I needed to bring in a special guest for episode #50 of the podcast, so I reached out to Union legend Sebastien Le Toux, who was good enough to share some of his time.
Le Toux is the franchise’s all-time leading goal scorer and assist provider and recently signed a ceremonial contract to retire as a Philadelphia player. He became the first person to enter the club’s “Ring of Honor” and is a member of Major League Soccer’s exclusive 50/50 club, a group of just 19 players who reached 50 goals and 50 assists during the course of their MLS careers.
We talked about literally everything on the podcast, from Le Toux’s Philly start as an expansion draft selection to his strengths and weaknesses as a player and his favorite goals and teammates to play alongside.
Audio after the jump:
- ceremonial contract and initial retirement thoughts (1:00)
- starting in Seattle (4:15)
- expansion draft and 2010 season (6:00)
- 2011 playoff squad (13:00)
- Bolton trial, Peter Nowak, and the Vancouver trade (18:00)
- playing for the Whitecaps and Red Bulls (21:00)
- Thierry Henry as a teammate (24:00)
- Philly return and 2013 season (27:00)
- 2014, 2015, and the U.S. Open Cup finals (30:30)
- joining the 50/50 club (37:00)
- his weaknesses as a player (39:00)
- what media and fans can do better (45:00)
- media coverage the Union’s place in the city (48:00)
- favorite goals, assists, celebration, teammates (55:00)
We recommend subscribing in Overcast, the best iOS podcast player, and using the Voice Boost and Smart Speed functions, which improve sound quality (for all shows) and speed up small gaps in the conversation. Download Overcast and just search “It’s Always Soccer in Philadelphia” to subscribe.
If you just want to dabble and check out other great podcasts by category, listen over at TopPodcast.com.
If you prefer the more traditional players, here are those links: