Brent Celek is “Leaning Towards Retirement”

Photo Credit: Tim Heitman-USA TODAY Sports

Gotta be honest – I thought Brent did retire after leaving the Eagles organization as a Super Bowl champion.

Apparently not, though he told Jason Martinez and Harry Mayes on 97.5 The Fanatic today that he’s had some offers but is closer to retirement than jumping in with another team:

My take:

Brent should retire. Go out on top as a Super Bowl champion. Finish your career as a one-team guy. Put a bow on a fantastic run and don’t junk it up with one or two years as a backup tight end with the 49ers or Browns or Ravens or whatever.

For what it’s worth, he did put the kibosh on signing with the Cowboys, who need a tight end. Celek said he wouldn’t sign in Dallas even if they offered him ten million dollars.

He was in-studio with the pair for an entire hour today and you can listen to that here:

Super Bowl Champion Brent Celek Joins Mayes and Myrtetus Middays IN STUDIO

• ron burgundy August 17, 2018 at 3:50 pm

Great story. Compelling, and rich.

• SH August 17, 2018 at 4:12 pm

Honestly, I don’t get the whole ‘he should retire cause being a backup is sad’ take. I get that we want a guy to be great and finish on top, but when this is your life for a good 20-25 years, it’s gotta be excruciating to finally admit that you can no longer get it done at the highest level. If it was me, I’d probably pull a Ricky Henderson and try to play (at any level) until I’m 160.

• SH August 17, 2018 at 4:12 pm

And yes, I contradicted myself in the first 2 sentences. Fight me.

• An Inquiring Mind August 17, 2018 at 4:13 pm

Kevin, agree with your take…..go out while on top with having played for only one team. If I could add to that…..go out while still healthy too.

• Anthony "The Cuz" Gargano's Thick Ropes & Hot Loads August 17, 2018 at 4:22 pm

Kinker do you think Celek would make a good midfield player for the Steel? Thinking he could help them run a False 9.

• Fart Hammer August 18, 2018 at 1:34 am

Staying up all night drinking with my bros, we’re tailgating the cuz’s Saturday morning show. We love the fellas Saturday morning show. The cuz represents philly so well on the national broadcast. Everyone loves the cuz!!

• Ban the anthem before sporting events August 17, 2018 at 4:30 pm

I don’t want your indoctrination of patriotism forced down my throat. That seems political and as we know ‘murica just wants footbawwww!!!!

• Go back to your own country August 17, 2018 at 4:36 pm

N i g g a h h h

• comment awaiting approval August 17, 2018 at 4:56 pm

I’m just happy that montco teacher is going to keep his job after kinker tried to get the guy fired for playing make believe

• Gene August 17, 2018 at 5:14 pm

The 1st amendment does not legalize hate speech.

• bubble boy August 17, 2018 at 7:01 pm

the first amendment does not outlaw hate speech

• there's no such thing as "hate speech" August 18, 2018 at 9:30 pm

• meh August 17, 2018 at 5:15 pm

it’s springford. he’s probably an intellectual compared to the rest of his colleagues

• An Inquiring Mind August 17, 2018 at 5:39 pm

Free speech only protects you from the government. It does not protect you from a private entity such as your employer. If it what you say and do reflects poorly upon your employer too, your employer can and probably will terminate you.

• comment awaiting approval August 17, 2018 at 6:10 pm

of course, although thankfully this school didn’t allow itself to be bullied by a mob of people who can’t tell the difference between reality and make believe.

• An Inquiring Mind August 17, 2018 at 7:00 pm

I hear ya and I get the whole “make believe” thing. I would also agree that society has become way too PC and overly sensitive these days. Still, he has to know as a teacher he’s held to a higher standard than most working professionals and he should’ve known that such a persona would eventually bring himself controversy.

• Lexington steele August 17, 2018 at 4:56 pm

Eagles need to sign Dez ASAP. He would be a great fit here. Guys a stud if his qb can hit him.

• Shoulder pads guy August 17, 2018 at 5:13 pm

NO WAY. WE DONT NEED A FRIKIN COWBOY ON THIS TEAM! DEZ IS A BAD LOCKER ROOM GUY. ALL I WANT IS GOOD LEADERS AND GOOD ROLE MODELS FOR MY KIDS.

