RADIO WARS: Jon Marks Is Moving To Afternoons

WIP press release:

CBS RADIO Philadelphia’s SportsRadio 94WIP announced today that Jon Marks will begin co-hosting afternoons 2:00 to 6:00 PM alongside Ike Reese effective Thursday, November 16, 2017.  Marks is currently the station’s evening host, 6:00 to 10:00 PM, a role he’s held since February 2017.  Additionally, Joe Giglio will host evenings from 6:00 to 10:00 PM and anchor week-day Phillies pre-game and post-game coverage. Giglio has hosted every daypart on WIP, most often at night and on the weekends.

“I’m really excited to be part of the station I grew up listening to,” said Marks. “I’m thrilled to be able to work alongside Ike Reese, a guy I admired on the football field and have such respect for as a radio host. What a great time to get started as the Eagles and Carson Wentz have their eyes on the Super Bowl.”

No real surprise here. My guess is WIP was left scrambling to fill the role mid-football season, and Marks made the most sense.

He will replace Chris Carlin, who is going back to New York and WFAN to co-host their Afternoon show in December.

Somehow, Ike Reese keeps his role as a prominent host in a major sports market. THERE’S A BAND:

• Boom November 14, 2017 at 2:24 pm

Ike gargles forks for breakfast every morning

• Mike hinted that he won't be on radio in 2020 November 14, 2017 at 2:27 pm

Saying he won’t be there when two of our teams have championships in 2020. I always thought Mike was on his last contract. He wants to retire in a warm climate. With the retirements of Francesca, Angelo and eventually Mike the days of the high paid host is over. No more high six figure and seven figure salaries. Francesca was taking down nearly three million a year.

• Trombone Rust November 14, 2017 at 4:59 pm

Good. Get his old, fake, negative ass out of here. Doesn’t deserve to be associated with anything or anybody when the Eagles win a SB here.

• MIKE "EAGLES WILL GO 7 AND 9 AND PEDERSON WILL GET FIRED" MISSKANELLI November 14, 2017 at 8:29 pm

Dude is being a total fraud with all this super bowl talk when he spent all summer talking about the Eagles being at best a 7 and 9 team and Pedersons job most likely on the line. He should go gargle Dougs man marbles to make amends.

• Ol' School Sports Talk Radio Listener November 15, 2017 at 8:18 am

I totally agree! The face of sports talk radio will change starting when Angelo leaves WIP. They will in my opinion struggle to find a replacement for Angelo.I think they will try to keep the other members of the Morning team intact but find another main person to take the lead(I think they will have Marc Farzetta taking the lead role there) If Missinelli leaves 97.5TheFanatic,the station will fall apart at the seems. I think sports talk radio as we now know it has seen it’s best days and after the Eagles/NFL season is over will be replaced with sporadic national radio shows.

• Bob November 14, 2017 at 2:31 pm

Why did they give Sludge a chance at the night shift? or any other role on WIP???

• Bob November 14, 2017 at 2:32 pm

*why DIDN’T they give I mean…

• Rollin blounts and jays November 14, 2017 at 2:40 pm

No, you had it right the first time, sludge is 40 going on 14.

• Big Orange Cat November 14, 2017 at 2:43 pm

Exactly. He belongs on some morning zoo show, if that.

• Skippy November 14, 2017 at 3:35 pm

Correction; Brian Hadad is 51 years old, going on 17.

• Because his voice November 14, 2017 at 2:40 pm

Makes people jump off bridges

• DSDM November 14, 2017 at 2:34 pm

Well, Carlin didn’t last long. Like Marks. Student versus teacher now. Have to be honest. I don’t see that duo doing well against Mike Miss.

• Big daddy graham infomercial show. November 14, 2017 at 2:36 pm

OMG.. This is going to be a serious snoozefest.

