Skip Bayless Says the Eagles Should Trade Carson Wentz

via FS1

I know what you’re thinking –

Who gives a shit what Skip Bayless has to say?

Personally, I don’t, but if you’re a “keep Nick Foles and trade Carson Wentz” person, you now find yourself on the same side of history as this guy:

I don’t see any wrong choice regarding the Foles vs. Wentz thing. You can win with both players. The Eagles will win with Carson Wentz as their quarterback in 2019. They can also win with Nick Foles as their quarterback in 2019. This does not make me a fence sitter, but a pragmatist, and we should be appreciative of the fact that this is a good problem to have. It’s the best kind of problem to have.

But if you’re Kyle or Investor Mike or one of the pro-Foles people out there, you now are firmly aligned with Skip, whether you want to be or not.

After the jump, the rationale:

On Foles:

• Johnny Nas January 8, 2019 at 12:16 pm

The point of trading Wentz is to win for many years after 2019, this is a chance to truly build a dynasty.

• So Taguchi - Phillies Legend January 8, 2019 at 12:17 pm

I’m already on record…if Nick takes us to or wins the SuperBowl again this year, I will drive Carson to the airport.

• Johnny wad January 8, 2019 at 12:18 pm

Kev, you play 3 instruments? Which ones? And who are your top 5 bands?

• So Taguchi - Phillies Legend January 8, 2019 at 12:24 pm

My guesses are mouth harp, kazoo, and triangle. The triple threat.

• Chase butley January 8, 2019 at 12:30 pm

Definitely the skin flute.

• Kevin Kinckade January 8, 2019 at 12:49 pm

5-Stained
      4-Gin Blossoms
      3-Radiohead
      2-Blink182
      1-Pissed Jeans

• Kyle Stinks January 8, 2019 at 12:54 pm

Ahh a Pissed Jeans reference…..Nazareth High School stand up!!

• Big barry January 8, 2019 at 1:44 pm

I hate Pissed Jeans. Typical hipster bullshit. Kicker plays the sitar? No wonder he likes soccer. Choad.

• Franz January 8, 2019 at 1:44 pm

Air Conditioning is way better than Pissed Jeans.

• Kevin Kinkead January 8, 2019 at 12:59 pm

oboe, xylophone, and sitar

• Cole January 8, 2019 at 1:45 pm

God you’re a loser

• Connor January 8, 2019 at 12:19 pm

If Foles wins again I will take all of his 11 inches down my throat.

• Do you want Doink Doink? Yeah...let’s do it January 8, 2019 at 12:24 pm

I agree that the Eagles can win with either QB going forward. Don’t get me wrong…I still love Wentz but I feel this puts me and anybody else that feels either QB is the right choice in the Foles camp since Wentz surely gets you a bigger return on the trade market. Lots of hole to fill in this roster (OL, DL, DB, LB, RB, WR) and the return the team would get for Wentz could really speed up the rebuild of this roster

• Johnny Nas January 8, 2019 at 12:29 pm

The rebuild and holes you mentioned cant get filled when Wentz gets that MAX contract. Look at other teams when QBs receive the max, Rodgers, Brees, Wilson….None have won the SB after the qb have received the max.

Big D_ck Nick will command less dollars and allow us to fill those holes with the money saved and the compensation gained from moving Wentz. It’s really not a difficult decision if you are trying to build a team for the future and not the next year or 2. Another Qb can be drafted over the next 3-4 years to take the reigns from Foles, when needed.

• Jeff Garcia January 8, 2019 at 12:32 pm

I agree with Skip.

• Phil Theecolards January 8, 2019 at 12:40 pm

I’m a Wentz guy. IT would take a kings ransom for me to be cool with trading him, but i would definitely listen.
    2019 first and third, 2020 first and third/4th.
    Try and grab that Lawrence kid from Clemson in 2020. That dude is going to break every QB record in the book.

• Gene January 8, 2019 at 12:47 pm

I don’t care about wins. I just want our QB to be hung like a bull.

• Hextall's Glasses January 8, 2019 at 1:20 pm

This stuff just doesn’t bother me like it used to. Winning the Super Bowl relieved a lot of pent up hatred. Now I’m just enjoying the ride. Gonna be tough to win in a Stadium the Saints clearly cheat in though.

• Da cuz January 8, 2019 at 1:53 pm

Bo, dats a totah violation. Youse fugazzi.

• NFL hofer Ray d January 8, 2019 at 1:58 pm

Sigh
      {long pause looking at notes on yellow legal pad}
      Boy you’re right, Brees is tough to beat in that building. Keys to the game: front 4 gets to Brees, offense takes care of the ball, Foles plays another clutch game.

• ill trade wentz if the following happens January 8, 2019 at 1:51 pm

1)He has to lead us to title
    2)He has to restructure and gurantee himself a 2 year extension, so 3 years.
    3)Pay him roughly 80-85 mill for that contract.

If im trading Wentz im only trading him to AFC where I only see him once every 4 years. Think about it

Oakland has what 4 first rounders this year, what if Gruden (who loves QBs) says hell give you 2.
    If Jacksonville wants to give me a one and Ramsey
    Or if Denver gives me a one and two this year, and a one next year…IM ALL IN!

Its not like Wentz was the last Franchise QB who will ever be created.

I will not trade him in the NFC and especially in this division, ive heard talk of the Giants 1 this year, plus Saquon. but thats not enough for me, cause if were wrong, he could torch us 20 times over the next 10 years.

But if we go out to NO and get Waxed this week, this is all a naught conversation, everyone loves Nick, but forgets about Wentz and how good this team was pre injury last year.

Then they all just say well Nick came in and we started winning, but dosent think the team is any different either.

Last year, that team was so good, any of us commentors had a good, realistic shot at getting this team the title.
    This year, its different, but if he does it this year, considering what he would have to go through, with winning on the raod, against best possible opponets and beating playoff teams in RAMS/Texans to get there in first place, thats saying something.

• Skippy Biless January 8, 2019 at 2:10 pm

Look at zit necked Carsons record against winning teams. He’s a front runner, trade him now and rebuild while being a perennial Super Bowl contender

• come on people January 8, 2019 at 2:44 pm

This is why people like you I cant stand.

So we had 3 losses last year one against the Chiefs another against Seattle on the road in probably the two hardest stadiums in the leauge to play in. THe 3rd one he dindt play in. So if we are just looking at last year.

That means:
        week6 thursday night against carolina on road on short week (W)
        the following week against the skins who had a winning record at that point (W)
        the first cowboy game when they had winning record (W)
        oh and were just forgetting how he slayed the rams up and down the field last year….that d had no answer….
        he also beat the chargers which turned out to be a pretty good team, all be it early in the year…
        the schedule is the schedule….

so you wanna turn it to this year…

Go right ahead, you know as well as I do, at no point in this entire season was he healthy, regardless of what was said in terms of clearance. You have eyes you cant be this nieve.

I told you ill trade the Guy, cause Nick comes out a cheaper price (for a shorter time) and the haul for Carson could be a small ransom, but lets no t go nuts here.

I mean is Aaron Rodgers a good QB, howd he do against winning teams this year, ill wait!

• I can do this all day January 8, 2019 at 3:01 pm

How many 4th quarter come back wins does Zitty neck Carson have? I’ll wait

• jebus January 8, 2019 at 7:32 pm

carson didnt shit all over himself all game and have to win at he end. nick has more game winning drives but also has more games where he played bad all game. sunday was one such example. jump ball int in redzone? wtf was that garbage.

• Wat a bag of douche January 8, 2019 at 9:59 pm

How bout that giant game in week3

Generational qbs should shit can bad teams he did that last year..why come back if not trailing..

You should look up 3rd down and redzone last year if not I’ll do it for you..your point sucks

• Idiot January 8, 2019 at 10:03 pm

Also wheres my arod answer

• really January 8, 2019 at 2:50 pm

ok lets do that??

Not sure whaat you are getting at here!

Take the KC Game and Seattle game out of it, probably 2 of the hardest buildings to play at in the league, if we are just going by last year…

he beat…
        Panthers (winning record)

• Call me "Ed" January 8, 2019 at 2:28 pm

Trading Foles out of the conference or getting him cheap are not options. His contract as a “mutual option.” Birds can re-sign him for $20 million. BUT, he can void that option by paying back $2 million of his last signing bonus. In other words, Foles has more control over where he ends up as far as the rest of the league than the Eagles do.

• Wrong January 8, 2019 at 2:57 pm

Eagles can franchise tag Foles.

• Call me "Ed" January 8, 2019 at 5:05 pm

Franchise tag is for players not under contract. Foles current contract has these terms for 2019. Per ESPN: “There is a mutual option for 2019 in Foles’ deal. The ball falls in the Eagles’ court first. They have the right to extend Foles’ contract through 2019 at the price of $20 million, which would become fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the league year. If they choose to exercise that option, Foles has about a week to decide whether he wants to take that payday and remain in Philly next season or void the contract. If he opts to void the contract, Foles would have to give the Eagles $2 million, effectively buying his way into free agency.”

