Angelo Cataldi is at it Again

via Twitter

I’ll take the bait.

It’s a slow news day anyway.

Angelo writes a weekly column for Philly Voice, or maybe it’s twice a month. I’m not sure. I go over there to read Kempski, Neubeck, and Mullin.

This week’s column is titled, “It’s only preseason, sure, but Eagles have shown they’re far from perfect.” That part of the article is fine but Angelo then goes back to the 24-4 Phillies loss from last week, the first game of the double-header.

At the time, Angelo called the use of Scott Kingery and Roman Quinn as pitchers “disgraceful,” claiming that he was “embarrassed” to be a Philly sports fan the following morning. BWanks sort of shut that shit down – as Negan from The Walking Dead would say – in a story he wrote later that day.

The short explanation is that the Phillies were getting blasted in the first game and needed to save their bullpen for the second game to give them a chance to at least break even on the day.

Not good enough for Cataldi, who writes:

“The fact that the Phillies won the second game did nothing to stifle the rage fans felt the next morning, when complaints by baseball fans overwhelmed the usual flood of football calls after an Eagles game. As he is known to do, Kapler made the situation much worse by opening his mouth.”

Yeah, well, they played like shit in the first one. The rage should have been reserved for the myriad defensive errors the Phils committed that allowed the game to spiral out of control in the first place.

“You guys are going to spin this however you want to spin it, but the fact of the matter is, in the fifth inning when we’re down 11 runs, we started to prepare for the second game,” (Kapler) said. “We used strategy to best position the Phillies to win games. We’re going to continue to do that.”

Correct. The first game was lost. So you put yourself in a position to salvage the second half of the double-header.

Translation: We quit. In the city of Rocky Balboa, Gabe Kapler gave up. This is the same Game Kapler who played on the Boston team in 2004 that staged the greatest comeback, down 0-3 to the Yankees in the ALCS, in baseball history.

That’s the ALCS, not a regular season double-header. It is not the same thing. If Kapler blows every bullpen arm to miraculously erase a double-digit deficit, what exactly is left for the second game? Nothing. They win the first game, then get blasted in the next one. You arrive at the exact same position: one win and one loss.

Plus, everybody know that this Phillies team isn’t an offensive juggernaut. How many times has a club scored 12 or more runs to come back and win a game?

Anyway:

It was an astonishing admission, made much worse by the slow-pitch softball approach of erstwhile pitcher Kingery. What Kapler doesn’t understand — and may never understand — is that Philadelphia sports fans are wired differently than any others. Yes, there was some logic to the manager’s thinking. But not here. You don’t quit in Philadelphia. Ever.

“But not here.”

We don’t use logic in Philly. It’s heart before brain. That’s what he’s saying.

Again, this is not “quitting,” it’s foresight, awareness, common sense – the ability to see the bigger picture and not become blinded by some myopic “never say die” caveman cliche. I give Kapler credit for admitting that they were moving on to game two, instead of trying to save face with some half-assed “we gave it our best shot” quote. He was honest with the fan base and didn’t bullshit his way through it.

Finally:

Equally worrisome for Kapler is the perception that he really doesn’t care how the fans feel, a fatal mistake made by many managers and coaches who have preceded him here. Ultimately, Andy Reid was pink-slipped when his contempt for the paying customers got to be too much for owner Jeffrey Lurie to tolerate. Even a hero like Doug Collins signed his own death warrant when he asked fans to pray for slovenly center Andrew Bynum.

You can’t really care about fan opinions.

Sure, you want everybody to appreciate the team and get on board with the plan, but at the end of the day, it really doesn’t matter what the fuck the fans feel. You’re the coach. You believe in your system, your style, and your process, and when you stray from that, it starts to go downhill. You have to trust yourself more than anything.

Plus, there were a bunch of “fans” that wanted to fire Kapler after the season opener. Now the team is 12 games over .500 and fighting for a playoff spot.

Likewise, there were a bunch of Eagles fans that disagreed with Doug Pederson’s fourth down aggression last season. Guess how that turned out?

I know Angelo is just trolling for callers or readers at this point, and I plucked the low-hanging fruit, but we’ve got to evolve from this bogus blue-collar, lunch pail cliche and show some situational awareness here. There was plenty of logic in what Kapler decided to do on Thursday, and we should appreciate that instead of defaulting to the “Philly tough” fake outrage that we’ve been spewing since 1975.

• John August 20, 2018 at 4:37 pm

Was Gargano truly fired or is he on vacation?

• Mark fartzetta August 20, 2018 at 7:45 pm

Put Cuz in the bagster and get rid of him for good!!!

• Sick of people doubting the Cuz' street cred August 20, 2018 at 9:52 pm

I highly doubt that you have the guts, to say it to the Cuz’ face.

