Jahlil Okafor Says He Was “Dying” to Play While Sixers Sought a Trade Partner

Photo Credit: Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports

Jahlil Okafor is the latest athlete to tell his story on the Player’s Tribune. It’s a lengthy and interesting read.

For context, you probably know that the athletes don’t actually write these stories. They do a lengthy interview, which is more of a conversation, and a ghostwriter puts everything together. John Boruk mentioned this a while back and got blasted into the high heavens for it. I’m not sure what was up with that. I think Flyers fans feel like Boruk has something against Shayne Gostisbehere, hence the backlash.

Anyhow, Jah’s story is called, “Jahlil Okafor should be on your radar RIGHT NOW!!!,” a reference to the emails his father wrote to college athletic directors back in 2009.

He talks about the emotional loss of his mother at age nine and his ensuing move to Chicago’s South Side. He describes playing his dad one-on-one and the attention he received as a six foot tall fifth grader. There are a lot of detailed personal moments in the write up.

Jahlil also explains his tumultuous exit from the Sixers in a way that shows understanding, yet disappointment with how it all went down:

I just wanted to play basketball — that’s all I’ve ever wanted to do. But I didn’t fit into Philly’s plans. And I totally understood why Coach couldn’t play me. They’re trying to build those guys into a playoff contender — and I wasn’t going to be there when that happened. So it didn’t make sense for them to have me in the rotation.

But, man, it’s still tough. And you still want to play.

It was like everybody knew I was gone … and we were all just waiting for it to happen.

Okafor admits that he needed to improve his defense and rebounding, two areas identified by the coaching staff and fan base as areas of concern.

He also talks about the gut-wrenching feeling of sitting on the bench while the rest of teammates were energetic and enthusiastic about the present and future:

Those guys, they’re getting hyped up to play some big nationally televised game. And I’m sitting there in a suit … dying inside. Dying to throw a jersey on. Dying to lace up a pair. Dying to have a basketball back in my hands. Because all of these years later, still, being on that court playing ball … whether it’s our driveway in Oklahoma, or the open gym at Rosemont Elementary, or an NBA arena … that’s still my sanctuary. Ever since I was nine years old, you know, that’s … where I go.

And then it all gets taken away, and, man — what can you do?

Check it out. It’s worth a read.

• DSDM January 9, 2018 at 10:17 am

I am rooting for him. Not a good fit for what the Sixers are trying to do. Glad to see he understands the need to improve. In spite of everything, he had a decent rookie year which is now easy to forget.

• esports are the future January 9, 2018 at 10:34 am

We have Shang Tsung and Sub-Zero we don’t need a vegan Kano

• Mike Miss, Leader of the Black Community January 9, 2018 at 10:48 am

So what’s the deal with the Mike Miss show? Is Nat Egg a permanent producer? Because they had that other guy Tyrone on too.

• bruno laugh January 9, 2018 at 11:30 am

Now that the show is going on TV as well, they need her to be eye candy. At least she can talk sports a little, but she’s afraid to say anything polarizing or offer much of an opinion. When she does talk, she just toes the line. Afraid to get ripped, maybe. The show is the same with or without her. For as dumb as he is, Shander speaks his mind, even if it’s mostly awful.

Still no idea why the are putting the show on TV? I’d argue the bulk of Mike’s base is at work all day. I doubt you gain anything with the move, but they must have done this for some reason.

• Ron Bowman is a dumb ape January 9, 2018 at 12:17 pm

Pairing Mike with Tyrone Johnson is a terrible idea. Unlistenable.

• Nat is not producer, Tyron is January 9, 2018 at 12:42 pm

Glad Andrew was sent shipping back to midday show. Natalie is nothing more than a Pom-Pom girl. She is just there to indulge Mike in social media bullshit like what the latest Celebutard is up to. She turns the show into Inside Hollywood. None of Mike’s core listeners care about that crap.

• Nick steng January 9, 2018 at 10:55 am

Jah loves playing the victim card

• EG January 9, 2018 at 12:01 pm

Last Night
    BENCH MIN FG 3PT FT OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF +/- PTS

J. Okafor C 10 1-3 0-0 0-0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 -4 2

• Mr Bojangles January 9, 2018 at 2:35 pm

Both Okafor and Noel are straight up stiffs. Out of league before 30.