Which One of These Tweets Is Dummer?

Welcome to the post-mortem, the day where second-guessing and I told you sos are aplenty.

First up, Kevin Callahan, of whom I’ve never heard. He knows. He knows the true path to winning an NBA championship started five years ago. The Process? No, not quite, peon. It required perfect drafting, duh. Behold, wisdom:

Balls.

Noteworthy: Adetokunbo* was drafted 15th in 2013, passed on by literally half of the association (Sixers twice, actually). The Cavs also drafted Anthony Bennett first overall, so IMAGINE HOW GOOD that team would’ve been the last five years had they been so omniscient on the Greek Freak.

Booker was drafted 13th in 2015– passed on by 12 teams. Callahan also missed the obvious Terry Rozier dig. He was drafted two picks later.

And the Tatum takes have been established and firmly placed in the public record.

This is the worst sort of sports journalism– second guessing draft picks five years later, especially when said picks were never really in the conversation in the first place. It wasn’t like the Sixers were wavering between Giannas and Nerlens or Booker and Okafor. We can nitpick those picks to do death, but that sort of best-talent-available drafting is also what allowed the Sixers to wind up with Embiid.

Don’t worry, it gets better, or worse, or something:

This implies there are absolutes in the drafting process, that somehow there is the right answer waiting out there for some GM, and that with more time, they’ll be able to find it. While that notion is true to an extent, players develop differently. For every mid-round Giannis or Booker there are a dozen Sam Dekkers. I’m not here to debate drafting Okafor and Noel – obviously, good arguments can be made against it – but Callahan is living in some fantasy world where the Sixers stuck the landing on every pick for the last five years. Why stop there, Peter Pan? What if they drafted John Stockton in 1984? Or DeMarcus Cousins in 2010. Or Jimmy Butler in 2011. Or Draymond Green in 2012. This is a moron’s exercise that never ends.

*At first blush, it would appear that Callahan misspelled four of the six names in his Tweet. But hilariously, he actually got Giannis’ original Nigerian name (he looked it up, no doubt), while whiffing on relatively easy – but tricky! – Jayson Tatum, Jahlil Okafor and Markelle Fultz names. A symphony of ineptitude.

Jackass number two: Howard Eskin.

The rookie needs to improve for the team to truly contend for a title. Now that’s the sort of observation that will get you two hours of airtime on Saturday morning radio.

• Pizza guy mike May 10, 2018 at 10:00 am

Thanks embiid for ruining my plans Friday . So much pussy would have been out if he hit that easy layup & they won

• Reality May 10, 2018 at 10:03 am

P would have been out for sure, but your plans did not change at all….a date with your right hand

• Stu's Spies May 10, 2018 at 10:12 am

What up with Molly Sullivan? It appears she is no longer married? She changed her name back and has been all over town.

Anyone?

• Maybe will get lucky and she will move back to Vegas May 10, 2018 at 1:49 pm

I’m sick of these sideline reporters. They interrupt the game.

• Eagleye5 May 10, 2018 at 10:12 am

Are people this dumb? If they make those picks, they never land Simmons. End of story.

• Ham Porter May 10, 2018 at 10:32 am

EXACTLY! Let alone even picking high enough to draft Booker or Taytum

• JB May 10, 2018 at 10:49 am

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Where are all of the Sixers have nothing to worry about posts, Kyle?! You loser.

And this kills the Philly Under Dogs, Hungry Dogs run Faster bull shit, right?!?!

Favorites to win the series. Favorites to win every game…… Knocked out in 5. BOOM.

• Kyle Scott May 10, 2018 at 11:39 am

It actually proves the Hungry Dogs Run Faster thing.

• BC May 10, 2018 at 10:51 am

Simmons didn’t play great but that +/- stat can be misleading. Last night Simmons was a -13 and Redick was +11. Does anyone think Redick played that much better than Simmons?

• Steve Hauling May 10, 2018 at 10:54 am

Yes, I do.
      Simmons was brutal. All Series.

• Reality May 10, 2018 at 12:14 pm

At least he was better than fucking Fultz who can’t even get on the floor…FUCK THE FUCKING PROCESS

• Dummer May 10, 2018 at 10:54 am

seriously dude?

• Facts May 10, 2018 at 11:01 am

I like and I root for Ben. I think he’s going to be a stud, I really do. But man, he was BAAAD. All series. He cost us 3 games.
    I venture to say that if Simmons has been injured or couldn’t play against the Celtics for some reason, we’d be leading the series 3-2 right now, or maybe even have closed it out last night.
    The combination of his unwillingness to shoot, his poor shooting when he finally has to shoot, his being lost on defense, his picking up the ball on dribble looking to get rid of it like it’s a hot potato, his terrible turnovers at the worst possible times, and his horrendous mistakes (like not pulling down the rebound when up 1 in game 3), absolutely cost us the series.

• Kyle Stinks May 10, 2018 at 1:44 pm

Runs a blog….can’t spell DUMBER.

• Look at me promoting my bicycle ride for Austism May 10, 2018 at 1:48 pm

Now the football team will love me and praise me. I promote charities so players will take selfies with me. I’m trying to prove I’m still relevant.

• dumm and dummer May 10, 2018 at 2:49 pm

thats all I got today

• Kevin Kinkead's Hair May 10, 2018 at 6:58 pm

No Kyle…. you my friend, you are the worst of sports journalism…. except referring to you as a sports journalist (or this site as journalism) is downright insulting to any person who’s worked in either field. I’d compare you (as others have) to the online version of a sewer rat…. except thats also degrading to sewer rats (at least they’re authentic and serve some sort of purpose).

I wonder how my owner is going to get all of this pollen out? I look like a loofah.

• bob May 14, 2018 at 2:16 pm

the other part that moron doesn’t take into account is if they had drafted some of those guys, the team would have been better and not in a position to draft other players in successive years …