I was all set to cut the cord last month and sign up for PSVue. It had just about every channel I wanted, DVR, and multiple TV streams. I was enjoying the trial (minus their funky guide layout) and called Comcast to cancel. Then the news came out that PSVue was losing all of their Viacom channels and I was no longer interested. That’s the problem with these streaming sites, their channel selections will come and go much like the movie selections on Netflix (before they became focused on original content). I don’t want that kind of uncertainty month to month. Until they can offer that I am sadly stuck b@tching about Comcast.

• Mary Steenburgen December 16, 2016 at 12:22 pm

Share a connection with your neighbor. split the bill.
      that is, unless your neighbor is an asshole…………

• Mary Steenburgen December 16, 2016 at 12:21 pm

I have heard of some comcast subscribers doing this.
    They ‘share’ a comcast connection with their neighbor, the cable runs from the street to only
    one house,, get extra cable boxes, run a cable from one house to the other (obviously underground), connect those boxes up and
    split the bill.
    Comcast can’t tell where the boxes are connected.

I wouldn’t do that though, because it illegal.
    Sort of like that hit on sproles.

• Peter Zezel December 16, 2016 at 12:32 pm

My Comcast bill is $190 a month, but it’s fucking awesome. Streaming anywhere I want, every sports game I want, every movie available. I can watch my recorded shows on vacation wherever I am. Man the fuck up get a real job and quit bitching about Comcast.

• Earl "The Pearl" Monroe December 16, 2016 at 12:49 pm

So you’re basically some kind of zombie that needs to be watching TV at all times? That’s sad.

• Hollis Thomas’s CPAP machine December 16, 2016 at 2:18 pm

Try having two kids holmes. Being able to have them watch almost any show at any time on any device no matter where you are is huge, let’s me bang the sh*t out of my wife while on vacation and the kids are occupied.

• Earl "The Pearl" Monroe December 16, 2016 at 2:34 pm

Parent of the year nominee.

• Hollis Thomas’s CPAP machine December 16, 2016 at 2:40 pm

Gets me laid….

• 190 a month for cable gtfoh December 16, 2016 at 1:07 pm

Kyle, fyi, PS vue has the ultra tier that’s 75, currently 65 on sale. I have it, just signed up for the 7 day trial. And I was also getting a 1080 stream on it as well, unless the info button on my tv is lying to me.

• Also December 16, 2016 at 1:09 pm

We now have direct tv now that just launched. Then starting soon, youtube and hulu are launching a full fledged tv service.
    #fuq_traditional_cable

• What is everyone talking about? December 16, 2016 at 1:17 pm

I have an Antenna.. I get ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox. I also get on good days some UHF stuff

• Uncle Miltie December 16, 2016 at 1:57 pm

We had two children because of our TV. One to get on the roof to adjust the antenna, and one to hold the coat hanger and change the dial on the TV.

• Aunt Bertha December 16, 2016 at 2:19 pm

We would have contests on who can change the bottom dial fastest without going past channel 57

• 1080i and 720p are both HD December 16, 2016 at 4:54 pm

Why the hate for 720p. That’s what your getting when you watch ABC, ESPN, Fox Sports, Big Ten, MLB etc.. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television_in_the_United_States). Unless your watching an on-demand movie or service like Netflix, that 1080 on your screen is actually 1080i which is no better than 720p. Currently there are no broadcast or cable networks that broadcasts in 1080p. Some of the networks broadcast in 1080i but most experts will tell you 720p handles the movement of sports better than 1080i. Regarding Vue, I’ve had Vue for about five months now. The layout of the programming guide is a bit funky but overall the service is great with a free dvr, up to five simultaneous streams and no contract. If you are happy with your X1 or FIOS cable experience and the extra money you pay for it then I suggest you stay with cable. Cutting the cable tv cord comes with some challenges but Vue is a good alternative. With Fios internet only and Vue, I’m now saving $85 a month just in dvr/rental box fees and miscellaneous taxes & fees (broadcast fee, regional sports fee etc.)..

• Sporting Wood December 16, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Is that FOBU or FUBAR?

• kev December 17, 2016 at 12:40 am

Vue DOES NOT have TCN

• Jillian Mele, Sports Reporter of the Year December 17, 2016 at 10:38 am

And that means no me on your TV! Inconceivable!

Me, me, me, I’m so awesome!

Go to my Instagram and congratulate me for the award that Comcast paid for to promote my failing show. Don’t forget to tell me how hot I am! xoxo