John Middleton Just Threw Down The Gauntlet at Joshua Harris’ Italian Leather Clad Feet

Kyle Scott - April 20, 2017

This is just what I needed, today, the 1,086th day since a Philly team has won a playoff series (F!)– John Middleton and his billionaire hair on the WIP Morning Show, which thankfully posted a video so we can all see Middleton’s rich-ass locks in their rich-ass glory. HE JUST WANTS TO WIN:

“The most important reason professional sports teams exist is to win. And if you’re not aiming to win, then you really don’t belong owning a sports team in my opinion… but I’m not gonna give you some pablum(!) that you have to go through a process.”

I predict he’ll kill a man, maybe several, if he doesn’t win a World Series by 2020. He is the lone Phillies executive who cares not about your fanciful nostalgia and just wants rings. In fact, I’d be shocked if he hasn’t already started tampering with Bryce Harper, Manny Machado and Mike Trout by sending them singing stogie-grams carrying cigar boxes full of unmarked bills. I mean, this is a guy who made his money in BIG TOBACCO. You think he gives a shit who he hurts or what rules he breaks en route to another WFC? No way. Not one bit. Hell, he just threw the gauntlet down at Joshua Harris’ feet with that process dig. Fact-check: Middleton is richer than Harris. None of that cute private equity shit– Middleton deals in raw, unfiltered cigar smoke. Harris cowers at the mere thought of such brute-force capitalism. I don’t know why, but somehow I just turned this into a showdown between two billionaires. WHO WILL WIN FIRST? I like the direction the Sixers are heading, but somehow my money is on Middleton. I’m convinced he will buy the trophy – like literally purchase it from Major League Baseball – before he lets the Yankees get another one. I love this guy, so much so that I’m not even gonna blog about all the bodies that turn up in his wake as he machetes through professional sports in search of a championship. Hey Gris, if you’re not doing anything constructive, run into the living room and get my stogie!

UPDATEhere: You can listen to the full interview .

• steve jeltz April 20, 2017 at 9:14 am

is dave zango still dating jillian mele?

• steve jeltz April 20, 2017 at 9:15 am

is dave zangaro from csn still dating jillian mele?

• Bill Giles April 20, 2017 at 9:17 am

Could you please repeat that?

• John Middleton aka the new George Steinbrenner April 20, 2017 at 10:10 am

Wake me up in 2021, when the Phillies have both Bryce Harper and Mike Trout, signed sealed delivered to their opening day roster.

• Baseball George April 20, 2017 at 12:53 pm

Phillies owners are is the biggest con men going you fucking dope.

It cost money to win. 2011 Phils won 102 Games. 2011 Payroll was around $180 M but the Phillies lost abot $11 M in revenue due to the high payroll.

Phillies owners said fuck that and have been slashing payroll every year since 2011 and started making money. Phillies owners made $88 M but finished 24 games out. They care about MAKING FUCKING MONEY. That is their #1 Goal.

Open your eyes and see whats really going on nitwit

• Bill Giles April 20, 2017 at 9:16 am

Nice belt!

• Von Hayes April 20, 2017 at 9:18 am

Middleton is a cheap fuck. He’s printing $$ and can’t even sign or trade for a Chris sale type of ace

• Philly75 April 20, 2017 at 10:28 am

Pay attention.

• Baseball George April 20, 2017 at 12:56 pm

They made $88 M in revenue last year.

Their outfield was Bourjos,Goedell, Herrera .

Does that sound like they are trying to Win at All Ciosts?

• CKCP April 20, 2017 at 2:02 pm

Sign guys like that when you are ready to compete — which they aren’t yet. What good does signing Chris Sale now do? You are still going to stink up the Bank.

• I think I orgasmed to close to a guy April 20, 2017 at 9:18 am

Now it is really awkward.

• Got my press Credential for the draft this morning. April 20, 2017 at 9:19 am

And I’m not even a member of the media.

