Eagles Friday: Hamstrings, Soft Tissue, and Punt Returners

Photo Credit: Jay Biggerstaff-USA TODAY Sports

Injury questions for Doug Pederson today, so his Friday presser was a bit testy.

The discussion really centered around Darren Sproles’ hamstring injury and setback, plus the decision to waive DeAndre Carter without having another clear cut punt returner on the roster.

Here are the first few questions and answers in their entirety:

In RB Darren Sproles’ case, why has there been so much mystery surrounding his injury and his status?(Zach Berman)

Pederson: Mystery. Has there been mystery?

Q. I guess in terms of how long it would be for him to be out.(Zach Berman)

Pederson: We want to make sure the player is a hundred percent and then we feel good to put him back out there. That’s the thing that we have to decide. A lot of communication even with the player, and to make sure that we’re doing our due diligence by the players, no matter who they are, that they’re healthy before we put them back out there.

Q. Why isn’t Sproles a hundred percent? (Jeff McLane)

Pederson: Why isn’t he? Well, he had a setback this week, but going into this week he was.

Q. For a hamstring strain typically, it’s only a few-week injury. Why is this one taking so long? (Jeff McLane)

Pederson: People heal differently, Jeff. Everybody is different. I’m not a doctor, so I know we’re going to go down this path today, and you’re not going to get a ton from me. I’m just telling you people heal differently. I’ve got an Achilles problem right now, and I’m healing it differently.. (inaudible question). It kind of puts me in a bad mood when I come in here.

Q. Are you optimistic that Sproles will play this year?(Nick Fierro)

Pederson: I am optimistic that he can play, yes, I am. That’s the God’s honest truth.

Q. What kind of information are you getting from the medical staff though, because on Monday you guys released WR DeAndre Carter and thinking, I guess, Sproles is going to return, and now you don’t have a punt returner. Are you getting the information from the medical staff that you hoped to?(Jeff McLane)

Pederson: I’m getting information from our medical staff, I’m getting it from our doctors and I’m getting it from the player. And quite frankly, the bottom line is how the player feels, where is he at in his return to play, and we felt very, very comfortable moving forward to make that decision.

Q. So what happened on the practice field where he had a setback?(Tim McManus)

Pederson: He just had a setback.

Q. Who’s the punt returner going to be? (Jimmy Kempski)

Pederson: I’m not going to disclose that.

Alright.

Moving on with some other notes:

• Sidney Jones’ recovery is going “good, yeah, real good.”
  • Lane Johnson’s knee has responded “good, yeah, real good.”
  • Jalen Mills is “probably a little further away” than Sidney Jones.
  • Golden Tate can contribute in the return game: “I think it’s something that we’ll look at, but again, it’s all part of being asked to do certain things. We’ve just got to be careful with it.”

I will update “this space” when we get the final injury report.

Edit:

Jones and Mills are out. Johnson is questionable.

• Jimmy from Mount Holly November 9, 2018 at 1:54 pm

Take the bengals this week. Saints are due for a letdown after the last 2 weeks . Bengals win outright

• Jonnie thick dick November 9, 2018 at 2:15 pm

The Cuz laid it out perfectly today. Can’t wait for Sunday Night!!!!!

• Video vic November 9, 2018 at 2:23 pm

Pretty sure I saw Kyles chick in one of those dancing bear videos. Girls got skills.

• Kinky cried on election night November 9, 2018 at 2:24 pm

It’s “punter returner”, moron.

They’re gonna put someone out there to fvcking catch it and run 2 yards. It doesn’t matter. We don’t need 6 of your copypasta blogs about it.

• Kevin Kinkead November 9, 2018 at 3:21 pm

then fuck off to some other blog

• The silent majority November 9, 2018 at 3:27 pm

Fuck you! You pussy ass white guilt liberal scum

• Kevin Kinkead November 9, 2018 at 3:39 pm

yeah that’s me, total liberal

• Time to Fire Kinker November 9, 2018 at 5:33 pm

Total bitch ass tiny foot queer is what you are! Loser hipster douchebag

• Alpha males vote republican November 9, 2018 at 2:40 pm

Give Kevin a break. It has to be hard going throw life with such freakishly small feet… they look like hooves.

• Brandon walsh November 9, 2018 at 2:48 pm

You ain’t kidding. I’ve never seen a normal sized man with feet that small. Creepy.

• Meeeeee tooooo November 9, 2018 at 2:51 pm

I heard gritty already fucked the shit out of wingston.

• Just non-stop Cowboys rivalry talk on these local moronic stations November 9, 2018 at 5:08 pm

There is no rivalry and there basically hasn’t been since the early nineties when the Cowboys were winning Super Bowls. How can a team that rarely makes the playoffs and never wins any playoff games be a rival. They are 3-5, let me repeat that 3-5!!! This is like saying Patriots have rivals in the AFC East. If you want to tell me the Steelers and Bengals are rivals this year I will go for that. One team is 5-3 the other is 6-2-1. You people are all reliving the Buddy years or the games in the seventies when Dick was here. Then you have E$kin, I mean Clown$kin with his nonsense. Begging for Cowboys fans to call. Mac-Cow, another host obsessed with a non-rivalry. Obviously someone thinks this is non-contest with the Birds a touchdown favorite. To make this game even less important there are two teams in the NFC playing on another level being the Rams and Saints and the Birds have to play both teams before the playoffs even begin. But both stations, give me your me your Cowboy h8te. Seriously, can we wait until they at least get competitive again and get rid of their lame coach.

• Enough is Enough November 11, 2018 at 7:15 am

Please stop allowing the weird comments. No other blogs allow an avenue to let these Godless people take the stage. Your blogs are great and insightful. Tell management that the weirdos have to be censored. Anybody who’s sick of these crackpots please chime in