The Phillies’ Win Over the Red Sox Tonight Gives Me Life

PHOTO CREDIT: BILL STREICHER-USA TODAY SPORTS

Listen, the Phillies should have swept this little two-game series with the Red Sox. They should’ve won the first game in Boston when Aaron Nola went eight innings and allowed only one run at Fenway a few weeks ago. If we’re being completely honest, they probably should’ve won all four games they played against the Red Sox, a team that remains 50 games over .500 after losing tonight. After all, Phillies pitchers allowed a total of 10 runs over four games to a Boston offense that has scored more runs than any team in baseball this season:

Red Sox runs per game against the Phillies this season: 2.5

Red Sox runs per game against all other teams: 5.6

I’ve been pretty agitated about the Phillies’ offense lately, and I have some concerns about their ability to sustain a quality offensive effort on a consistent basis moving forward, but whatever. This was a terrific win for a young team that has been going through it lately. Wilson Ramos, my new dad, led the way with a career-best three extra-base hits:

Amazing what happens when a hitter finds the gap a few times for a team that entered tonight 29th in doubles this season.

And how about Hector Neris doing that magic he did with the game on the line in the third inning?

In fact, the entire Phillies bullpen was lights out in a game in which they allowed zero earned runs over six-plus innings. It was integral in allowing the Phillies to overcome a team that entered the night 59-8 when scoring the first run.

Am I annoyed the Braves won again? Absolutely. I’m a little on edge about it, but let me tell you a story. As I was driving home after the game tonight, “I Want to Know What Love Is” by Foreigner came on the radio (I manually played it on Spotify), and I crushed the chorus. Knocked it out of the park. It was like Foreigner’s lead singer Lou Gramm and I were kindred spirits. The emotion of the moment was raw and pure. I felt firm and alive, like anything was possible. Like anything is possible. And while I sort of felt like this team was doomed last night, now I feel strong and confident. I feel reborn. The Phillies are going to win the division.

Sing it with me:

• Mitchie 🔨 🔧🔩 August 15, 2018 at 11:31 pm

Did Bryce Harper, really ask former Phillie Jayson Werth, what it was like, playing in Philadelphia?

• Hooter Stumpfuck August 15, 2018 at 11:50 pm

My prediction: the Phillies finish the season 6 games out. They are running out of gas. Who is Vince Velasquez? The knucklehead from last year who would get 9 Ks in 4 innings but take 95 pitches to do so while giving up 5 runs? Or is he the guy we saw in the first few months of the year. I bet the former. Most of you fuckwads won’t get the analogy but Vince is Charlie from Flowers for Algernon and we are witnessing him descend into retardation again.

• BWanksCB August 16, 2018 at 12:02 am

Daniel Keyes is a solid author.

• Ron Bowman is a dumb ape August 16, 2018 at 9:28 am

Nice analogy. Had to read that book in high school.

• Mr Crowley August 16, 2018 at 12:28 am

Holy shit that flowers analogy is funny as fuck. Man I hate Velasquez.

• Ropes Guy August 16, 2018 at 1:43 am

Staying up all night waiting for the meat locker!! Everyone loves the cuz!!

• If you ain’t 4 for 4 you ain’t shit August 16, 2018 at 6:17 am

The cuz gives me life

• baseball is dead August 16, 2018 at 6:28 am

Phils in 1st, Sawx in town, can’t sell out.

• Gene August 16, 2018 at 7:21 am

Barley half full

• reports of their death have been greatly exaggerated August 16, 2018 at 12:39 pm

@10,000 season tickets…..25,000+ walk ups..definitely not dead…..baseball is more reliant upon their season ticket base than the other sports based on the fact that they have 80 games to sell. People forget that the Phillies team that won the World Series did not sell out every game. The streak of consecutive sell outs began AFTER they won the WS and people started buying season tickets again. Why is that so hard for everyone to figure out?

• Speak N Spell August 16, 2018 at 7:14 am

Gabe Kapler is a freaking programmed ROBOT!

• Hooter Stumpfuck August 16, 2018 at 8:14 am

Agreed. I preferred the novel version over the short story. The book also reminds me of Bill Lyons’ documenting his decline to Alzheimer’s for the paper. It’s a very courageous column but hard to read emotionally.

• 4 for 4 August 16, 2018 at 8:17 am

loving the meat locker talking nova football this morning

• They will find a way to lose to DeGrom and Wheeler August 16, 2018 at 10:37 am

Phils always struggle against bad teams meanwhile the Braves are winning game after game.

• Maxie August 16, 2018 at 2:32 pm

Should have, could have – means nothing. If they should have won, they would have won.