The Concept of the Mailbag Post

Sometimes media outlets do “mailbag” articles to answer questions from fans. It’s like a Q/A or an “ask me anything” concept; i.e. you solicit questions and then people get to see their name or their Twitter handle on your site.

We don’t do mailbags at Crossing Broad, probably because 15% of the questions would be legitimate and the other 85% would be people just making fun of my feet, or Bob’s hair line, or Phil’s Premier League picks, or something along those lines.

But other outlets do this frequently, usually on a Friday, as an easy end-of-week post that helps connect you with readers.

Kyle Neubeck at Philly Voice did a mailbag post today, and he led off with a hypothetical question about trading Joel Embiid for Anthony Davis. He shared the post on Twitter with this description:

“I firmly wouldn’t do it, but I think that’s a fascinating hypothetical at least.”

Yeah, I wouldn’t do it either, but it’s probably interesting to some people to explore the Embiid/Davis thing to see what each guy does well, how they differ, and where their skill sets overlap.

Some people, however, couldn’t get past the headline and/or were so offended that the topic was even broached, so they responded with stuff like this:

Seems a bit excessive.

I mean, the writer clearly states that it’s a “hypothetical” that he “firmly wouldn’t do,” and the guy says he’s going to stop following him.

More after the jump:

Literally written in the first paragraph of the actual story:

To be clear: I did not ask for that hypothetical, I don’t think trading Joel Embiid for just about anyone is wise, and the odds that he would ever be traded for Anthony Davis are slim to none. I want to make sure that is clear from the jump because lord knows I do not need people suggesting I am itching to trade the best and most beloved Sixers player since Allen Iverson.

More:

Here’s the second paragraph from the article:

However, the Sixers mailbag is a product of the people, and this is one of the many questions you folks had for me this week. Since I am a man of the people, and since that is easily the splashiest question I received, that’s where we will start off this week.

Got it?

Okay here’s more:

Right.

So let’s rewind:

  1. writer takes questions for a mailbag story
  2. a reader asks if the Sixers should swap Joel Embiid for Anthony Davis
  3. writer says no, explains that in Tweet, but puts together eight good paragraphs exploring the hypothetical
  4. people can’t get past the Tweet or the headline and whine and complain

This is the world we’re living in.

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on email
Email

8 Comments

  • Little Johnny is a little wastoid January 28, 2019 at 3:46 pm

    The Sixers are a level B team at best.
    Won’t win the division or conference this year.
    go back to drooling over the convict Meek Mill.

    Reply
  • ... January 28, 2019 at 3:49 pm

    Man, you guys really are kings of content. Terrific stuff.

    Reply
  • Google Me! January 28, 2019 at 4:53 pm

    Cool article, Kevin. Phil’s Premier League picks deserve to be made fun of more than they are.

    Reply
  • Social David Justice January 28, 2019 at 8:57 pm

    I’m shocked and appalled. We didn’t need this trade mansplained to us by a Cis White Male.

    Reply
  • Mr. McFeely Speedy Delivery January 28, 2019 at 10:08 pm

    What the f%$k. I thought this clickbait post was going to be about mailbags. LIke actual, literal effing mailbags. My back is killing me running around the neighborhood of make-believe dropping off amazon prime to all those puppet f#$ks! I want to invest in a new ergonomic mailbag because my back is shot and Mrs. McFeely is tired of riding me and won’t give me any more special deliveries unless I pound her danny tiger style like we did back when I was a young mail delivery person in training. Speaking of the neighborhood of make-believe, that’s where any idiot who entertains trading Embiid lives. Fred was right, there are a lot of dumb f$%ks and it’s scary. Where are the helpers??? Kinkead is NOT a helper!

    Reply
  • Welcome to 2019 January 29, 2019 at 6:03 am

    I like how this guy is shocked that white, liberal, NBA fans can’t read and lack comprehension skills.

    Reply
  • I would dump Joel, Jimmy and Ben in a NY minute January 29, 2019 at 8:31 am

    To get the “Unibrow”.

    Reply
  • Flyers Fan January 29, 2019 at 7:02 pm

    Is anyone not offended by everything anymore? Discussion is a word that is not even used by our society anymore, let alone actually done.

    Reply
  • Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *