Your Monday Morning Roundup

Photo credit: Marc DesRosiers-USA TODAY Sports

Crazy sports weekend.

Let’s hit it!

But first, a word from our sponsors:

voila_capture-2016-11-18_02-16-38_pm

Sale. We are catching up on stock and all orders already placed are going out this week. Everything else will ship in 3-5 days. Shop now.

Amazon. You’re going to shop there anyway– use our link and give your favorite blog a little kickback.

The roundup:

So this could be the Tweet that does Zach Ertz in in Philly, ironically on the day that he helped me win money on Draft Kings due to his garbage time destruction. Bobby Abreu has been getting hounded with this in his timeline since I tweeted it yesterday, and, frankly, I’m just proud of my son for shouting his first player out of town.

I’m not sure what else there is to say about the Eagles game. They suck. They’re regressing. There was no effort, more bad penalties, Carson Wentz looked really bad and somehow managed to throw directly into defensive linemen on what felt like every play despite being 6’5 (call that Garb Shotz), and the defense continued to be maddeningly inconsistent as it got torched by – is this correct? – an A.J. Green-less mediocre Bengals team. In fact, the only positive may have been Nelson Agholor, who at least showed some effort as he worked through his case of being not very good at football. Well done, guys!

voila_capture-2016-12-05_07-43-00_am

You think I’m joking when I talk about the anti-Nova bias in this city, but are you fucking kidding me with this Tweet? I was all set to write about Temple’s and Penn State’s big weekends winning a conference whose acronym I still don’t know and not getting selected for the championship series or whatever it’s called, but now I’ve got to stop my praise and pivot to point out that Villanova, who THROTTLED once competitive and respectable St. Joe’s, will become the number one team in the country today. That doesn’t warrant a mention. Someone explain to me how they aren’t, by far, the most successful and best college program in the state, region and maybe country right now, and they can’t even crack a Tweet by the local sports morning program? Fuck outta here. Buy a shirt— it will arrive in time for Christmas:

voila_capture-2016-11-18_03-41-14_pm

But hey, I’m a reasonable guy, and I too think it’s time to give Penn State and Temple their due. Especially Penn State. They got jobbed, somehow not jumping ahead of Ohio State despite winning the Big 10 and beating them head-to-head. Here’s CBS Sports trying to justify why they didn’t get in:

Another theory: Conference championships are meaningless since Penn State won the Big Ten and beat Ohio State yet got left out. Except … 11 of the 12 playoff teams so far have won their conference and none of them had two losses like Penn State.

And that one team to not win its conference? OHIO STATE! That example literally works directly against the point it’s trying to make.

Anyway, congrats to the NITTANY LIONS!

And then there’s Temple. Wait a minute, Temple beat Navy to win it’s conference championship. NAVY?!?!?! It’s worse than I thought.

You know what, screw this impartial bullshit. Temple football is the epitome of the sort of mediocrity that gets championed in Philly and holds us back from being winners. For real, let’s parse this bullshit from hall of fame reader (@PhillyPartTwo):

Have a football and basketball team ranked and a goalie on the Blackhawks. Yes, the football team won its slop conference and eeked into the top 25 as a consolation prize. The basketball team… well, they too are about to eek into the top 25. Cool. And the goalie on the Blackhawks is essentially the script of every Disney movie ever, which is fine. I’m not hating, but let’s not pretend any of these things are remotely on the level of what Villanova basketball is doing right now.

Speaking of the goalie, this is a cool story!

From the Chicago Tribune:

Take Eric Semborski, a 23-year-old who last played club hockey at Temple. Semborski was working Saturday morning at the Flyers’ practice facility doing his job running leagues for kids of all ages.

Then he got a phone call from somebody on the Flyers. He wasn’t sure who it was.

“Go home and get your stuff,” Semborski said he was told.

“What was happening?” Semborski thought.

Semborski was put on alert he might be pressed into action under the NHL’s wonderfully quirky emergency backup goaltender rules. The Hawks needed one Saturday when Corey Crawford had an appendectomy at an area hospital after he felt ill Saturday morning.