• 4 for 4 since day 1 (all in on baldy) August 20, 2018 at 10:35 pm

They ain’t about that 4 for 4 life. Cuz is our leader and they’re jealous

• STEVE O August 20, 2018 at 8:55 pm

We could only be so lucky. He stinks

• Eagle Shirley August 20, 2018 at 10:33 pm

Does fantasy fest get any females to go?
      How do I get tickets

• ecw August 21, 2018 at 8:06 am

call the cuz show

• Jake from Brooklyn August 20, 2018 at 10:51 pm

Two years ago, I was helping audit a company in downtown Philadelphia. As my co-workers and I were leaving lunch at a deli, I opened the door and accidentally hit The Cuz from 97.5 in the face. He took it pretty well, though, and we had a laugh. He was busting our chops for being yanks fans.
      Great guy

• Kevin Kinkyhead August 21, 2018 at 4:20 am

Jake nobody fucking cares.

• Underscored August 20, 2018 at 4:48 pm

Angelo Cataldi is everything that’s bad about Philadelphia sports fans distilled in to one human being.

• STEVE O August 20, 2018 at 8:53 pm

After all these years I still don’t get him. He riles up the white trash and never watches a game after 6 pm. The $$ he makes is an absolute disgrace. Tony Bruno on 97.5 would beat him in the ratings

• Talk Radio is the worst August 20, 2018 at 4:48 pm

What’s really scary is there a legion of sports fans in our area who believe Cataldi’s schtick. It’s all an act, the outrage, the fandom, the sports rants and people are still listening almost 28 years later. The same goes with Missanelli or Eskin as they just fabricate any topic to get a rise out of fans, and people take the bait. Talk Radio and now Comcast (since they purged everyone good over there except Jim Salisbury and Ray Didinger) are just a bunch of personalities who are no more knowledgeable at sports then any one of us. Do I really care what Ike Reese thinks about the Phillies if he’s not talking football? Do I really care what Mark Farzetta and Amy Fadool think everyday at 5:00? For a great sports town, our outlets to discuss sports is the worst.

• 74 percent August 20, 2018 at 6:38 pm

So who do you care about ??
      Serious question.

• 74 percent August 20, 2018 at 6:49 pm

My bad. Salisbury and Didinger.
      I jumped the gun on you.
      Yes, Angelo has a schtick like ant anf miss.
      I like it though because i came in from the beginning.
      I don’t believe everything he says and i really don’t think he does either.
      I guess i am agreeing with you but he still entertains me more than the other guys.

• Talk Radio is the Worst August 21, 2018 at 8:40 am

I like more serious sports talk (I enjoy guys like Jody Mac more then Mike Missanelli), but I get it that I’m in the minority (hence why guys I like aren’t on Sports Talk Radio anymore). Most sports fans who listen to talk radio want it dumbed down and the conversation just go in circles. How many times do they talk about the same thing regarding the Eagles (remember the whole winter all they talked about was whether they would move up and take Mariotta even though it was never going to happen?). Comcast has changed too as they have dumbed down their programming (admitting in an article they are targeting millenials now), so I stopped watching all of their shows like Daily News Live once they had that idiot Amy Fadool and that bozo Mark Farzetta take over. Instead of Tim Panacchio giving me the inside scoop on the Flyers, I get John Boruk? Derek Gunn on the Eagles? These guys aren’t reporters, they are just talking heads who are cheaper. I don’t even know who the Sixers beat writers is anymore for CSN? Salisbury and Didinger are the only reasons to turn on that channel anymore (although Seth Joyner is good on Postgame too). Cataldi is all schtick and I guess that’s what appeals to people because he’s been #1 for a long time, but it has never appealed to me (except when he was with Brookshirer in the early 90’s when Sports Talk was alittle more serious).

• Amusing how you guys August 20, 2018 at 5:01 pm

Market your site and podcasts as the alternative to sports talk radio…while 50 percent of your content is about sports talk radio.

• Hollis Thomas August 20, 2018 at 9:44 pm

hee hee hee hee good one

• Sir rod August 20, 2018 at 5:29 pm

Who would win in a fight – Angelo’s dirty 30 or cuz’s 4 for 4 posse ??

• Ingy August 20, 2018 at 5:47 pm

Mikey Miss’s stepford fans.

• Fraud August 20, 2018 at 5:37 pm

Cataldi is the worst panderer I’ve ever seen. Utter phony.

• Tough guy joe August 20, 2018 at 5:49 pm

No wonder the Cuz beat him.

