Markelle Fultz is Dealing with a Nerve Issue in his Shoulder and Neck Area

Photo credit: Greg M. Cooper-USA TODAY Sports

You may recall a few weeks ago we wrote about a Markelle Fultz conspiracy theory that was making the rounds on social media.

This theory posited that Markelle was dealing with nerve damage in the shoulder and neck area, resulting in the hindrance of his ability to shoot a basketball.

He’s been out of the lineup for more than a week now, seeing specialists at the direction of his agent, Raymond Brothers. This evening, ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski shared information from Brothers regarding the results of those consultations.

Woj:

As I’ve mentioned before, the Sixers have said that Markelle Fultz is not injured and that there is no lingering issue from the scapular muscular imbalance that kept him out of action for much of last year.

The last discussion we had with both Brett Brown and Markelle regarding this situation dates back to November 6th, when the topic came up in regard to the deleted Drew Hanlen tweet which suggested that the Sixers’ second-year guard was “still not healthy.”

Said Brown on 11/6:

“You know, I think nobody is ever 100% healthy. To the best of my knowledge he’s healthy enough to go do what he’s doing. I only (recently) learned about the, what was it.. what do we call it? The tweet.. (Markelle) will speak for himself, but he’s been playing basketball and doing well. He’s fine.”

Brown went on to reiterate that there was no “conspiracy theory” surrounding Fultz or his health.

Markelle himself then spoke to the media a few minutes later:

Are you 100% healthy or close to it?

“For sure. I mean, nobody is ever 100% healthy in this game. You play five games in seven days and you get bumps and bruises. That’s life in the NBA. It’s the stuff you signed up for when you get here. But I’m working every day to get better.”

Brown and general manager Elton Brand then spoke to the media on November 20th, on the same day that it was revealed that Fultz would no longer play until he was finished seeing specialists.

Said Brand on 11/20:

“We thought it was the regular bumps and bruises, going to China, having the most back-to-backs in the league and playing an aggressive schedule. You ask (Markelle), he says publicly on the record – we didn’t push him or say, ‘you have to say this’ – he said he feels good. There’s nothing that we saw medically that didn’t allow him to play. He played last night, he played two nights ago. Ever since Jimmy Butler came and he wasn’t starting, I felt like he played pretty well. I was proud of him and the way he bounced back from a lot of things.”

And Brown answered these two questions specifically:

Were there any indications that something was wrong with his shoulder?

I mean, really, it’s kind of the first real sort of red-flag-type news. I played him 20-something minutes four days ago and I thought he played OK. In fact, I thought he did well. I think he’s having a good year. You know, it’s one of those things last night. The gym was flat. We needed some energy. And I went with TJ. You all know what I know. That’s what he does. It’s an injection. It wasn’t even a result of anything Markelle did. We just needed a jolt and he gave it to us, as none of us would be surprised to see him do. And so this news about his shoulder, it did catch me off guard. But if it’s that real that he needs to go seek further sort of consultation, then we support him. In my eyes, it’s not complicated. Like, that’s what it is and we’ll support him.

To be clear, it was communicated to you from the medical staff that Markelle was 100% healed from his scapular imbalance? There were no lingering issues?

It was my understanding. Yes, it was. We’ve all together gone through this with Markelle and Markelle with us. It was my understanding that it was pointing in the right direction, that it was good. I was playing him. He’s lifting weights. Like, it’s all good. And so this situation has come up and we’ll deal with it.

I’m not sure what else to add beyond the on-record quotes we were given from all parties. Markelle addressed this himself in the past month and did not give any indication that he was dealing with a shoulder issue.

Edit:

This is confirmed by the Sixers, who put out a press release a short time ago:

STATEMENT FROM PHILADELPHIA 76ERS VICE PRESIDENT OF ATHLETE CARE DR. DANIEL MEDINA:
DEC. 4, 2018 — Markelle Fultz has recently completed a thorough series of consultations with specialists across several disciplines. Thoracic outlet syndrome, which involves compression or irritation in the thoracic outlet (area between lower neck and upper chest), was identified.
Physical therapy was recommended for Fultz before returning to play.
Fultz will begin this physical therapy immediately, is out indefinitely, and further updates will be provided as appropriate.

