Report: Phillies Could Be Players for Both Harper and Machado

PHOTO CREDIT: EVAN HABEEB-USA TODAY SPORTS

We’re only a couple days into baseball’s free agency period, but unless you care about who Bryce Harper is following on Twitter, there hasn’t been much to digest to this point.

Enter Jon Heyman with this tasty morsel:

Everything is on the table? Harper AND Machado?

My heart, it flutters in anticipation. Come gentle princes and lead us forth.

I don’t think it’s going to happen. Actually, I have no idea, but I’m conditioned for sadness and disappointment, so let’s
go with that.

I’m also pretty sure dumping a combined $75 million a year for the next decade into two players isn’t the best path to a title, but I would absolutely do it because I thrive off instant gratification, and I like shiny new things.

To that end, I’m encouraged by this news because it appears increasingly likely the Phillies are going to spend money. They have to. And not that pacifying a hungry fan base should necessitate handing out $350-$400 million contracts, but the Phillies will have a major perception problem on their hands if they don’t seal the deal on some primo talent this winter.

Do it, Middleton. Do it.

• Bwanks has nothing original to say November 5, 2018 at 9:18 pm

CB formula

1. Copy
    2. Paste
    3. Inane commentary
    4. Repeat

BWanks has this nailed!

• BWanksCB November 5, 2018 at 9:37 pm

Maybe I can make up free agency rankings, make guesses without commentary, and make up my own rumors. Sounds good, I’ll give it a try.

I do appreciate you checking in three times, under three different names, over the past three days to make condescending, “inane” and otherwise worthless comments.

• Steve Mason Elite Unemployed NHL Goalie November 5, 2018 at 11:50 pm

Harper is going to Chicago or the Yankees. Machado will sign with some outlier like Colorado or something. He’s damaged goods.

The Phillies fucked the dog here.

• Popcorns Ready November 6, 2018 at 6:09 am

This is going to be funnier than when the 6ers didn’t land Liberlbron, George, Khawi this past off season.

• Money bets November 6, 2018 at 6:16 am

They don’t get either one.

• Gene November 6, 2018 at 6:59 am

The media is telling us that the Dems will sweep today…. didn’t they say that Hillary would win by a landslide? Lol.

• Mitch Cumsteen November 6, 2018 at 7:12 am

They will get one of the washed up closers. And trade Santana to open up first for Hoskins. And they will overpay. For Markakus. That’s all.

• Tom byron November 6, 2018 at 7:42 am

I am loving how Bwanks is dominating these choads in the comment section! He may only be 5 inches full bore, but the guys shoots some pretty thick ropes.

• NBC should have flexed out of Birds/Boys game November 6, 2018 at 9:28 am

After losing last night at home Cowboys are irrelevant and have no chance to even compete for a Wild Card. Most fans would prefer this to be a 1 or 4 pm game. The game will still get good ratings but this game will be over by halftime. The Seahawks/Rams or Saints/Bengals are more competitive and all the teams are playing for something. Unfortunately to flex games you need more lead time. Sean Lee is out for Boys so that makes the team even worse on defense. Final score. Eagles 35-Cowboys 10.

• Scott From Barrington November 6, 2018 at 9:30 am

Phils Should Put Brother Rhys back at 1B. Total reconstruction of rest of the roster.

Phils should pass on the High Priced Brother Bryce + Brother Manny and gobble up the rest of the top free agents. C-Grandal, CF- Pollock, LF – Brantley,3B -Donladson, SS- Marwin Gonzlez, 2B- Lowrie/Murphy etc etc. Go out and get 6-7 everyday plus mlb players instead of 2 prima donnas. Peace out. I’ll let you get back to to your business.