• Bobby "inside the park hr" Dernier April 20, 2017 at 9:22 am

Middleton better buck up and sign that China man nip who is the gook babe Ruth

• WS April 20, 2017 at 12:15 pm

dude, chinaman is not the proper nomenclature. asian american, please.

• King of all GMs April 20, 2017 at 4:44 pm

The chinamen is not the issue here

• What the fuck is going on with these surveys? How many times do I have to tell you I'm a 65+ female April 20, 2017 at 9:23 am

?

• Scott From Barrington April 20, 2017 at 12:59 pm

Bsed on these survey results if Kyle ever does ever get a sponsor its probably going to be for Depends or Yeast Infection ointment.

• Anyone know where the local radio hosts stand on drafting Mixon? April 20, 2017 at 9:28 am

I haven’t heard much about it

• CB Veteran April 20, 2017 at 10:10 am

FFS, Rob & Harry are talking Joe Mixon again – second day in a row. Today’s stellar topic is “What would you do if the Eagles drafted Joe Mixon?” I would light my car on fire and kick my dog. Wtf do you think I would do, I would say “meh” and go on with my life.

Side note: Really need that podcast Kyle.

• John Middleton aka the new George Steinbrenner April 20, 2017 at 10:12 am

More like talking Joe Mixon, for the 40th day in a row.

• Darley Green Resident April 20, 2017 at 9:40 am

What’s PhillyKelly’s deal? Seems pretty hot and lowkey thicc.

• Stop Trying to Be Deadspin April 20, 2017 at 9:41 am

“BIG TOBACCO”

Jesus could you copy Deadspin any more Kyle? Seriously. It’s embarrassing

• Can't Cure Stoopid April 20, 2017 at 10:55 am

Don’t forget the Ringer that’s every young woke progressive self hating young white man’s favorite site for sports these days. Kyle would probably tell us all day long how great Drugs are though and how they should be legal. Im going to hell I guess for the Phillip Morris stock I own. I mean people can’t make decisions for themselves or anything. They were duped into smoking those cigarettes in the 21st century. Nobody knows at all by now how awful cigarette smoking is! Its a freaking riddle rapped in an enigma.

• Anthony L Gargano - Radio Bitch April 20, 2017 at 9:42 am

Avoid sports radio at all costs tomorrow. Guaranteed W/L shows all day. All these loser fat out of shape radio hosts will go from playing GM to playing psychic thinking they know in fucking April how the season will go

• The Dodgers and Phillies Have No History April 20, 2017 at 9:49 am

I guarantee most (especially Gargano, Ellis, John Ritchie and Cataldi) have the Eagles going 13-3 next season because the poor man’s Andy Daulton at QB, who they worship, have two dudes who can’t wait to sign elsewhere in 2018 to throw to.

• Newtown Trump Guy April 20, 2017 at 9:47 am

I listened to Mike and Mike on the way into work this morning. I could not take another day of Philly sports talk radio. I caught good NBA playoff talk and NFL draft breakdowns. Much better than hearing opinions on Joe Mixon for the 75th day in a row.

• Here's what you missed April 20, 2017 at 9:51 am

Cuz and baldly nutting over reuben foster

• Anthony L Gargano - Radio Bitch April 20, 2017 at 9:55 am

Remember when the Cuz guaranteed the Eagles would take Derrick Barnett? Last week was Dalvin Cook. A month ago it was Mike Williams. Apparently just changing the players name is enough variety in their shitty programming. Either way its all the same shit every day

• Newtown Trump Guy April 20, 2017 at 10:39 am

Agreed. Absolutely horrible. Honestly, the hosts have no idea how to evaluate talent. They look at mocks and base their opinions off of that. Majority of the time they are talking out of their ass

• Philly75 April 20, 2017 at 10:30 am

I’ve also recently given up on local sports talk. Just complete drek at all hours of the day on both stations. Ray and Glen on weekends is the only breath of fresh air. Can’t even listen to Phillies pre and post game anymore because of Jon Marks – the 40 year old with the mentality of a child.

