Jameer Nelson’s Son Decommits From St. Joe’s

Jameer Nelson in action for the Pistons
Photo Credit: Raj Mehta-USA TODAY Sports

Phil Martelli fallout.

You knew the Hawks were going to lose some commits when the longtime head ball coach was fired two weeks ago.

Jameer Nelson posted this message on Twitter early this morning:

Jameer’s son is a 6’1″ point guard playing his basketball at The Haverford School. He gave St. Joe’s a verbal commitment and planned to join Martelli as part of the 2020 recruiting class. He also received offers from Hartford, La Salle, Rider, Siena, and St. Peter’s, according to the Inquirer.

The elder Nelson carried the Hawks to a 30-2 record and Elite 8 season back in 2004, then went on to play 14 NBA seasons. He was seen a possible Martelli replacement and actually interviewed for the job.

From Mike Jensen:

“I did have an honest interview, and a follow up face-to-face,’’ Nelson said. “So I definitely was given the opportunity to interview. I was told that I did a good job. What it came down to, some of the other guys just had more coaching experience. I get it. I definitely get it.”

Is there any chance he could end up on the Hawks coaching staff as an assistant?

“That question was asked of me,’’ Nelson said. “At this point, I’m not ready to answer that question, to be honest. I’m trying to take all the emotions out of it.”

I can’t see that happening now.

St. Joe’s has lost other commits in the wake of Martelli’s firing. Roman Catholic’s Hakim Hart pulled out of his verbal, along with Kenan Sarvan, a 6’9″ big from Bishop Sullivan Catholic High School in Virginia.

• Kenny Payne March 29, 2019 at 11:13 am

Is Phil still crying ?

• Shart Shartveit March 29, 2019 at 11:23 am

Angelo Cataldi is going to take a break from demanding that Brett Brown and Gabe Kapler are fired. He is going to let Phil have 4 hours on Monday morning so they can cry together on the radio.

Then Angelo will go right back to demanding that Gabe and Brett are fired.

• Timmay March 29, 2019 at 11:27 am

Doesn’t seem like a big loss, or even a little loss…

• Average joe March 29, 2019 at 11:28 am

The Cuz is so good right now!
    We all love the Cuz so much!

• Cuz March 29, 2019 at 11:36 am

In South Philadelphia born and raised
      On the playground was where cuz spent most of his days
      Chillin’ out maxin’ relaxin’ all cool
      And all shootin some b-ball outside of the school
      When a couple of guys who were up to no good
      Started making trouble in his neighborhood
      Cuz got in one little fight and his mom got scared
      She said ‘You’re movin’ with your auntie and uncle in Washington township

• Bob Marino March 30, 2019 at 12:41 am

I whistled for a cab and when it came near
        The license plate said “Cuz” and had the Italian Flag in the mirror
        If anything I could say that this cab was rare
        But I thought “Nah, forget it, yo cuz to Paul VI

• Real Ity Check March 29, 2019 at 11:32 am

While Phil is absolutely blowing this out of proportion, SJU’s handling of the whole thing has been a case study in bad PR. That he was let go wasn’t a shock to anyone (other than Phil, apparently). But that it was done via a cold, thoughtless memo rather than a press conference was cowardly and stupid on SJU’s part. It says it all that they rushed to hire his replacement and **announce it on Phillies Opening Day** hoping that the story would get lost in the shuffle.

• Wake up March 29, 2019 at 12:20 pm

Phil’s negative reaction to being told about the change by the university president & AD dictated the SJU announcement.

• Real Ity Check March 29, 2019 at 1:39 pm

Not arguing that his reaction meant that Phil couldn’t be part of a peaceful passing of the torch — you’re right, he did that to himself. That said, Phil didn’t need to be a guest of honor at a an elaborate press conference (despite what he thinks) for them to at least have the new AD make the announcement in front of cameras instead of in such a cowardly, passive-aggressive fashion that put the program and the university in a bad light.

• Stick Stickley March 29, 2019 at 11:39 am

“He also received offers from Hartford, La Salle, Rider, Siena, and St. Peter’s” Wow he is getting attention from some real powerhouses!! Major loss for SJU!!!!

• Reality Check March 29, 2019 at 11:49 am

LOL, seriously. Without him, St Joe’s misses the NIT, with him they also miss the NIT.

• Hooter March 29, 2019 at 12:16 pm

Bingo

• Delgreco Wilson March 29, 2019 at 5:17 pm

George Washington offered Nelson today!

• alex April 2, 2019 at 3:15 pm

GW sucks, who cares

• RIP Comments March 29, 2019 at 11:51 am

Man I feel old, Jameer is younger than me and has a kid in high school? My kid is still in diapers

• Mitch Cumsteen March 29, 2019 at 12:14 pm

All racist and homophobic posts will be deleted on the spot.

-Kinkead

• I know! March 29, 2019 at 2:15 pm

It sucks went you can’t be a cowardly on line racist.

LOL – what a punk.

• Kate Devlin March 29, 2019 at 1:01 pm

I hope wherever he goes that he gets a wonderful education!

– Kate

• You’re a Fraud March 29, 2019 at 6:34 pm

It’s funny how Kyle allows racism in the comments but blocks anti-Nova sentiments. I guess they skip logic and philosophy at Villanova?