• Lance bass August 17, 2018 at 5:23 pm

Y’all see the bulge on Mike Miss today when he stood up from his chair? That guy is every bit of 9 inches.

• BBC Lex lol August 17, 2018 at 5:42 pm

You cant fit that hog in anywhere…

• Who’s this sports broad on channel 10? August 17, 2018 at 5:47 pm

I’d like to eat her ass.

• Jamie Apody August 17, 2018 at 8:01 pm

I’m actually on channel 6 and I would like to eat your filthy whole in return

• I want to eat and do a line off Kristen Rodgers big butt August 18, 2018 at 12:01 am

Feel like Celek paid the price for Philly drafting him too early and then never living up to the draft spot, which he should never have been drafted in.
    He good teammate but bad te

• wtfru saying? August 18, 2018 at 6:42 am

He was a 5th round pick. Guess you were doing lines of some pretty good shit last night.

• Lexington steele August 18, 2018 at 6:09 am

I heard that the Cuz fucks

• Fart Hammer August 18, 2018 at 7:25 am

The cuz has a huge member and shoots massive wads on supermodel’s faces. He is the hero of philly and especially south philly. The ladies love him, the men want to be him. Everyone loves the cuz!!

• 4 for 4 meat locker August 18, 2018 at 10:57 am

Cuz was awesome as usual on The Fellas this morning!!!

• A 4 year old boy August 18, 2018 at 11:53 am

Cuz does things to me. They hurt. My butt is bleeding.

• Hey Phillies Fans, we're Old Dominion August 18, 2018 at 12:23 pm

Gonna miss seeing this commercial every 5 minutes

• You laugh but August 18, 2018 at 1:20 pm

The crackers came out in force to see those hilbillies. That was one of their biggest crowds of the year.

• I can't figure out how Philly has that many people who like country music August 18, 2018 at 3:34 pm

The fans pack the stadium every time they offer a free concert with a country artist. Are there pick-up trucks in center city riding around with Cissy and Bud license plates in the rear window. Are there mechanical bulls in all the bars around Rittenhouse Square.

• comment awaiting approval August 18, 2018 at 4:41 pm

outside of a couple guys, the country music of today is pretty bad, but i do go to some shows strictly because of the party scene/women. A lot of drunk girls in cut offs looking to have fun. The downside lately is that the big concerts like Kenny Chesney have attracted way too many frat douches who can’t handle their alcohol and decide to start fights. So i’d imagine most of the people there don’t like country music, just looking for a party.

• Riley Cooper August 19, 2018 at 7:29 pm

What color are you? Cause I’ll fight “you”.. all of “yous”…I mean “y’all” for calling me a frat boy douche.

• white folks stiil like baseball August 18, 2018 at 6:44 pm

Even tho the PRs have taken it over.

• Much respect to deGrom today August 18, 2018 at 3:30 pm

Game is currently pick-em. I wouldn’t bet against the Mets. deGrom is as good as Nola and Nola isn’t pitching today.

• Meat locker 4 life August 19, 2018 at 6:17 am

Sunday’s stink, no Cuz.

• Mr higgins August 19, 2018 at 8:09 am

Well a lookie hea man…I see OJ…and he look real scared.

• al michaels August 19, 2018 at 8:50 am

Just for the record, Peter, that was a totally farcical call.

• peter..5 packs a day...jenning August 19, 2018 at 9:24 am

did he say something in code?

• al michaels August 19, 2018 at 9:29 am

Yes. He said something at the end that is indicative of a certain radio host.

• art higgins August 19, 2018 at 9:39 am

and a babay booie to ya’ll

• Jimmy the Greek August 19, 2018 at 10:10 am

Peter this is Al Michaels. That last call was farcical

• peter..5 packs a day...jenning August 19, 2018 at 9:40 am

thank you,Al we have them on all coasts I guess

• this website August 19, 2018 at 10:04 am

So Brent Celek won’t be doing anything on Sundays either?

• The bastard August 19, 2018 at 3:59 pm