• NineOutsorBust August 20, 2018 at 6:02 pm

And trust me, I can’t stand Cataldi as much as the next reasonable, level-headed sports fan. The guys a total tool bag. And I don’t even fully accept his side of the same argument. He’s just a complete dolt and blow hard, with no intellectual substance.

• Ron Bowman is Dumb August 20, 2018 at 6:09 pm

Cuz should be the one whose embarrassed. This is is competition and he barely registers in the ratings.

• Stone cold Steve Austin August 20, 2018 at 6:43 pm

I heard that the Cuz is buying a 13,000 sq ft house in NewTown Square

• Rob E August 21, 2018 at 10:54 am

Probably within walking distance of the new Primo Hoagies

• Huge thank you to all the broads wearing thong bikinis this summer August 20, 2018 at 6:54 pm

97.5 should hire josh Innes

• Not 4 for 4 August 20, 2018 at 6:59 pm

Josh couldn’t do any worse than Cuz!

• Hey Phillies Fans, we're Old Dominion August 20, 2018 at 7:51 pm

By far the worst cuz moment was when he had Eytan rap to the fresh Prince theme song about himself last year. I can’t find the audio but I remeber the one part.
    “He’s a South Philadelphian born and raised, on the ball field is where cuz spent most of his days.”

• Philly sports radio is hot garbage August 20, 2018 at 7:57 pm

I just threw up in my mouth thinking about that.

• Denenberg's Dumper August 20, 2018 at 9:52 pm

I second that

• STEVE O August 20, 2018 at 8:49 pm

Meatball Gargano atteneded St Jude’s Grammar school in Blackwood, NJ and Paul VI High School in Haddon Twp, NJ. Hardly South Phila

• Sick of people doubting the Cuz' street cred August 20, 2018 at 9:49 pm

The Cuz is from the mean streets of South Philly… And ran with the likes of Joey Merlino and Nicky Scarfo Jr.

• popeye the sailor man August 20, 2018 at 7:56 pm

well blow me down…think that had some meaning

• Sean Braces’ gpa August 20, 2018 at 8:10 pm

Did you really say you go to that site to read Kempski? Guy is awful, he doesn’t write articles, he just puts out lists. Expand your horizons broseph

• Dirty 30 for life August 20, 2018 at 8:12 pm

I like when Ang ogles your girls who could be his granddaughter. That’s real entertainment.

• Ron in the Lehigh Valley August 20, 2018 at 8:40 pm

After Phils fans were treated to a particularly excruciating loss yesterday , a man phoned Eytan to say, “Everyone should call in and give one word for that game.”

“What’s your word?” the Eytan
replied.

“Bored out of my mind,” said the caller.

Lol lol lol

• John Ominski August 20, 2018 at 9:58 pm

Cataldi is to sports journalism as the WWE is to professional sports.

• Gene August 20, 2018 at 10:02 pm

Do u wanna get cummed on?

• Took a leak on memories margate bar last summer- sorry Jerry August 20, 2018 at 10:02 pm

Cuz is the John madden of philly
    Mike miss is the radio version of mayor kenney

• Maxie August 20, 2018 at 10:09 pm

I am not sure how far back you go in Philly sports history but during the 2008 season the Phillies came back from a 10 run deficit to defeat the Mets 11-10. Now that was entertainment, not seeing Kingery pitch. You never give up no matter how far behind you are which is what Kapler did. You certainly don’t turn a game into a joke. Analytics overuse has ruined the fun of baseball. I am a senior citizen and I have seen many teams over the years overcome big deficits or at least keep trying too. There were also a lot of doubleheaders at one time. No one “preserved” their bullpen back then. Cataldi is a big phony to be sure, but a lot of what he said is true. It was unfair to give up in front of fans who paid to be there to see the Phillies try their best;

• TS August 21, 2018 at 1:06 pm

was that the first game of a doubleheader too?

• Graph August 20, 2018 at 10:38 pm

If I pay to be a subscriber or whatever can I read something other than sports radio gossip? I miss Kyle Scott for fycks sake.

• Neal's Lesbian Ex Wife August 21, 2018 at 12:26 am

By complaining about Cataldi is giving him the exposure he wants. He is intentionally tweeting out his crazy hot takes to drum up controversy. His comments have gotten so ridiculous lately in an attempt to get listeners fired up and listen/call his show. It is all a publicity stunt.

By tapping into the twitter crowd allows him to reach a younger demo while his old crusty fans live and die with his every word. Great marketing strategy but leads to terrible conversations.

For those who want Cataldi to quit need to ignore his stupid comments. It’s just a game to him. Otherwise you are buying into his crap, driving up his ratings and keeping his lame ass around longer.

• Meat locker guy August 21, 2018 at 7:46 am

The Cuz is awesome today!

• MCW August 21, 2018 at 10:35 am

He was amazing last night!!