Per NHL rules, teams are allowed to sign a backup goaltender, who can be almost anyone. The Hawks, though, couldn’t sign goaltender coach Jimmy Waite because, as a former professional, Waite’s salary would have counted against the cap and the Hawks had no room.

They needed an amateur who would cost nothing and with the Flyers’ help they found Semborski, who was pressed into duty. When Semborski saw a Chicago area code pop up on his phone, he said, he knew this was for real. “Someone named Tony” had called him — Hawks’ senior director of team services Tony Ommen.

“I seriously had to take my skates off from coaching and just come (Wells Fargo Center) as fast as I could,” said Semborski, who said he got the call only two hours before the game. “I still couldn’t believe it was happening as I was walking in.

From CSN Philly:

“I was at work, at the rink in Voorhees just coaching,” Semborski said. “My boss called me and I missed it. I walked off the ice and started talking with someone from the Flyers, he started asking me, ‘Where’d you play hockey, what’s your playing history?’”

Semborski was confounded.

“I didn’t even know what he was getting at,” he said. “I asked, ‘Why are you asking me this?’ And he said, ‘Oh, Chicago needs a goalie.’ I just lost it. He said, ‘Go home, get your stuff and if they’re going to use you, they’ll call you.’ I left right away.

“I was like, OK, this probably isn’t going to happen, there’s no way.”

Ten minutes later …

“I’m in the truck and I got a call from Chicago,” Semborski said.

Who was it?

“I just know his name’s Tony,” Semborski said. “That’s all I know.”

How the heck did the Chicago Blackhawks, winners of three Stanley Cups since 2010, find a regular, hard-working guy living in Manayunk to be their reserve netminder?

“No idea,” Semborski said, still in awe talking after the game outside the locker rooms. “I think it had something to do with me working with Snider Hockey, working at Voorhees. They asked around and people just threw my name out I guess. I really don’t know how it happened. I’ll have to get to the bottom of that and thank some people. I have no idea who gave them my info, but whoever did, thank you, because it was awesome.”

What I want to know– where did he park when he got to the arena?

Jay Wright is such a goddamn gentleman:

Bang.

The Eagles reportedly want to sign DeSean Jaccson:

The Philadelphia Eagles are likely to pursue a reunion with Washington Redskins wide receiver DeSean Jackson during the offseason, sources told ESPN.

Multiple teams believe that Jackson, who will be an unrestricted free agent after the season, could return to Philadelphia. The Eagles would benefit from the addition of a speedy deep threat, and Jackson and Eagles coach Doug Pederson are big admirers of each other, sources said.

You talk about re-chasing old glory. D-Jac hasn’t caught more than five balls in a game since Week 1, he has only two games over 100 yards, and three touchdowns, on a high-powered Redskins offense. To say that he’s lost a step would be an understatement. I’m embarrassed for Jeffrey Lurie, Howie Roseman and Doug Pederson that they’re even linked to this.

Well this is scary.

This may be the worst designed website I have ever seen.

Everyone is worried about Carson Wentz’s mechanics:

That’s the common theme in the assessments of multiple NFL personnel evaluators who say Wentz is exhibiting some of the mechanical flaws that he illustrated prior to the NFL draft. And evaluators say they are manifesting in accuracy issues and the length of time it takes for Wentz to deliver the ball after making a decision.

Wentz didn’t seem to agree with such an assessment on Sunday, when he said his mistakes were garden-variety errors that are prone to happen when throwing the football frequently. Wentz made 60 attempts on Sunday and completed 36 passes.

“I don’t think it’s the mechanics,” Wentz said after Sunday’s loss. “You make mistakes. Things happen.”

But a handful of personnel evaluators who spoke to Yahoo Sports over the past week about Wentz’s mechanics said his throwing motion is showing up prominently on film. They also believe it’s leading to some accuracy issues and mistakes. Two issues in particular are sticking out to those who have viewed the rookie quarterback: a long-armed looping windup that needs to be more compact; and an awkward arm position in the middle of his throwing motion that is slowing down his delivery.

One NFC East source likened Wentz’s arm positioning to something from a baseball pitcher. Another evaluator said the rookie displayed “bountiful bad arm angles” during his throwing motion.

“[The] ball is dropped down, turned out, then looped back around,” one evaluator said. “With his long arms and that motion, [it’s] very hard to be accurate. Especially on the move. … [The] inability to get the ball out quick and on time is key.”

You’d almost think he didn’t have quarterbacks as his head coach and offensive coordinator. If Doug and Frank aren’t coaching the quarterback, then…

voila_capture-2016-12-05_08-51-31_am

It’s 2016 and a punter is the coolest guy in the NFL:

The touchdown was good, but that’s one weak-ass snow angel:

The strategy worked:

It’s not officially the baseball off-season until the Phillies sing a reliever who is damn near 40. It’s almost here.

Podcast:

We talk Joel Embiid’s amazing debut, the recent changes at WIP, Double Bird Man, the “We Matter” shirt controversy, and watching NBA League Pass:

The Stepover Episode 17 talks winnable games, Brett Brown criticisms (before the Cavs loss), and some fun Joel Embiid stats:

Number 1 Hockey Podcast Episode 2:

Liberty_ad

Get the all-new Liberty Podcasts app. You can download it on iOS using this link or in the Google Play store using this link.

• 3 Greasy meatballs December 5, 2016 at 9:15 am

We all picked the Eagles to win (like we do every week)
    Angelo, Mikey Miss, SalPal

• Cowboy Dave December 5, 2016 at 9:49 am

Glad i didn’t waste time watching the green shit stain eagles game this week.
      Looking forward to watching the division home games like I know their going to.

America’s Team – The Dallas Cowboys – 11-1 – Best record in the NFL!

• Ain't no fan like a cowboys fan! December 5, 2016 at 10:49 am

• Nick Kayal December 5, 2016 at 9:18 am

Enough with the Villanova stuff. It’s just whining right now.
    But, I will say this. They are the best college team in Delco – hands down.

• Slowpoke Rodriguez December 5, 2016 at 9:20 am

Villanova basketball fans are like the middle child, always needing more attention.

• The coffee lady December 5, 2016 at 9:21 am

Doug going love them up tho. Can see Doug, Howie and that windmill pussy Jeffrey having a 3 way kiss under the mistletoe at the Eagles Christmas party this year

• Jeffy Howie Dougie December 5, 2016 at 9:33 am

You mean under one of those 12 candle things.

• PAUL GOD DAMN TURNER December 5, 2016 at 9:21 am

Maybe Nova didn’t get a mention because college basketball wont be relevant till March and college football is at the apex of its season and everyone knows nova is going to dominate again anyway. And eventhough the flyers season is still in its infancy like college hoops, pro sports will always outway college in this town…Just a thought?

• Kyle Scott December 5, 2016 at 9:30 am

That argument doesn’t work when talking about Temple’s meaningless conference win

• Glen Macnow December 5, 2016 at 9:33 am

Meaningless in your eyes. However, they had a nice season and won their conference. It’s new worthy considering the the time of year we are at.

• Slowpoke Rodriguez December 5, 2016 at 9:34 am

funny, yet you want praise for a meaningless big 5 win.

• Angelo lutz December 5, 2016 at 9:43 am

I don’t give a fuck about temple but I’d like to congratulate my man Matt ruhle on covering the spread the last 9 weeks. Won me some nice coin and is the best football coach in Philly

• //\\ December 5, 2016 at 9:57 am

You’re just mad because Villanova didn’t win their conference last year.

• Jack Kraft December 5, 2016 at 11:08 am

I aint a Nova guy BUT they got themselves a NCAA Champ and a WS ring in ’16. Temple? They got a Charry and a bunch of students mugged.

• Unreal December 5, 2016 at 12:28 pm

Seriously? We are talking about a program that just started their season and while they are a great team temple just won their damn conference championship. I have no bone in this as I didn’t go to either school but come one man…nobody in this town cares about college basketball until February. There is no damn Conspiracy.

• Nah Bro December 5, 2016 at 12:41 pm

I know you can’t come to terms with it because it would remove like 25 posts a year of content, but nobody gives a shit about college basketball. That is primarily why Villanova is getting overlooked, especially in December. College basketball is a March gambling event. People in Ft. Worth and suburban Minneapolis are impressed by that Temple team from wherever Temple is that they saw beat Navy on Saturday.

That said, I’ll agree that Villanova is getting less attention than Temple would be if they were the #1 defending champs. Maybe. If it were John Chaney’s team. Dunphy is pretty fucking dull.

• Unreal December 5, 2016 at 1:21 pm

Wow…bias much? Winning your college football conference is not meaningless. Man…you really are petty

• PAUL GODDAMN TURNER December 5, 2016 at 2:10 pm

You also fail to acknowledge the expectations of both teams over the past few years. Nova basketball has been a perennial contender for a long ass time. No news there. Temple football has seen a pretty impressive improvement in their play in only the past two or three seasons after years of being trash.

And more people in this area went to Temple so of course its gonna be covered a little more fervently…id think running this site youd know something about playing to your audience, right?

• ENOUGH ALREADY December 6, 2016 at 9:35 am

I’m a Pitt grad and I have no affiliation with Temple, but this is as ignorant as it gets Kyle. Hardly meaningless for a football program that was on the verge of being cancelled 10 years ago. Yes Kyle, Navy is a top 25 team in college football. So are Houston and South Florida. If you step outside your bubble and paid half as much attention to college football as you do college basketball, you’d know that the AAC was actually a better conference than the Big 12 this year. My one gripe with this city is that people have zero concept or knowledge of the college football landscape. Congrats to Temple, its nice to have a winning football team in this town. Nova football had a hell of a run this year during the legendary head coaches final season. Even though its FCS, the lack of coverage there would have been a more legitimate compliant.

I’ve never seen somebody incessantly bitch about a basketball team (who’s expected to be a #1 seed) not get full blown coverage when said team easily wins a game over a team they are supposed to handle. Used to be a frequent reader, but the Nova whining is turning me off.

• Slowpoke Rodriguez December 5, 2016 at 9:22 am

BREAKING NEWS: Villanova beats St Joes in a meaningless regular season game in December

• Slowpoke Rodriguez December 5, 2016 at 9:24 am

But I guess you didn’t want to mention Villanova losing to South Dakota in the college football playoffs in, the last season for the greatest football coach in school history Andy Talley?

• Kyle Scott December 5, 2016 at 9:31 am

No one cares about Villanova football.

• Slowpoke Rodriguez December 5, 2016 at 9:33 am

no one cares about villanova basketball in march.

• Slowpoke Rodriguez December 5, 2016 at 9:33 am

until march*

• you had it right the first time December 5, 2016 at 9:37 am

see title

• //\\ December 5, 2016 at 9:58 am

Convenient.

• No one cares about Nova basketball December 5, 2016 at 12:14 pm

And you wonder why no one takes this website seriously you whinny little bitch.

• Tr December 5, 2016 at 9:42 am

This Ertz drama is completely overblown…. Wentz was on his way out of bounds so there was no need to make a block. Zero impact on the play… Stop trying to drum up sh”t

• Kyle Scott December 5, 2016 at 10:10 am

Bullshit.

• Tr December 5, 2016 at 10:24 am

Dude look at it again

• Tom Selleck December 5, 2016 at 10:33 am

Kyle would have tried to block a full speed Vontaze Burfict on a play when the QB is running out of bounds

• for who for what December 5, 2016 at 12:33 pm

I don’t get paid to block!

• Unreal December 5, 2016 at 1:51 pm

Bullshit dude…that was a disgrace…what if Wentz decided to cut back? All he needed to do was just stand in his fucking way. That was a pussy move and a disgrace..

• Joe Paterno's Skeleton December 5, 2016 at 9:42 am

I would’ve posted earlier, but I didn’t want to interfere with your weekend.

• IN the spirit of singing 40 year old relievers - December 5, 2016 at 9:46 am

Hope the Eagles sing a couple dbs this off season

• the phillies sing confused me December 5, 2016 at 10:54 am

winner^

• You got AIDS December 5, 2016 at 9:50 am

You poor thing. Not enough Noverrrrrrrrrr hoops love despite winning a national title last year. How insecure you must be. Name me the last conference title Temple football has won? Their biggest claims to fame has been being kicked out of the Big East for being shitty and having a serial rapist as an alum. Yet somehow they’ve managed to have back to back 10 win seasons.

And the fact that you think the AAC is some slap wagon conference shows how absolutely little you know about college football. Navy has been ranked most of the year. Houston has been ranked and curb stomped Louisville and Oklahoma. South Florida was ranked until this week.

• Michael Scott December 5, 2016 at 10:03 am

Boom! Roasted.

• Slowpoke Rodriguez December 5, 2016 at 10:07 am

I mean it’s not that big of a deal. Temple’s defense only held Navy’s offense to 10 points. It’s not like Navy’s offense has been scoring 30,40, 60 or 70 points in a lot of their games…

• Newsflash December 5, 2016 at 10:22 am

Kyle knows very little about ALL sports.

• went to poundtown with pistachio girl December 5, 2016 at 10:29 am

he knows who are hottest male athletes are.

• Bee December 5, 2016 at 9:50 am

RIP chip Kelly’s dad

• Tom Selleck December 5, 2016 at 10:30 am

if i was employed at BOB or any local sports media program, i would go out of my way to not mention Nova to read you bitching and moaning about not getting enough attention. St Joes when Nova plays them = respectable. St Joes when they play anybody else = joke.

• Serious Question(s) December 5, 2016 at 10:34 am

Why the hatred for Temple football? It reads of jealousy because they are getting coverage instead of Villanova basketball, but that can’t be the reason. Right?

• William Rhodes December 5, 2016 at 11:18 am

It’s next level trolling, and it snagged you.

• Tom Selleck December 5, 2016 at 10:35 am

also, your wet dream head coach says he doesnt care about being ranked #1 and you fawn all over him for it. local sports coverage doesnt make a big deal out of it and you’re mad at them?

• FirstTimeSemiLongTime December 5, 2016 at 10:40 am

Regarding Temple/Nova/Philly…………..just chill out man.

• Boring Bob Ellis and Mayes December 5, 2016 at 10:42 am

So you complain about the lack of attention for Villanova by the media. But you don’t even acknowledge the Flyers winning 5 in a row including thay win against the Blackhawks on saturday.

• how bout dem fly-guys? December 5, 2016 at 10:54 am

Shows photo of Flyers at beginning of post, and then doesn’t provide coverage of said Flyers, choosing instead to bitch about Nova not getting mentioned in a tweet. smh

• the phillies sing confused me December 5, 2016 at 10:42 am

edit much?

• Wait a minute... December 5, 2016 at 11:12 am

My family went to the Flyers-Predators game in Nashville, said it was great.

What’s not great? Eagles. Boom! That was just some next level analysis right there.

• Unreal December 5, 2016 at 1:57 pm

Second level thinking. Don’t like Mikey hear you or he’ll go to the almost unheard of 3rd level..

• Baby it's cold outside December 5, 2016 at 11:54 am

Carson Wentz. The North Dakota Tim Tebow.

• Right now the Flyers are the best team in the NHL December 5, 2016 at 12:00 pm

They look like a team that is headed deep into the playoffs. Embiid is poised to become the best player in the NBA over the next three years. When you have the first or second best player you eventually win championships.

• get a clue December 5, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Really? How man championships did Barkley, Ewing, AI win?

• Kyle Scott December 5, 2016 at 7:12 pm

Who’s Al?

• Bob December 5, 2016 at 12:18 pm

Your lack of college knowledge, including how the playoff works and how good Navy is, is disturbing.