• Call me "Ed" January 8, 2019 at 5:20 pm

I’m wrong… they evidently CAN franchise tag him. either to keep him or try to trade him. It just sticks a bigger price tag on him, which doesn’t make sense in either scenario.

• Call me "Ed" January 8, 2019 at 5:28 pm

Franchise tag for QB, based on 2018 salaries: $28.65 million. For what it’s worth.

• We hold his furure January 8, 2019 at 10:05 pm

Hes right

• i wasnt talkin about foles January 8, 2019 at 2:31 pm

i clearly stated, ill trade wentz.

if the followng happens.

• Call me "Ed" January 8, 2019 at 5:09 pm

I was talking to the people who were saying “Foles will command less money” and “trade him to the AFC so you only have to face him every four years.” Eagles would have to exercise their option to pay him $20 million to control where they trade him, but if Nick’s agents think they can get more on the open market, it only costs them $2 million to take control of his destination.

• If Kink is so bad, then why are you on here to read his work? January 8, 2019 at 2:59 pm

they can franchise tag him after he declines the option….
    Foles at 4 years 100 mil isnt exactly a cheap deal when you consider the draft picks you acquired for Wentz have slotted salary numbers. Obtaining several first round picks is expensive all 4 years. Most of you on here are full on MORONS

• reality is January 8, 2019 at 3:57 pm

is it easier, to use number 1s that have a cap number for the rookie deal in the first 5 years, or is it chepear to go and build through FA, and get guys who want to get paid.

I mean–look at the Cowboys line and Entire D still on rookie deals, along with the RB and QB….
      Same with the Saints, look at thier draft from last year….

Getting picks, that can be controlled and have a fixed cap number is much better then building through FA, says this moron!

• Call me "Ed" January 8, 2019 at 5:14 pm

No they can’t if he pays back the $2 million. That’s why it’s called a “mutual option.”

• Call me "Ed" January 8, 2019 at 5:22 pm

Apologies… they evidently CAN still franchise him. Not sure what that would be at QB position, but much more than $20 million I would think.

• Call me "Ed" January 8, 2019 at 5:30 pm

$28.65 million, based on 2018 salaries.

• Foles Gold January 8, 2019 at 10:53 pm

I am rooting for Nick but I bet most GMs see this as fools gold and fear he can’t translate with a different team and chemistry.

Anyone who wants to trade Wentz is a moron and is why the rest of the nation laughs at Philly sports fans and sports radio.

• Regressing to the Mean January 9, 2019 at 12:22 am

Trading future multi All Pro Wentz, and Foles turning back into a pumpkin would be the most Philly thing ever. Don’t let a little winning get to you head and forget how these stories typically play out here.

• So Taguchi - Phillies Legend January 9, 2019 at 8:53 am

A little winning = THE FIRST SUPERBOWL WIN IN FRANCHISE HISTORY VS THE PATRIOTS.

• taguchi was a joke January 9, 2019 at 9:49 am

AGAIN….on a team that was loaded and had unreal leadership from its vets…

If brian dawkins never played here, then you would all have way more respect for Malcom Jenkins as to what he does on the field and his value in the locker room.

They won thier first SB in franchise history in part because of the QB yes, but Nick had no pressure on him in that entire game, and the Dline made one play late, oh what you think that without the play we were gonna win 38-33 The Goat was up and down the field unstoppable the whole damn 2nd half.

• Common Sense January 10, 2019 at 9:39 am

Future multi all pro Wentz? How many young QBs do we see look amazing one year, and average for the rest of their career. How do you know that Wentz hasn’t turned back into a pumpkin this year like all of the other QBs in the league who rely on their legs too much? He’s more talented because he can run faster than Foles? Letting Foles go to NY where he hands the ball off to Saquon Barkley if he doesn’t like the defensive look and throwing jump balls to Beckham while Wentz sits on IR would be the most Philly thing ever..

I like them both but it’s foolish to downplay what Foles is doing for this team. What we have seen from him (and it could end this Sunday) over the past year will likely end up being the best QB play we’ll see in an Eagles uniform for the rest of our lives. The catch 22 with trading Wentz for picks is, by the time some of these picks are ready to make a big contribution to the team, Foles will be 33-34. You’re better off keeping Wentz and rebuilding through the draft than leaving Foles to work with a bunch of younger guys.