Bryce Harper, you are the man!
Running thread here for all relevant Harper updates.
Jeff Passan and others say the deal is $330 million dollars over 13 years with no opt out:
Bryce Harper’s deal with the Phillies will be for 13 years and $330M, league sources tell ESPN. It will not include any opt-outs.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) February 28, 2019
Bryce Harper’s deal with the #Phillies is 13 years, $330 million. The length of deal spreads out the cash flow and lowers the AAV which is important as Phillies try to sign future talent.
— Todd Zolecki (@ToddZolecki) February 28, 2019
Source: “No opt outs. Harper didn’t want one.”
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) February 28, 2019
Holy crap. That’s… like forever. Harper will be 39 years old by the time this thing expires. I’ll be 47. And a bunch of people were reporting over the past 72 hours that the opt out was the hold up here, which looks to be not true. We will have to go back through all of those stories at some point to see who knew what they were talking about and who didn’t.
Harper apparently will have a full no-trade clause as well, after the jump:
Source: Harper receives full no-trade clause in deal with Phillies.
— Mark Feinsand (@Feinsand) February 28, 2019
Damn, I guess he did want to be here after all. Bryce Harper is a “Philly guy!” Lololol.
Tell ’em, Alshon:
Philadelphia the place to be!!!
— Alshon Jeffery (@TheWorldof_AJ) February 28, 2019
YUPPPP @Bharper3407 PHILLY is the place to be 😎😎😎😎!!!! WELCOME
— fletcher cox (@fcoxx_91) February 28, 2019
— Jimmy Rollins (@JimmyRollins11) February 28, 2019
Bobi, Tobi and Bryci? 🤔
— Tobias Harris (@tobias31) February 28, 2019
Smash Mouth weighing in!
$$$ talks. It really does. Sorry, Smash Mouth, you can’t him.
Jon Heyman is on right now with WIP.
- both sides (Phillies and Scott Boras) came of the Arrieta deal with respect
- Bryce Harper and Gabe Kapler “hit it off great,” thinks they are similar type personalites
- John Middleton “drove the bus,” but was reeled in a bit by Andy MacPhail and Matt Klentak as far as reading the market, but this was something Middleton really wanted
- feels like the Phillies are “as good as anybody” in a tough division
- he’s a little surprised that they went 13 years considering that last year was not his best year statistically, think that affected the deal taking so long to get done
- feels like Harper is giving a full commitment to Philadelphia, reports that he was not enamored with Philadelphia “go out the window”
Think about this, an opening day roster for the Phils:
- Cesar Hernandez
- Bryce Harper
- Jean Segura
- Rhys Hoskins
- J.T. Realmuto
- Andrew McCutchen
- Odubel Herrera
- Maikel Franco
- Aaron Nola
Something like that, yeah? Pick whatever order, I don’t care. These boys are gonna rake.
Remember this account trolling us? –
— MLB The Show (@MLBTheShow) February 28, 2019
Oh my God, check out Jake Arrieta’s response:
View this post on Instagram
Here’s something to put things in perspective. It’s a lot of money:
Bryce Harper will make $25,384,615 this season.
That's $156,695 per game.
Or $39,173 per at bat (average of 4 AB/game)
The average household income in Philadelphia is $41,449 (2016 stats)
Harper will make almost as much in one bat than the average Philly family in a year.
— Hugh Burrill (@hughwburrill) February 28, 2019
Also, people are lining up already to buy Phillies tickets:
— John Clark (@JClarkNBCS) February 28, 2019
And then you have these two guys arguing with each other, of course:
More updates as they come in.