• TS April 20, 2017 at 11:59 am

I’m with you…can’t listen any more than 5 minutes at a time….haven’t listened to self righteous MM in over two years……..get my headlines here and that’s all I really need…

• Great Post Kyle April 20, 2017 at 9:49 am

Really shows off your critical thinking skills. The Phillies have been one of the worst team in baseball the last 3 yrs and are projected to win like 65 games this year. How is that any different than the results of the 6ers over the same time frame? FFS their big signings this offseason were Clay Buckholz and Howie Kendrick.

• The Dodgers and Phillies Have No History April 20, 2017 at 9:56 am

Exactly, its going to be the same ol’ same ol’ from the Phillies.

Neither Mike Trout nor Bryce Harper will ever be a Philadelphia Phillie.

• holts April 20, 2017 at 10:06 am

Middleton is one of the cheapest owners in mlb. he hasn’t spent any $ in years

• Burger bill giles April 20, 2017 at 11:49 am

He can’t because the Phillies are a small market team.

• Release the survey results April 20, 2017 at 10:14 am

C’mon Kyle, release the data. We could all use a good laugh around here.

• Rather listen to your podcast April 20, 2017 at 10:16 am

Funny how you see people on twitter saying to stop talking about Joe Mixon and the hosts respond, “what should we talk about then, the Phillies?” That is your job! Think of new topics especially when listeners are saying they’re bored with your show. Its amazing to me how lazy sports radio has become.

• King of all GMs April 20, 2017 at 10:22 am

The NBA and sixers ownership is garbage.

Franco and Tommy Joesph are killing the
    Phillies more than their bullpen. I am not wanting a 35 year old 40mil a year trout, Harper, or mucho.

The cubs have the best GM of all time and I think it proves my common sense point for baseball. There is no tanking, just fucking draft properly. Sign solid complimentary pieces when you can and keep stocking that bullpen.

• As usual E s k i n trying to influence the Birds to not take Mixon April 20, 2017 at 10:28 am

Interjecting his character over talent comment. I’m am so tired of this guy’s fucking agenda.

• Publius April 20, 2017 at 10:42 am

It seems the program managers at 97.5 are hell-bent on self-destruction and listener apathy/loss… You think someone at a one of the pre-show meetings this week would say, “hey, what do we have to lose – let’s mix it up and totally avoid the Mixon/14th draft pick topic today?”

I tune in for 30 seconds a day periodically, just to see if by some miracle the Cuz Bo, Rob E and Mike would be interested in something else, but alas Captain Fila/Sergent Delco/Mr Missanelli disappoint again and again.

Kyle, your podcast better deliver!

• Marco Esquandolas April 20, 2017 at 10:45 am

Kyle, what the hell has this guy done for you to crown him already? He’s just another owner with deep pockets that has rubes under him who will somehow manage to screw this up (see Clay Buchholz). Thank god hes not touting the “trust the process” bs.

• Can't Cure Stoopid April 20, 2017 at 11:02 am

The Philles are 3-5 years away from having a chance at making the play-offs. Its sad really. For 5 five years of excellence there will be 10 of teh suck. Middleton is delusional.

• TS April 20, 2017 at 12:07 pm

easy for him to say, but baseball could never get away with a tanking mentality, first of all 162 games is a LOT of losing on purpose, second, there are no guarantees that a #1 pick would be the franchise savior. In basketball, you only have 5 players on the court, so one true superstar (Lebron, Kobe, Duncan, Shaq, etc) can set a team up for 10 years, so while it does suck, a tank is sometimes the only way to get better. The Sixers are not alone in tanking. They just made it way too obvious. That is why they came up with the draft lottery….teams tanked all the time in the NBA.

• Houston Rockets April 20, 2017 at 12:50 pm

Trading Moses, then drafting Sampson and Olajuwon B2B was the reason the NBA lottery was invented.

• SH April 20, 2017 at 2:03 pm

Why all the middleton love from Kyle?