• Mike from Montclair December 4, 2018 at 5:19 pm

Fake injury . What a pussy . Wear your hood pussy

• DSDM December 4, 2018 at 5:29 pm

I smell a lawsuit coming and a contingency for an insurance payout.

• Allen Rothenburg December 4, 2018 at 5:56 pm

At least we know who to hire!!!

• Leonard Lundy December 4, 2018 at 8:30 pm

Fuck that!

• Meeeeee tooooo December 4, 2018 at 5:38 pm

This just in Fultz vaginal mesh has torn aswell. It gonna be a long road back for him.

• Chuck December 4, 2018 at 5:41 pm

Your readers continue to prove themselves as some of the dumbest fans in the universe. I would hate to be there wife and contract cancer. Ivan hear them tell her to “suck it up!”

• Big bird December 4, 2018 at 5:55 pm

Bogus/junk diagnosis . Fraud ass player and kid.

• Chuck December 4, 2018 at 6:14 pm

I’m saying that and looked at my spelling. Mea culpa.

• long time caller, first time listener December 4, 2018 at 6:50 pm

Who do you believe here Kink? Fultz’s team is shady as hell, but the Sixers medical staff doesn’t have a great track record either. It’s very possible this kid has legit nerve damage and the crackpot doctors on this medical staff either missed it or even worse knew about it and said he was healthy anyway. Remember that video of him in Memphis tying his shoe and then twitching when he stands up?

Then again, this dude and his agent maybe just found a quack to give them the diagnosis they were looking for. Who knows, but all sides look terrible here

• Kevin Kinkead December 4, 2018 at 9:35 pm

I honestly have no clue. I’ve never seen any story like this one.

• Anon dude w TOS December 4, 2018 at 7:29 pm

I have TOS, and for just a little insight it goes like this. One minute you may feel fine, the next your whole arm starts getting painful pins and needles. A nerve is literally getting punched somewhere in shoulder from injury. Ive had it for about 4 weeks, doing physical therapy which has improved it. First couple weeks were painful. But it still gets numb even now when I sit a certain way and takes a minute to feel normal again. I can’t see playing basketball with it, because as soon as you raise your arm up and forward the numbness and pain returns.

• Chief Jay Strongbow December 4, 2018 at 7:44 pm

When Mike miss jumped to tv last summer they did overhead shots and you saw your typical pre AAARP thinning hair dome, from my recollection. Today they did the same overhead tv shot and it looks like MM has the head of hair of an 19 year old. Huge contrast. Dr Blatt? Anyone else notice that or am I confusing MM with someone else?

• Joey Buttafuoco December 4, 2018 at 8:16 pm

That’s hilarious!! I was thinking the same thing . Good hair doctor whoever he went to get the plugs at

• The Cuz December 4, 2018 at 8:31 pm

Pre AARP?

He’s at least 63.

• the fanny doctor December 4, 2018 at 9:32 pm

you all should see it from my end

• B Bluntz December 4, 2018 at 7:52 pm

I have no reason to believe Markelle is being anything other than truthful and I’m really thankful we have a diagnosis now so a treatment plan can be put in place and hopefully he can recover. This is the absolute best time for him to be in rehab; we have Butler to take the spotlight off of Markelle and an open roster spot to get some help in Markelles absence. For everybody bagging on the kid, what do you want to do? Trading him right now would be folly; his value is at it’s lowest and we would recoup none of the two first rounders we’ve invested in him. Let the kid heal and give him a chance.

Would all of you Fultz haters really want to trade him now; only to potentially see him recover on another team and turn into a stud PG? That’s way more of a nightmare than letting him rehab and ride this situation out.

• Kyle Stinks December 5, 2018 at 9:06 am

Him becoming a stud point guard is not a major concern of mine being that he stinks.

• Andrew Bynum December 4, 2018 at 8:38 pm

Hey Markelle! How’s the neck?
    Don’t come back too soon..

• Ben Simmons Lakers Watch December 4, 2018 at 9:25 pm

Now they need to be up front about how this injury happened in the first place. Nobody ever prints that.

• Serious Question December 4, 2018 at 11:06 pm

If he had numbness/pain, why not just come out and say that’s what you have instead of telling everyone you’re fine, conveniently right after you’re demoted?

If this kid is actually hurt, he’s handled the situation as poorly as possible. It’s not as if he’s some fringe guy who won’t get a chance if he says he can’t play.