• Rollin blounts and jays November 14, 2017 at 2:37 pm

Great so now everyday we’ll talk about your five favorite items at wawa, and complain about having diabetes

• Mikey Miss November 14, 2017 at 3:09 pm

So tedious. The old guys knew something and could talk about it. Get Mac and Mac back

• Justin Case November 14, 2017 at 4:45 pm

Complain about having diabetes? seriously? He doesn’t have your grandmoms diabetes, get educated!

• Trombone Rust November 14, 2017 at 5:02 pm

He had better believe he will have to change up his snoozefest, time-filler BULLSHIT if he’s gonna be in that slot, THIS year. Cuz Ike will bring the excitement, and he needs to encourage it, not snuff it out with his boring shit.

• I'm amazed who turned down NY job on the FAN November 14, 2017 at 2:38 pm

Chris Simms, Max Kellerman. There is a good reason. If you don’t produce ratings in that 1-6 shift you are going to be gone. The station is prepared for a precipitous drop in ratings when Francesca leaves next month. It will be staggering. I don’t think the FAN is prepared for it. They will not hesitate to dump their new crew one year from now if it’s bad. They say the NFL stands for Not For Long. Working in radio is like being unemployed. Your career is measured in months.

• Huh November 14, 2017 at 2:38 pm

“My guess is WIP was left scrambling to fill the role mid-football season, and Marks made the most sense.“

You act like they don’t drive the Eagles topics into the ground year round as it is. Yeah Cowboy hate radio is so refreshing!

• Marc Lawrence’s crappy football picks November 14, 2017 at 2:41 pm

Bring back the Jon and Sean show

• A Marks Brace reunion November 14, 2017 at 2:42 pm

Would have been better than Ike.

• steng November 14, 2017 at 2:47 pm

is marks a 4 for 4 guy?

• Big Orange Cat November 14, 2017 at 2:47 pm

Anything would have been better than this pussy SJW. I instantly turn the radio off when I hear his voice. He is an obnoxious pussy and sounds like a high school kid. Another rabid hockey hater and racist anti-white host on Brett Eskin’s station. Good news for me is that with my schedule, I listen more at night than in the day time. No more Marx for me.

• The fat lady on the train with the loud annoying cough November 14, 2017 at 2:52 pm

Marks wife has some big tits

• baldy's babe November 14, 2017 at 2:57 pm

all the more reason for me to continue listening to Mikey Miss…though it should be noted that is the only time i listen to 97.5 before 6 pm

Toss marks and reese

• Dave November 14, 2017 at 3:14 pm

The Ike era continues and nobody knows why.

• Bob November 14, 2017 at 3:33 pm

agreed, I can’t stand hearing Ike. makes no sense. 2:00 I turn off the station and listen to Stern replay or podcasts while at work.

• John Innes November 14, 2017 at 3:14 pm

Miss me yet?

• Jilly’s Side Piece November 14, 2017 at 8:13 pm

I do, so I started listening to Yo Josh, which is better in 25 minutes than any of these shows are in 4 hours.

• 97.5 Update November 14, 2017 at 3:34 pm

The moment Mikey Miss walks out of the 97.5 studio is the same moment Tony Bruno walks back in.

• William Rhodes November 14, 2017 at 3:55 pm

These radio wars posts used to get hundreds of comments. What’s happened to the site? Too many posts so the comments get spread out?

• WIP Insider November 14, 2017 at 4:13 pm

Real talk.

Ike still has a job cause one day Spike pushed his “brother card” a little too hard and called a certain ex player a dumb n*gger in front of Ike and is afraid that if he fires Ike he will get sued.

• Trombone Rust November 14, 2017 at 5:05 pm

Yea, I’m sure that happened.

• Trombone Rust November 14, 2017 at 5:08 pm

What they need to do is get Harry Mayes to quit 97.5, call Tony Bruno, get the same producer from their show a few years back… and give them drive time on WIP. I want Winners!

• Ike mush mouth Reese November 14, 2017 at 5:30 pm

Lemme Axe you a question

• I always thought he mispronounced Heritages November 14, 2017 at 6:24 pm

Because when you say the word Heritage it doesn’t sound like Heritages but he pronounced it right. My favorite still was Sonny pronouncing a Prostate exam as a Prostrate exam. I assure you the two words have a totally different meaning.

• Shart Shartveit November 14, 2017 at 7:13 pm

You must have an awesome life.

• B November 14, 2017 at 5:51 pm

Ike actually seemed decent when he had Barkan as a partner. Mick was so bad with his Hebrew Ebonics that Ike couldn’t help but look good. When they paired him with Carlin, all that changed. Carlin wasn’t great and I only heard him for about 45 minutes total, in all his time here, but he was a legit radio guy and that just exposed Ike badly.

• Crazy Joe Davola November 14, 2017 at 6:18 pm

All I hear when Carlin talks is LLoyd Christmas’s Most Annoying Sound in the World. See ya! Sucks Ike will still be on though

• Everyone can say what they want but this was always in the works November 14, 2017 at 6:11 pm

There is no way Jon left the Fanatic to work a 6-10pm shift on the other station unless he was promised the afternoon shift. Why would you leave the morning shift even if you weren’t exactly getting along with the Cuz for less pay to work the 6-10pm shift. Plus from April till October you have this weird schedule due to Phillies games. Ever since Mike announced he was leaving over a year ago the FAN was talking about Chris being the leading candidate. He used to produce Mike and the MadDog and he was working on SNY on the Loudmouths TV show. After what happened to Carton the FAN begged Mike to stay on another two years and he refused. Chris was saying he was never leaving Philly. That was total BS. He always had the FAN job in mind. It’s the best sports radio shift in the country. I’ll bet they doubled his salary what he was making here. Not that big of deal because the cost of living is enormous in New York. Josh was earning around $150,000. That’s what he stated in podcasts. You can pretty much figure out that Chris was getting the same maybe a bit more so in NYC he well earn around $300,000. They have to pay the other two people with him. More teams to talk about and amount of calls you get in NY is enormous. Mike was giving callers about one minute to make their point if that. Marks is happy. Now he can compete against his former mentor

• 975 inside her November 14, 2017 at 6:29 pm

Marks did not take a pay cut when he left 975. He wasn’t making anything and then they lowballed him on a contract renewal. Cuz and Mike Miss are the only ones making money at 975.

• Had to be offered more at the Fanatic than WIP pays for a 6-10pm shift November 15, 2017 at 3:19 am

Do you know that Rhe@ earns about as much as they pay the Cuz. It’s the old rising tide theory. Angelo brings in such good money for the station that everybody eats on the morning show.

• how is jaws a legend in philly? November 15, 2017 at 7:02 am

Everybody about to be hungry when Angablow retires.

• 975 inside her November 15, 2017 at 7:50 am

Not with Cuz taking all the money and making sure his girlfriend and producer got paid too. The show had too many people to feed with poor ratings.

• Ol' School Sports Talk Radio Listener November 15, 2017 at 8:21 am

They won’t be when Angelo leaves! Talk radio in general doesn’t generate the cash that it used to!!

• Mifflin November 14, 2017 at 8:33 pm

Bring back josh fucking innes

• EVERY sports fan who just learned Marks will be hosting afternoons November 15, 2017 at 12:21 am

Noooooooooooooo! Still better than Hollis Thomas though.

• Dog November 15, 2017 at 11:53 am

These radio stations are idiots. First 97.5 loses its best talent (Marks and Joe D) and then sticks its remaining best talent on the bench (Shandler). Then WIP sticks its best talent (Joe D and Marks) with two ex jocks that suck at radio.

• CAN'T STAND THIS November 15, 2017 at 2:23 pm

IKE JUICE!!!!

• Joe Hoagie November 15, 2017 at 7:44 pm

This show sounds insufferable. I wanted Josh Innes run out of town and god damn it I am sorry, everything since has been garbage.